Tricare for Life and Medicare

AlCherry

4 hours ago, DJW said:

By the time you turn 65 and are eligible the whole game will have changed several times over.

Dennis

I'm not so much worried about it for myself at the moment, but for my wife.  She turns 65 in the next 8 months.  When she does, she has to select part B or loose TFL?  Or can she wait until I turn 65 then we both do part b and still have TFL?  Or did we loose it because she did not start immediately? 

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NDBirdman

She should sign up for the Part B and start having the monthly charge taken out of her SS check.  If she delays the penalty for not signing up when you turn 65 is stiff.  In most cases depending on where you live the military facility can and may refuse her service once she turn 65.  It all depends on the facility ie are they under staffed, do you have some issue that they want to continue to treat that is unique?  Have her sign up and start looking for a new Doctor that she likes on the outside.  Once She finds a new Medicare Doctor and establishes them as her Primary Care Provider and she shows she has TFL then they will automatically bill TFL for what ever Medicare does not pay.  We have been on Medicare/TFL since May of 2015 and while I have never used it the DW has never received a bill for a single cent and add in  Script for the drugs it like a walk in the park.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Thanks DJW, we'll sign her up when it's time.  DW was told by someone that if she signs up 6 months early, even though we start paying early, she will get a 30% discount on Part B cost, have you heard this?  I wondered if that is for life, or just a discount til she hits 65?  Or again, rumor b.s.  She already has a civilian provider, couple different ones in fact as we don't use the military health care system for her.  We don't have prime.  Nothing wrong with prime, it's just that she is civil service, works in the base clinic and knows most the Drs/nurses.  She's kinda funny about that, I don't blame her as she does not want them to know about her heart problems.  We just pay the out of pocket and press on with pride.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

NDBirdman

Never heard of the 30 percent discount if you sign up early.  Thinking BS but could be wrong.  Is she currently receiving a SS Check?  Ya do know that pride is one of the 7 deadly sins right?  Scripture says that pride is the one God finds the most detestable .

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

1 hour ago, NDBirdman said:

DW was told by someone that if she signs up 6 months early, even though we start paying early, she will get a 30% discount on Part B cost, have you heard this?  I wondered if that is for life, or just a discount til she hits 65?  

I believe that to be rumor or false info. Do not listen to the neighbors, the whisperers or anyone else, get the information from  Medicare. You can not sign up earlier than three months prior to your 65th birthday month. Visit the the Medicare site to get the correct and current information. 

Same thing goes for Social Security. Visit their site directly. They have a tool there that lets you play with the dates you want to start drawing SSAN so you can see when you might want to start out. The dates you sign up for Medicare and Social Security are not necessarily the same and you can be penalized for not signing up for Medicare on time.

When in doubt about any of this go to the source!

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

27 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

I believe that to be rumor or false info. Do not listen to the neighbors, the whisperers or anyone else, get the information from  Medicare. You can not sign up earlier than three months prior to your 65th birthday month. Visit the the Medicare site to get the correct and current information. 

Same thing goes for Social Security. Visit their site directly. They have a tool there that lets you play with the dates you want to start drawing SSAN so you can see when you might want to start out. The dates you sign up for Medicare and Social Security are not necessarily the same and you can be penalized for not signing up for Medicare on time.

When in doubt about any of this go to the source!

Excellent advice! 

Go to the sources website and read what is there.  You may have to read it 3-4 times to understand it, but work at it.  Many times this is much to important to you to just accept what "someone" says.

For example, we have a friend who contributed to Social Security for 31 years, then worked for a school district for 12 years, not paying into SS.  Her "friends" and sister and sister had her scared to death that she would not be eligible for a dime of SS because she worked in a job which did not contribute to SS.  I went to SS website and found out that is false.  There are reductions for fewer than 30 years of paying into SS, but you still get some of the SS.  Our friend got 100% of the SS, just as though she never worked for the school district. She also gets all of the school system retirement as well. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The TFL website explains everything we should know, and covers questions and answers posted. It is the official source for this information.

TO obtain a new/replacement military ID card, contact your nearest National Guard center and inquire if they have a RAPIDS section, as only HQ detachment is authorized a one. While there update your personal information in DEERS. Everyone should get an updated ID card if the present card displays your SSN, DOD has eliminated SSN's on ID cards and replaced them with a DOD number.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I'm going to check out all of the sources y'all have posted. We aren't drawing SS yet. From what all of you are saying, I'm glad I'm starting my research now. Thanks.

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra Classic
Street/Strip Harley Sportster Racebike
SFC (ret) US Army

Al,

It is all automatic, including your address being released to every medical supplement insurance company in this galaxy, and as a retiree we need none, just Part B and TFL as the secondary payer.

I missed this and was embarrassed as a result. We live right next to, relatively, Barksdale AFB LA. So we get all our prescriptions filled there. We were Tricare standard so we use our civilian docs as our primary caregivers.

NO one told me that my ID card would expire on the day I turned 65. IT was there, and since originally they issued permanent ID cards to retirees with indeterminate or some such as expiration. Well I never noticed my new ID card I got to eliminate my Social Security number had my 65th birthday, years ahead, for an expiration date. So one day I was going to get a haircut at the BX and the guard said I could not enter because my ID was expired. I told them I would just go get anbother and he directed me to the visitor center beside the gate because I would need a guest pass to get on base. And they confiscated my ID card! Well by the time we sorted it out the ID section was closed. So the next day I tried to get a pass and found I had forgotten to put my proof of insurance in my car! It was again afternoon. I always replace my Insurance proof from USAA every time I get them but somehow got sidetracked or something four months earlier. On the third day I finally had all my paperwork in order, then went in early, and got my ID card. I felt like the idiot I was. Amazing how my careful dotting my is's and crossing my T's can backfire because I don't double check.

post-1765-0-81981400-1459384237_thumb.jpg

I just double checked it and it is again INDEF expiration.

post-1765-0-98532800-1447266711_thumb.jpeg

The collage is my career starting from top left clockwise is me as a Buck Sergeant Medic, me as a combat arms instructor re-barreling an M-16, me on top of a Hummer as the shooter firing the Mk19 automatic grenade launcher at a Dutch heavy weapons range firing 300 rounds a minute out to 2000 meters, then me shooting the MK19 again, and then firing the MK19 from the ground on a tripod. then my basic graduation picture, and last me now a MSgt (E7) teaching pistol on my 25 meter outdoor range on Spangdahlem AB, Germany. Imagine getting great pay and an excellent retirement from playing wit heavy and small arms daily, making loud noises, blowing things up, and getting paid for it. The collage is just missing my three years as a lab tech as a TSgt (E6) but that was in whites too.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 6 months later...

It's been a while, this got put on the back shelf and the time is coming. So I'll wake this thread up. From what y'all have told me and what I have read, our enrollment period would begin 3 months prior and three months after our 65th birthday. We'll go get a new ID cards. Tricare will send info/warning order to us? 

What companies are reputable and economical? Seems like everyone wants to sell a part B policy. Also, am I right in thinking I need a policy and my wife needs a policy, so double the cost?

Thanks for all of the info. Seems there are more people than me that are somewhat confused about this. I guess once you are in it is less confusing and everything will settle down.

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra Classic
Street/Strip Harley Sportster Racebike
SFC (ret) US Army

If you have Medicare, that is primary and tracer is secondary. If your wife is not old enough for Medicare, she would benefit from a trickster supplement. She also would not be on tricker for life until she started Medicare. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

5 hours ago, AlCherry said:

It's been a while, this got put on the back shelf and the time is coming. So I'll wake this thread up. From what y'all have told me and what I have read, our enrollment period would begin 3 months prior and three months after our 65th birthday. We'll go get a new ID cards. Tricare will send info/warning order to us? 

What companies are reputable and economical? Seems like everyone wants to sell a part B policy. Also, am I right in thinking I need a policy and my wife needs a policy, so double the cost?

Thanks for all of the info. Seems there are more people than me that are somewhat confused about this. I guess once you are in it is less confusing and everything will settle down.

Part B comes from Medicare - anything else is a "supplemental" policy and is a waste of money for those of us with TFL. TFL also continues your Part D (outpatient prescription drug) coverage, so you don't need to find one of those on the market, either. My Part B enrollment paperwork came in the mail about 2 months before I turned 65. It was set up to go into effect (and the premiums deducted from by Social Security payments) UNLESS I did something to stop it. The ID card section will take care of DEERS and Tricare when you go in to get your new "senior" military ID. I've had one major illness since turning 65 and haven't had to pay anything out of pocket. Don't go spending money you don't need to.

Rob

Edit/PS: we all have some decisions to make come this next January. The dental coverage options are changing and Tricare will also start offering vision coverage. It would be best to go to the Tricare web site and read up on it so we can make some informed decisions when the time comes. There are also some good materials on the Tricare web site to help you understand the Medicare/TFL thing.

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Thanks Rob! Great info as always.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Rob, actually we must make our decision for dental and vision care in October 2018 for 2019 instead of Jan. We will have the same choices as congressmen.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Rob, actually we must make our decision for dental and vision care in October 2018 for 2019 instead of Jan. We will have the same choices as congressmen.

Thanks - I should have worded it that way.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

This whole insurance thing makes my head hurt.  I retired in Feb 18.  My wife retired in Dec 14.  We are both in the VA system with over 50% service connected disabilities.  I still pay for Tricare Prime so it will cover my daughter in her last year of school.  She ages out in Feb 19.  We are full time and I wonder if Tricare select would be a better option for us after my daughter is no longer eligible for prime.  As stated above I am a little miffed that we have to pay at all, but all things considered it is cheaper than the civilian health insurance.  The new choices of dental and vision are a good thing, but further complicate the whole thing for me.

2017 Chevy Duramax 3500 HD DRW

2017 Jayco North Point

2 hours ago, jorddarb said:

This whole insurance thing makes my head hurt.  I retired in Feb 18.  My wife retired in Dec 14.  We are both in the VA system with over 50% service connected disabilities.  I still pay for Tricare Prime so it will cover my daughter in her last year of school.  She ages out in Feb 19.  We are full time and I wonder if Tricare select would be a better option for us after my daughter is no longer eligible for prime.  As stated above I am a little miffed that we have to pay at all, but all things considered it is cheaper than the civilian health insurance.  The new choices of dental and vision are a good thing, but further complicate the whole thing for me.

As far as I know, your daughter would be eligible for Tricare Select, as well - until she ages out. You might have to wait until open season in October to make the change. It may not be worth it for the short time between then and February, though. I'm Medicare/TFL now, but my wife is under 65 and has Tricare Select. It works well for us on the road - and no premiums.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

3 hours ago, jorddarb said:

Do you mean you retired from the military in Feb 18 or from a second career?   

Which Prime region are you in?  The west region is pretty big, so Prime in that region might be easy.  

We are half timers (may go fulltime in a year or so) and are Prime East regioners.  Never had a problem if we needed care or labs out of region (included once when there was still a North region a few years ago).  Plus, you get 6 urgent care visits a year without prior approval, so that helps make things easier.  

I have also thought about switching to Select, but have yet to find a valid reason (or even a cost savings) to do it. 

As for dental, many times you can get a dental exam, cleaning and x-rays for under $100 as a new patient.  If you move to a new place once or twice a year, you can't beat that.  Many times dental work (crowns and fillings) will be about the same cost (or a little cheaper) if you pay out-of-pocket vs. an insurance policy premium plus co-pays.  If you plan to winter somewhere along the southern border, there are lots of people who get dental care across the border in Mexico.  

10 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

Do you mean you retired from the military in Feb 18 or from a second career?   

Which Prime region are you in?  The west region is pretty big, so Prime in that region might be easy.  

We are half timers (may go fulltime in a year or so) and are Prime East regioners.  Never had a problem if we needed care or labs out of region (included once when there was still a North region a few years ago).  Plus, you get 6 urgent care visits a year without prior approval, so that helps make things easier.  

I have also thought about switching to Select, but have yet to find a valid reason (or even a cost savings) to do it. 

As for dental, many times you can get a dental exam, cleaning and x-rays for under $100 as a new patient.  If you move to a new place once or twice a year, you can't beat that.  Many times dental work (crowns and fillings) will be about the same cost (or a little cheaper) if you pay out-of-pocket vs. an insurance policy premium plus co-pays.  If you plan to winter somewhere along the southern border, there are lots of people who get dental care across the border in Mexico.  

I retired from the Army Feb 18. We are currently enrolled in the West Region our daughter is in east.  Most of our routine care we get at the VA.  Tricare would be for urgent needs if no VA is near.  I can even use the VA for dental, but getting an appointment at our “medical home” in Kansas didn’t fit in with our plans this summer 

2017 Chevy Duramax 3500 HD DRW

2017 Jayco North Point

jorddarb

Are  you a 100 percent disabled?  If not how are you able to use VA dental?  It is my understanding that you have to be 100 percent  and it must be permanent and total to get the dental service.  

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

On 7/12/2018 at 7:28 AM, Second Chance said:

Thanks - I should have worded it that way.

Rob

We already know this, but for those that missed the communication here are the links in the email:

FEDVIP is Coming: Get to Know Dental and Vision Plans Today

July 17, 2018

The TRICARE Retiree Dental Program (TRDP) ends on Dec. 31, 2018. Beginning in 2019, dental and vision plans will be available through the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP). Now is a good time to become familiar with FEDVIP options. FEDVIP 2019 plans and rates will be online in the fall. But you can look at 2018 plans and rates now.

Read the full article here.  

Connect with TRICARE on Facebook and Twitter at www.facebook.com/tricare and www.twitter.com/tricare.