How Long Will Refrigerator Run

masterdrago

2 hours ago, Yarome said:

Just a point of clarification here. Generally speaking, Progressive Dynamics ARE "smart chargers" and considered some of the best on the market when it comes to a DP (distribution panel) converter/chargers... and have one of the strongest customer service reputations.

My mistake, am used to the old 1 stage converters. Best to also check your inverters no load draw. Bigger inverters can draw up to 50 watts at idle state. 
Idle Power
Idle power is the consumption of the inverter when it is on, but no loads are running. It is "wasted" power, so if you expect the inverter to be on for many hours during which there is very little load (as in most residential situations), you want this to be as low as possible. Typical idle power ranges from 15 watts to 50 watts for a home-size inverter. An inverter's spec sheet may describe the inverter's "idle current" in amps. To get watts, just multiply the amps times the DC voltage of the system.
Above quote from Wholesale Solar website.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

I checked the documentation that came with our RV, it's a Magnum Dimensions CSW series. The idle current is <1.2 amps DC so that rounds out to under 16 watts. I had not even considered that in my thought process. Thanks for the info jcussen.

It's going to stay cool all day here today (40s) so might be a good day to test the hours of operation of the reefer. I have to attempt getting the Samsung off the slide out to check it for some problems anyway.

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

We don't have a samsung but I know we can run the fridge for months on propane. We do charge the batteries during that time, by solar and or charger. We know this since we had an issue where the 120V kept blowing the 5A fuse. We do cool it down the day before a trip so we can load it up and have ir stay cold. 

event.png

Idle current with a typical RV inverter of 1000-3000 watts can vary with several conditions.

--  Inverter off.  Probably almost nothing.  My 2000 Watt Magnum doesn't register any current draw on my Trimetric monitor when off

--  Inverter on, but all 120V AC devices powered off.  This varies considerably.  My Magnum pulls about 1.5 amp DC if I turn off all C/B's going to AC devices.  If I don't trip the C/B's the microwave pulls a 1/2 amp of 12V DC.  If I leave the satellite TV DVR on it pulls about 4-5 amps.  If you have a automatic coffee pot that may pull a little bit.  Other devices will pull various amounts.

Keep in mind all these little current draws add up and you have to multiply them by 24 to get your daily usage that you have to replace every day.  For me, if I left my inverter on and the C/B to the microwave on, that is 2amps or 48AH a day and I am not actively using any  120V AC devices.

This is one of the issues with a residential fridge, you have to have the inverter on all the time.  Some RV's may have 2 inverters.  One for the fridge and one for the rest of the house.  That sounds like a good solution, 2 inverters. One a small as possible for the fridge and another for all the rest of the RV. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, jimnina said:

We don't have a samsung but I know we can run the fridge for months on propane.

Your refrigerator is of the RV type, while the Samsung in the first post is a household type refrigerator that operates on 120V-ac power only. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Have 3 inverters, 2500 watt [this one draws 50 watts on idle] normally off unless using microwave, coffee pot etc. Second one 600 watt, runs front sat, rear tv, stereos etc. [this one draws 18 watts on idle]. Third small one is 300 watts, just for front tv and netgear hotspot. [This one draws about 7 watts on idle.] As mentioned, microwave, tv, fridges, most stereos, etc will draw some current even if turned off. So I only turn on inverters I am actually using at the time. Have 960 watts solar, 980 ah's batteries, so can usually go generator free,  unless using ac's or aqua-hot [must be very cold] for long periods. Many people keep their ac/propane fridges because it makes it so much easier to boondock.

This is the best tool any boondocker can have Will let you know just how much power your batteries are supplying  for 12 volt and inverter loads, and can be used to measure solar input as well.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-clamp-on-ammeter/p-03482369000P

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Archived