FCC revisited: Net neutrality changes are misleading and not benign, says Gewirtz

RV_

1 hour ago, Al F said:

What I don't understand about this issue is just why isn't the internet data treated the same as electricity or water coming to a sticks and bricks. 

The electric usage is often brought up as an example of equal access to usage.  However no one seems to want to say I have to pay more for the amount of electric I use. 

That is if I use more electric or water I pay for how much more I use.

On the internet, if I want to watch movies and consume hundreds (thousands???) of gigabytes of data in a month, shouldn't I be charged more than those of us who only consume 20-30GB a month? 

By the same token if Netflix is putting out millions upon millions of gigabytes a day/week/month shouldn't they be paying a lot for that amount of data?

Internet service providers are not classed as "utilities" like the electric and water providers. The industry has long fought against being given that label since it would greatly restrict the ways they could take more money from us. The net neutrality issue isn't about how much data we use, it's about the service providers having control over what we access and how fast we can access it. If a service provider that also owns a streaming service for instance, and wants to prevent us from accessing a competitive streaming service or just slow it down to the point of being unusable, now they'll be able to do that.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

There have been comments that electrical cost is even among the users.  Sorry, there are special electrical rate pricing for large business users, kinda of what the anti-net neutrality proponents say for the Internet.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Mark that was a good explanation. What if an entire region had both their cable companies, like here we have one in Shreveport, and a different one here in Bossier City across the Red River, yet neither competes with the other, they stay on their side of the river. One more thing to add to it. Under Net Neutrality I Pay for my access to the Internet, and Escapees pay for theirs to host this website. Without Net Neutrality the cable providers can decide that Netflix must pay them a "toll" in addition to what they pay for their service with their provider.

What the ISPs (Internet Service Providers) can now do is make any competitor, like Sling TV, which I stream to get the basic cable channels, CNN, and HBO, pay extra until Sling TV costs the same as the cable companies. When they deregulated the ma Bell monopoly, they allowed smaller startups to use the existing telephone infrastructure. I think that would be a good idea for Internet. Then, service and cost become the major competitive differences. We are moving to the Denver area most likely this spring. Where we are moving they have a choice of three ISPs for broadband.

Put even more simply, if Chrysler was the first dealer in your hometown, then Ford would go to the next town so that no other car manufacturer dealers can compete in your city. That is what the big cable providers do.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived