Propane fridge cooling unit upgrade

ALLOY

The only way to get at the wiring for the slide switches (to install relays) in out trailer was to pull the Norcold N821 fridge out.

Now that it is out I'm thinking of upgrading the cooling unit. It looks like there is more than one company building upgraded cooling units.

Does anyone have experience with one or the other?

P.S  We dry camp, use a ARP and the DW says we don't need a different fridge. 

Thank you

JT

2011 Cameo 34SB3

What is ARP?

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

28 minutes ago, sundancer268 said:

What is ARP?

It an electronic safety device that monitors boiler temperature and shuts down the fridge if it overheats. I assisted Ray last fall when he installed one on his fridge. Its one of those potential "RV risks" out there and is a persons free choice to assume the risk or take measures (like the ARP safety unit)  to help limit it

https://www.arprv.com/

John T

34 minutes ago, lenp said:

If your frig is working (cooling properly) why would you want to change the cooling unit?????

Wait until it fails.

Lenp

Agree, and if you have an ARP on the old one, you can just transfer it to the new one.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

1 hour ago, oldjohnt said:

It an electronic safety device that monitors boiler temperature and shuts down the fridge if it overheats. I assisted Ray last fall when he installed one on his fridge. 

I helped Paul, the man who designed them put mine in. I also have about 4 years of experience using it and like Mark Nemeth, I recommend it. Mark has had one now for more than 5 years and he addressed them in his Boot Camp classes. It not only works well but it also records the temperatures and you can use the diagnostic tool to read the high and low temperatures experienced by the boiler. It is completely noninvasive of the refrigerator controls as it works by removing power to the refrigerator and restoring it, so it does not violate any warranty. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you want to upgrade the cooling unit look at the Amish new cooling units, I installed one in my Dometic two years ago and could be happier. Start it up and in 4 hours it can be loaded, holds 35' no matter the outside temp. 

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

On 12/6/2017 at 11:30 AM, bobsallyh said:

This is who I got my unit from 6 years ago. I changed it out myself and still good to go. He is in Tucson.

http://www.trailerrefrigeration.com/

5 hours ago, D&J said:

If you want to upgrade the cooling unit look at the Amish new cooling units, I installed one in my Dometic two years ago and could be happier. Start it up and in 4 hours it can be loaded, holds 35' no matter the outside temp. 

Denny

Thanks to both of you!

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Archived