Well, I bought the plane ticket, next week I'll know if I buy a Truck.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Thanks for all the well wishes, I really appreciate them.  I am going to post some photos, the Lady is pretty dirty, the roads are awful here, slush and slime from deicer everywhere but photos were asked for so photos will be posted.

IMG_2626-L.jpg

IMG_2627-L.jpg

IMG_2629-L.jpg

IMG_2628-L.jpg

IMG_2631-L.jpg

IMG_2630-L.jpg

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, rickeieio said:

They're out there.  Here's another, close to me:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/hvo/d/379-peterbilt-379/6416430184.html

Gee...
That looks exactly like the same truck that is near me.  LOL...

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/hvo/d/peterbilt-379-clear-title/6420987283.html

Too good to be true I imagine.

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

Looks Good, 

It's a start but there only a few chicken lights on that truck,  I noticed that the back wheels are Pete oval, the front are generic round hole.     If it has all aluminum wheels perhaps the backs are all oval take a couple of inside IF they are oval for the front.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

9 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Looks Good, 

It's a start but there only a few chicken lights on that truck,  I noticed that the back wheels are Pete oval, the front are generic round hole.     If it has all aluminum wheels perhaps the backs are all oval take a couple of inside IF they are oval for the front.

Steve

Howdy Steve,

Thanks for the tip on the wheels, I'll take a look and see if the inner rear wheels are the oval Pete type.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All 

Again THANKS for all the well wishes 

I just pulled into Stoughton WI booked a motel room for a couple of days meeting Rick and Dana tomorrow morning to get started on the hitch installation 

I really enjoyed the drive today this thing just boggies down the road darned good thing it has cruise control that big engine effortlessly eats the miles when accerating onto the Hwy it’s way to EASY to be speeding before you realize it

I’ll admit it my lust for such a machine has been replaced with love for this darn truck 

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Awesome looking truck! So how is the 18spd autoshift? Does it go through every gear or can your force it to skip shift? 

What do you think about the more classic driving position? Everything you were looking for there. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

8 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

Awesome looking truck! So how is the 18spd autoshift? Does it go through every gear or can your force it to skip shift? 

What do you think about the more classic driving position? Everything you were looking for there. 

Howdy Dan,

I am really liking this 18 speed auto shift, I can put it into 5th gear for bobtail starts, it defaults to start in 3rd, it skips shifts on its own going up and down, I can click the up shift, down shift buttons on the side of the shifter and make it shift so long as what I want to do is within program parameters.  65mph at 1350 rpm in top-18th gear.  So top gear is an over drive as I am running the same axle ratio ( 3.55 ) in the Freightliner and its turning 1425 rpm at 65mph.

I like the smaller cab, the only complaint I have-had is that the rear of the seats don't angle back as much as those on the Freightliner, I am going to stop at a Peterbilt shop sometime and ask if there is something that would allow a few more degrees of backward tilt.  That said, this thing rides like a Cadillac, its very comfortable and after driving it 370 miles today I have gotten used to the more upright seating position so its really not that big of a deal. 

One really great thing is the heater, average temperature today was around 25 degrees F, I had the fan set on its lowest position, the heat dial turned back to where it was just in the heating range of operation and I was very warm and comfortable wearing only a T-Shirt, if the air conditioner works half that good I'll be a very happy camper.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

10 hours ago, mr. cob said:

I was very warm and comfortable wearing only a T-Shirt

Dave

If that is the way you are driving be careful you don't get pulled over. It may be hard to explain to the officer.:D:D

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

3 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Hey Dave, is your seat able to move forward a bit, and then tilt the back to the rear?  Or does the seat mechanism just stop it from tilting back at all?

Howdy Rocky 

The seat moves forward backwards up and down just doesn’t tilt as much as seats I have been used to 

Now that I have driven the truck some distance it doesn’t seem to matter I was comfortable 

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All 

Today was a very productive day Dana and Eric allowed me to assist in fabrication of the hitch mount we got a lot done and if all goes well it should be finished tomorrow 

Thanks to Rick for delivering the hitch that saved time and miles Dana has a good supply of material so everything just clicked along at a good pace 

Thanks to Dana for letting me participate in the build being a fabricator myself I enjoyed having input to how it was done 

I have been taking lots of photos which be posted in the gallery dedicated to this truck I am posting this from my phone as I await dinner I will edit this post to include a link to the Peterbilt gallery when I get back to the motel and my computer 

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All 

The hitch was installed I left from Stoughten Wisconsin at 5:Pm I have fueled up and will be spending the night in Sioux Falls South Dakota 

I will post photos of the installed hitch when I get home and have fast internet the homeward trip is going well I love this truck 

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I'm glad it's love at first drive for you.  I hope things only get better in the long term.  Safe driving over the big rocks!

Have you begun web-shopping for the fully illuminated, genuine chromium plated shifter knobs and low rider seats yet?  <_<

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Howdy All 

Quick situation report 

Well if you have driven through Wyoming in the winter you already know what I am going to say 

Blowing snow freezing snow blinding snow and more snow I was down to 20mph with the flashers on for about 20 miles got into Montana and the roads were very icy quite a few folks in the ditch 

All in all not a bad day covered just over 700 miles I am camping at a truck stop in Billings Montana with luck the roads will be in better shape tomorrow if all goes well I will be home in two days 

Got down to 17 degrees last night I woke up to turn the heat down supposed to get near zero tonight I don’t think I will be cold have I mentioned yet that I love this truck 

Dave

Oh before I forget When it was snowing hard I had to turn off the chicken lights to much light reflecting off 40 acers of white hood to see clearly 

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All 

Quick situation report 

Well if you have driven through Wyoming in the winter you already know what I am going to say 

Blowing snow freezing snow blinding snow and more snow I was down to 20mph with the flashers on for about 20 miles got into Montana and the roads were very icy quite a few folks in the ditch 

All in all not a bad day covered just over 700 miles I am camping at a truck stop in Billings Montana with luck the roads will be in better shape tomorrow if all goes well I will be home in two days 

Got down to 17 degrees last night I woke up to turn the heat down supposed to get near zero tonight I don’t think I will be cold have I mentioned yet that I love this truck 

Dave

Oh before I forget When it was snowing hard I had to turn off the chicken lights to much light reflecting off 40 acers of white hood to see clearly 

Be safe Dave and I can't wait to see it in person at some time. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Howdy All

I am HOME 

Its midnight Pacific Time I just now parked the Peterbilt in the driveway 

Full story of today’s drive will be posted tomorrow you don’t want to miss this episode it will be shared around camp fires for years to come 

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Congratulations.  Glad you made it home safely.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Good to see you made it OK, cant wait to hear the story you have to tell....

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Archived