Well, I bought the plane ticket, next week I'll know if I buy a Truck.

mr. cob

7 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

I did forget about the smart car and one of the main reasons you were shoping for a new truck. However, I was more thinking this would be a temp setup to get you by until you built you bed for the smart and at that time could get the hitch dropped down and where you wanted it and extend the frame if necessary. It didn't sound like you would have a bed built by April anyways and so didn't think you'd be carrying the smart on your first trip? This would just be a quick an easy way to the hitch mounted and have a way to carry your RV when the other truck sells.  

Have you gotten actual measurements of the frame length? I know you need about 55" to clear the trailer at 90 degrees on top of the width of the smart and of course some room from the back of the cab. As far as the hitch height placement in the truck, I doubt it makes much difference on these trucks as long as you get it at the right height for your trailer to carry it level, that's the most important thing. You have some height adjustments on the comfort ride hitch to accomodate the different places you mount it on the truck. There's so little weight on the pin box back there compared to what these trucks are used to carrying, especially on a tandem trruck, I don't think you'd see any difference. I'd say the shorter the pinbox on the trailer, the less stress your transfer to the frame. You already did that by the straight down pin box you built. Do you know what height your trailer needs to be at to ride level? 

Just giving you ideas incase getting the frame extended and hitch mounted before getting back home doesn't work out. Obviously if you find someone to do that for you on the trip home, that's probably the best route. 

Howdy Dan,

I have all the measurements I need to get this done right.  Thanks for your concern.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking truck, Dave.  Someday I may build a classic out....

You want to mount your hitch so your trailer is level. Typically 48" or thereabouts. You may have to adjust your trailer pin box to get level on a 48", but it is pretty much the "standard" height....so switching trailers is less of an "adventure".  Some of the new trailers are pretty high, so 48 may not be possible. But should be the starting target. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

14 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Thanks for the well wishes, so far everything seems to be falling into place, did I ever tell you folks how much I hate waiting..............................................................................  :angry:  yeah, it's that bad.

Dave

Sneak Peek.

88CACB33933F40FCA5F06E8F0BDDFCC8.jpg

Hi Dave,

Now that's a cool looking truck. I like the purple color. I have a question for you. I was looking to see if the DOT number is on the truck from the picture. Do you know if the DOT number is still on the truck ? I would think you would want to have the number removed before you start down the road. That is just a thought.

Be safe,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

4 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Dave,

Now that's a cool looking truck. I like the purple color. I have a question for you. I was looking to see if the DOT number is on the truck from the picture. Do you know if the DOT number is still on the truck ? I would think you would want to have the number removed before you start down the road. That is just a thought.

Be safe,
Al

Howdy Al,

All DOT numbers and signage have been removed from the truck.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 hours ago, noteven said:

70" sleeper - curb side entry door and dinette? check

Nice array of chicken lights? check

Drop visor? check

Centramatic balancers on the steer axle? Check

Howdy noteven,

No dinette, small storage door on curb side.

Chicken lights, a good start on those.

Drop visor, yup.

Centramatic balancers on the steer axle, yup.

I have the feeling that if I drag this thing home it's going to be like buying your Daughter a "Barbi Doll", buying the doll is the cheap and easy part, continually buying new cloths and accessorizes can get darned expensive.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Nice looking truck, Dave.  Someday I may build a classic out....

You want to mount your hitch so your trailer is level. Typically 48" or thereabouts. You may have to adjust your trailer pin box to get level on a 48", but it is pretty much the "standard" height....so switching trailers is less of an "adventure".  Some of the new trailers are pretty high, so 48 may not be possible. But should be the starting target. 

Howdy Jack,

Thanks for the hitch height number, for some reason I had 42 inches in mind but I was sure that wasn't correct.  The other number I have heard tossed around, is that to carry a Smart Car, and still be able to get the truck 90 degrees to the trailer without any damage being done is "11" feet from center of pin to the nearest part on the rear of the truck sleeper, does this number sound correct to you?  I want to keep the over all lenght of the truck as short as possible yet still allow a 90 degree turn if needed.  Thanks for any information you can share.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Rats I thought the driver side sleeper winda = a 70in fancy pants Sleeper.

i guess a guy could extend the wiring to the shifter head so as to have a proper Rat Fink shifter and has it already got proper low rider seats? 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

7 minutes ago, noteven said:

Rats I thought the driver side sleeper winda = a 70in fancy pants Sleeper.

i guess a guy could extend the wiring to the shifter head so as to have a proper Rat Fink shifter and has it already got proper low rider seats? 

Howdy noteven,

Nah, the Auto-Shift lever is standard height, the seats are where they should be, I wear a belt to hold my pants at the proper position so Rat Fink shifters and low rider seats are of no concern to me.  Get off my lawn and turn the darn music down, I am to old and set in my ways for such foolishness.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

47 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Jack,

Thanks for the hitch height number, for some reason I had 42 inches in mind but I was sure that wasn't correct.  The other number I have heard tossed around, is that to carry a Smart Car, and still be able to get the truck 90 degrees to the trailer without any damage being done is "11" feet from center of pin to the nearest part on the rear of the truck sleeper, does this number sound correct to you?  I want to keep the over all lenght of the truck as short as possible yet still allow a 90 degree turn if needed.  Thanks for any information you can share.

Dave

Dave,

I can tell you what we use....but you can compress these a little - there is some room to do so. But I don't recommend it, because if you go on "crooked" you will potentially have an issue.

Pin to 4" clearance space = 51"

4" clearance space to car. Then 74.5" for car footprint - this includes mirrors. Then 4" to drom box or back of cab. This accounts for a 453. If ONLY a 451 then you can snug that up.  So basically, the car and buffer space take up 74.5+4+4. That gives you plenty of room.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

8 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Dave,

I can tell you what we use....but you can compress these a little - there is some room to do so. But I don't recommend it, because if you go on "crooked" you will potentially have an issue.

Pin to 4" clearance space = 51"

4" clearance space to car. Then 74.5" for car footprint - this includes mirrors. Then 4" to drom box or back of cab. This accounts for a 453. If ONLY a 451 then you can snug that up.  So basically, the car and buffer space take up 74.5+4+4. That gives you plenty of room.

This got pretty confusing here!  (it could be me!)  That last formula leaves off the 51".

I'll measure mine again (from Drom) to pin, but as we remember, for drop down box, it was a little short.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

21 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

This got pretty confusing here!  (it could be me!)  That last formula leaves off the 51".

I'll measure mine again (from Drom) to pin, but as we remember, for drop down box, it was a little short.

Yes it does. The car takes up the 74+4+4......then there is whatever you want from the kingpin to the car. We use 51" because we have buffer built into the car space. But if you wanted to use 55" or so, and no buffer in the car space it works out about the same.

www.jackdanmayer.com

7 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Yes it does. The car takes up the 74+4+4......then there is whatever you want from the kingpin to the car. We use 51" because we have buffer built into the car space. But if you wanted to use 55" or so, and no buffer in the car space it works out about the same.

Howdy Jack,

So if I have this right, 75'+4'+4'+51'=134'             134'/12'=11.16" feet or to be SAFE make it 11 feet 5 inches from the center line of the pin to the NEAREST obstruction on the rear of the sleeper.  Is this what your saying?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

One thing to remember with the numbers, if you have a front awning with a vertical support arm bolted at the very front of the trailer, don't forget to add another 2" to the clearance between the car and trailer if you are trying to take everything into account.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

2 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Jack,

So if I have this right, 75'+4'+4'+51'=134'             134'/12'=11.16" feet or to be SAFE make it 11 feet 5 inches from the center line of the pin to the NEAREST obstruction on the rear of the sleeper.  Is this what your saying?

Dave

Yes, that would be it....but do your own very careful measurements. As Dave said, there are sometimes extenuating circumstances. You have to understand your situation. But the above is fairly typical.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Your truck:

WB                         6604mm

Cutoff                   1397mm

FaX-BOC                 2481mm

Cab/axle            4122mm

Cab/EOF               5519mm

Frame                10 ¾, 3/8 rail  1.7-2.1 RBM, don't remember exactly which.

E1200W axle so it actually turns, weighed 9620 frt 8480 rear with no fuel.

Has an inboard 5th wheel so you won't have a set of angles left over when it is taken off.  Low Air leaf has all kinds of junk inside the rail so hitch probably won't fit as-is. 

Your truck:

379 EOF.jpg

18 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Yes, that would be it....but do your own very careful measurements. As Dave said, there are sometimes extenuating circumstances. You have to understand your situation. But the above is fairly typical.

Howdy Jack,

Thanks to you and all the others who have provided information on this and other aspects of the future build, I really do appreciate it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, Scrap said:

Your truck:

WB                         6604mm

Cutoff                   1397mm

FaX-BOC                 2481mm

Cab/axle            4122mm

Cab/EOF               5519mm

Frame                10 ¾, 3/8 rail  1.7-2.1 RBM, don't remember exactly which.

E1200W axle so it actually turns, weighed 9620 frt 8480 rear with no fuel.

Has an inboard 5th wheel so you won't have a set of angles left over when it is taken off.  Low Air leaf has all kinds of junk inside the rail so hitch probably won't fit as-is. 

Your truck:

379 EOF.jpg

Howdy Scrap,

I am sure that is all valuable information, however as I am still learning to speak "truck" could you translate that into English so I can understand it, thanks.:D

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 12/6/2017 at 6:22 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Thanks for the well wishes, so far everything seems to be falling into place, did I ever tell you folks how much I hate waiting..............................................................................  :angry:  yeah, it's that bad.

Dave

Sneak Peek.

88CACB33933F40FCA5F06E8F0BDDFCC8.jpg

She's beautiful - Congratulations!

I too had to look at the name on the hood a little closer - LOL.
And when you said "Sneak Peek" to me it read, "Sneaky Pete". 
Guess I'm a bit tired but, I thought you might have named the truck already which, I thought was cool!

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

19 minutes ago, Stickman81 said:

She's beautiful - Congratulations!

I too had to look at the name on the hood a little closer - LOL.
And when you said "Sneak Peek" to me it read, "Sneaky Pete". 
Guess I'm a bit tired but, I thought you might have named the truck already which, I thought was cool!

Howdy Jim,

If I buy this diamond in the rough, I'll give her a name, every vehicle I have ever owned has a name.  I have been thinking about it but so far nothing has had the right ring to it, it'll happen, it always does.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mntom said:

Dave, just as an FYI, standard pin height of a commercial trailer is 47", so you can measure how much the commercial hitch is off the rails and set your Comfort Ride at the same height.

Howdy Tom,

Thanks for the information.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

10 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Jim,

If I buy this diamond in the rough, I'll give her a name, every vehicle I have ever owned has a name.  I have been thinking about it but so far nothing has had the right ring to it, it'll happen, it always does.

Dave

If you wanted soumething in keeping with the URAL theme, NATASHA is appealing, while BORIS doesn't fit the flashy color scheme.  FEARLESS LEADER would be too ambiguous these days.   😉

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Archived