Goose box?

Purple Tractor

We converted our trailer from a gooseneck to a 5th wheel as it was difficult enough to line up the hitch with our dually because the extra fuel tank in the bed blocked my view.  The 5th wheel is much easier to hook up especially when you cannot see out the back of the HDT. A hitch camera might make it easier but I like  the 5th wheel now. Our new trailer will probably be set up for both gooseneck and 5th pin and we will probably just use the 5th wheel pin most of the time.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

As noted above a gooseneck is a major pain to line up to (without a spotter), and you have to jack up the trailer WAY farther to clear the ball.  Also gooseneck adapters are very hard on the trailer frame and may void your warranty.  The use of an air hitch is HIGHLY recommended with an mdt/hdt to protect the trailer and contents.  I have the same Trailersaver hitch with both fifth and goose heads, and while that would be the best way to use a gooseneck hitch, it does not solve your problem of having the big ugly hitch assembly sitting right where your front tires need to roll.

What is the overall width of your tractor?  Is it narrow enough that the you may be able to load it a little off center so that the front tires miss the hitch assembly going up the ramps? 

Is your tractor a model that may have also come with a wide front end?  For example I have an old Allis Chalmers C with the wide front end, and have seen others with the tricycle front end.  Maybe easier to convert the tractor?

1 hour ago, Hot Rod said:

As noted above a gooseneck is a major pain to line up to (without a spotter), and you have to jack up the trailer WAY farther to clear the ball.  Also gooseneck adapters are very hard on the trailer frame and may void your warranty.  The use of an air hitch is HIGHLY recommended with an mdt/hdt to protect the trailer and contents.  I have the same Trailersaver hitch with both fifth and goose heads, and while that would be the best way to use a gooseneck hitch, it does not solve your problem of having the big ugly hitch assembly sitting right where your front tires need to roll.

What is the overall width of your tractor?  Is it narrow enough that the you may be able to load it a little off center so that the front tires miss the hitch assembly going up the ramps? 

Is your tractor a model that may have also come with a wide front end?  For example I have an old Allis Chalmers C with the wide front end, and have seen others with the tricycle front end.  Maybe easier to convert the tractor?

The Goose Box is an air ride pin box approved by Lippert, so the warranty is okay. The tractor is 84" wide so I don't have a lot of extra room, I do have a wide front that I could install, just trying to keep the old school look......the same reason that I haven't put an electric starter on it yet.

28059299_1833533436658807_2906550914030110103_n.jpg.f147a9cc234fdcc2812d3b66d5777952.jpg2008 Volvo 670,D13, 13 speed,2018 Montana 3210MS

19 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

We converted our trailer from a gooseneck to a 5th wheel as it was difficult enough to line up the hitch with our dually because the extra fuel tank in the bed blocked my view.  The 5th wheel is much easier to hook up especially when you cannot see out the back of the HDT. A hitch camera might make it easier but I like  the 5th wheel now. Our new trailer will probably be set up for both gooseneck and 5th pin and we will probably just use the 5th wheel pin most of the time.

That is one downside to the gooseneck ......but with a hitch camera & DW it won't be bad, I'm retired from farming so I'm used to hitching. One good side is that I won't have to hit the trailer to latch it, just drop the airbags, back under, air up.

28059299_1833533436658807_2906550914030110103_n.jpg.f147a9cc234fdcc2812d3b66d5777952.jpg2008 Volvo 670,D13, 13 speed,2018 Montana 3210MS

9 minutes ago, Purple Tractor said:

...the same reason that I haven't put an electric starter on it yet.

A loooonnnnggg time ago, I had an uncle who said that any man who couldn't crank start his tractor had no business driving one.  Biggest tractor on the farm back then was a Farmall 10-20.

Times have changed.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Met a fellow with a Goose Box on his 5er.  Horrible ride and he took it off and put on a Mor/Ryde pin box and a conventional 5th wheel hitch.

Ken 

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

4 hours ago, Hot Rod said:

We also had an old Farmall H that would need crank started when the battery was dead (more often than not, dad was cheap and who needed a new battery if he had me to crank it).  No problem in my youth, too lazy for that sort of thing in my old age.

That's why you park it on Delco Hill. ;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

19 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Met a fellow with a Goose Box on his 5er.  Horrible ride and he took it off and put on a Mor/Ryde pin box and a conventional 5th wheel hitch.

Ken 

Well then maybe I should just stick to my Comfort Hitch plan, my 5er already has a MORryde pin box........it's a tractor, I'll get over or around the hitch. I load & unload it from the equipment trailer with just two ramps now (makes DW a bit nervous) so this should just be a minor problem.

Hi Purple Tractor - would a “hideaway” 5th wheel work for you something compact like a Holland FW 001 which is mounted on a heavy hinged plate that flips forward into a well. The bottom of the flipped over wheel is then  flush with the deck for the tractor wheels to pass over. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

2 hours ago, noteven said:

Hi Purple Tractor - would a “hideaway” 5th wheel work for you something compact like a Holland FW 001 which is mounted on a heavy hinged plate that flips forward into a well. The bottom of the flipped over wheel is then  flush with the deck for the tractor wheels to pass over. 

Hmm.....that's a very good idea.

8 hours ago, Purple Tractor said:

Hmm.....that's a very good idea.

If you google around a bit for images of "oilfield bed trucks" you can maybe see one. Back over the rear axles on the bed will be a square smooth plate if the wheel is in the flipped over position. The air and electric for trailers is stored in the box it flips into. You would need the mini version.  The wheel is mounted with a big stout hinge and plate under it. There  are no other kniffle pins or apparatus. It cannot flip back over when a trailer is coupled to it.   When it is stowed you have a nice flat bed to work with.  A bed truck as a tailboard line that can be doubled ahead  over the roll to flip the wheel because they are big. On your version you could have a fitting to stick a lazy handle inta... 

Put your electric connection in the well. 

Don't forget drainage in the bottom or it could be left open depending how rigid the mount area of your deck is you might not need to bother building a box to fill up with dirt and leaves... :)

If your truck is a ruff rider or you are concerned with the design of your trailer's neck and coupler area you might want an air suspension upper 5th wheel or a MorRyde upper pin and plate. 

It will make tractor decking a breeze. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived