Tricare for Life and Medicare

AlCherry

Please note the change of enrollment dates in the "full article here" hot link. Open enrollment is now between Nov. 12 to Dec. 10 2018. That was a surprise to me, as the original enrollment date ended Oct. 31.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The wife and I think we have it figured out. What a tangled web of government mish-mash.

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra Classic
Street/Strip Harley Sportster Racebike
SFC (ret) US Army

What we have figured out is that we have to get part A&B, $130 for each of us per month, we have to get it before we turn 65. We haven't begun looking at dental and visual. I guess we'll be spending a large portion of our retirement pay on health care.

2006 Raptor 3813

SFC (ret) US Army

37 minutes ago, AlCherry said:

What we have figured out is that we have to get part A&B, $130 for each of us per month, we have to get it before we turn 65. We haven't begun looking at dental and visual. I guess we'll be spending a large portion of our retirement pay on health care.

Just so nobody misunderstands, the premiums are for Part B (outpatient care). Part A (inpatient care) is premium-free. Tricare For Life will cover your prescriptions (I advise using the Express Scripts home delivery service to avoid copays). It's bargain basement compared to what non-military folks have to pay for part D and out-of-pocket expenses (Tricare For Life picks up whatever Medicare doesn't pay). If I can get it to work, here's a link to the Tricare For Life handbook:

TCFL Handbook

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

2 hours ago, Second Chance said:

It's bargain basement compared to what non-military folks have to pay for part D and out-of-pocket expenses (Tricare For Life picks up whatever Medicare doesn't pay).

Oh man, you aren't kidding!!  I'm more than 10 yrs from TFL eligibility, but have several non-mil friends who are over 65.  When they talk about their health insurance costs, I just bite my tongue and feel bad for them.  Their insurance, plus co-pays, plus supplements to cover them is, in some cases, $500 a month.

18 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Oh man, you aren't kidding!!  I'm more than 10 yrs from TFL eligibility, but have several non-mil friends who are over 65.  When they talk about their health insurance costs, I just bite my tongue and feel bad for them.  Their insurance, plus co-pays, plus supplements to cover them is, in some cases, $500 a month.

You are correct, sir. I see what my co-workers are paying and cringe. My little sniveling about cost is nothing compared to non military.

2006 Raptor 3813

SFC (ret) US Army

• 11 months later...

I just received Medicare part A and B. I'm retired from the military so I have Tricare for life. However I am also retired from DOD and have Blue Cross Blue Shield standard. I don't pay anything for my prescription drugs. If anybody out there can help me with this next part I'd appreciate it. IF I canceled my BlueCross BlueShield I would be saving allot of money every month. The problem is Tricare for life has co-pays for meds. MY QUESTION IS DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF A GOOD MEDICARE PART D DRUG INSURANCE THAT WORKS WELL WITH TRICARE FOR LIFE. I am asking hoping that an additional drug program that has Tricare paying last will mitigate some crazy amounts of co-pays that I will have with a couple of my meds. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Rocky A said:

I just received Medicare part A and B. I'm retired from the military so I have Tricare for life. However I am also retired from DOD and have Blue Cross Blue Shield standard. I don't pay anything for my prescription drugs. If anybody out there can help me with this next part I'd appreciate it. IF I canceled my BlueCross BlueShield I would be saving allot of money every month. The problem is Tricare for life has co-pays for meds. MY QUESTION IS DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF A GOOD MEDICARE PART D DRUG INSURANCE THAT WORKS WELL WITH TRICARE FOR LIFE. I am asking hoping that an additional drug program that has Tricare paying last will mitigate some crazy amounts of co-pays that I will have with a couple of my meds. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

The new "copays" for Tricare For Life for prescriptions through Express Scripts are $7 for a 90-day supply delivered to your home or Escapees mail basket. That's $28/year per medication. How much would you expect to spend on premiums for a part D plan?...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Everything you want to know about Express-Scripts pharmacy for the DoD Tricare drug program

Express-scripts just announced thier flat-rate for the diabetic drug insulin,  $25/month. I've been covered by TFL and Express-Scripts for 12 years and counting, that is the most I've ever seen on their website for a drug price. Two of my COPD meds do cost me $56 per quarter.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 8/3/2019 at 12:01 PM, Second Chance said:

The new "copays" for Tricare For Life for prescriptions through Express Scripts are $7 for a 90-day supply delivered to your home or Escapees mail basket. That's $28/year per medication. How much would you expect to spend on premiums for a part D plan?...

Rob

That is for a generic drug. I pay $24 for 60 days worth of Humira and my wife pays the same for her diabetes test strips and these are in the formulary. Non-forumulary items (if you can get approval) will be $53.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 8/4/2019 at 5:43 PM, Chalkie said:

That is for a generic drug. I pay $24 for 60 days worth of Humira and my wife pays the same for her diabetes test strips and these are in the formulary. Non-forumulary items (if you can get approval) will be $53.

If a generic drug is available, that is what Express-Scripts sends, unless the Dr. specifically designates the name brand on the script as "no substitution"; then only if the name brand is on their list of approved drugs from Tricare. DW takes a drug that is no longer available from them, so ES sent her to WalMart to buy the drug there, and ES pays. :rolleyes:

Guys,

I stay near a base and get my prescriptions from the base co-pay free. On the road I did the same seeing the local doc for the prescription. I just picked up refills for the last time at Barksdale and will rejoin my wife in Colorado Springs as soon as my house here sells. There we choose between the Air Force Academy where I taught 78-81, Peterson AFB, or Fort Carson Pharmacies.for retirees, the base pharmacy is free if you use their formulary with your doc, or not.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 1 month later...

Good article Richard. For the TFL folks here this Para about open season can clarify that it no longer applies to TFL folks:

"TRICARE Open Season doesn’t apply to TRICARE For Life (TFL) or premium-based plans. TFL coverage is automatic if you have Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B. As described in the TRICARE Plans Overview, you can purchase premium-based plans (for example, TRICARE Retired Reserve and TRICARE Young Adult) at any time. "

We are on TFL, use civilian docs of our choice, and use base pharmacies for zero copay. I use the VA for hearing aids and will be looking into eyeglass coverage. We never used Dental as I had bad enamel since a child and went full dentures at my cost. My wife has three fillings and tough enamel which my kids inherited. Anyone have any advice on denture and eyeglass coverage? Thanks in advance. I'm discombobulated with all my files up in Colorado Springs with my wife. I've been down here in Louisiana mowing and keeping the house up for showings. It just sold and I hope to be back with my wife  in our new to us home in "The Springs" before Halloween. We just spent our 47th Anniversary apart but that's OKWe wouldn't be sane had it not been for our built in video calling and unlimited data. At least not me. I don't do well without a woman's supervision. (Supervision = spoiling me rotten) I'm surprised I made it this far healthy. we don't have any heart/BP/diabetes/cholesterol issues nor any arthritis both in our late and mid 60s. So we're fine with our coverage costs too. We've been, and continue to be, fortunate.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire