Other Browsers for Fire HD 8

theeyres

Another question about my Fire HD 8. I read that you could initially load different browsers onto the Fire but that Amazon did a fix so you can no longer do that. I can't seem to find a definitive answer and hate to try it if it won't work. Any input?

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I side loaded the google play store on my fire tablet so I could use the Chrome browser among many other google apps not available in the amazon play store. I couldn't stand the silk default browser. 

Honestly without side loading the google play store and associated apps I like, I wouldn't like the Fire tablet that much. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Just followed those steps and I'm typing this on Opera and used Last Pass to open Escapees...All in the Fire. Worked like a charm. Thanks

I

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

6 hours ago, theeyres said:

Just followed those steps and I'm typing this on Opera and used Last Pass to open Escapees...All in the Fire. Worked like a charm. Thanks

I

Awesome, glad it worked for you! 

Thanks Blue Lightning!

I just updated my 4th Gen Fire HDX 8.9" as it is a currently updated generation, runs Alexa with a push and hold of the home button. I have two other 7" HDX that are too old to run Alexa. But with their beautiful HD plus resolutions I wanted to use them for picture frames. One is 16GB and the other is 64GB of storage. I will try to side load the play store on the two 7" which may not because of age or not, and then try the 8.9" current one. I now use the newest 10"HD with Micro SD card slot and hands free Alexa.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Thanks Blue Lightning!

I just updated my 4th Gen Fire HDX 8.9" as it is a currently updated generation, runs Alexa with a push and hold of the home button. I have two other 7" HDX that are too old to run Alexa. But with their beautiful HD plus resolutions I wanted to use them for picture frames. One is 16GB and the other is 64GB of storage. I will try to side load the play store on the two 7" which may not because of age or not, and then try the 8.9" current one. I now use the newest 10"HD with Micro SD card slot and hands free Alexa.

I figured you already were familiar with all this. :D

Let me know how it turns out for you! 

"No one will ever know all of Word" was a phrase I liked because they all worked on different sections exclusively. No one will ever know all of even one device and its code save a simple one like the original Pi micro running Raspberry Debian.

I had considered looking into it but I don' want to root the 2016 Fire HD 8" or the new Fire HD 10, or the Fire HDX 4th gen which is still supported and does Alexa with a button push like the HD 8.

So I'll give your post a try on the two 7" HDXs.

The picture frame slideshows on Amazon Apps are terrible so now I might be able to do Fotoo from the play store.

I will post back, thanks!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived