Refused inspection

GlennWest

Stopped at Harrelsons in Livingston. Got truck, camper inspected there last year. Refused to inspect truck. Gave reason as air brakes. Then refused Teton also due to air lines for Bludot system. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

If thee is a strouhalls tires they do inspections and understand we are not commercial. I also went to the ford dealer in Plainview and have had it done. I have also been refused due to air brakes. I then asked what would happen if I brought in a motor home with air brakes. Received the deer in the headlight look.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

In Virginia (which I know doesn't help you) inspection for a 4-wheeler or pick-up is $16 every year.  Air brakes, including bus conversion motorhomes, pay $50 every year for an inspection.  If the inspection station does not have the facilities to get the motor-driven vehicle inside the garage and at least jack the wheels up or put it on a lift they cannot do an inspection (no parking lot inspections).  Part of the inspection requires removing at least one wheel and checking the pads/shoes, drum/rotor and caliper/wheel cylinder for wear and fluid leakage. Only a trailer may be inspected outside and does not have to be connected to a vehicle to get an inspection sticker.  Single axle trailers with no brakes and under 3,000# GVW do not require an inspection.  All multi-axle trailers must have brakes and be inspected regardless of GVW.  Inspectors are licensed by the state.  They have two levels of certification.  If they inspect vehicles with air brakes or over 26,000# GVW they must have the top level of certification.  If you go to a large RV service shop that sells big motorhomes you can usually get your inspection done with no problem.  VA will also accept the DOT inspection as it's safety inspection.  You get this at an HDT garage that has mechanics certified to do DOT inspection.  An inspectors license issued by the Commonwealth is not cheap.  I was told a while back it was something like $1,200 a year for the individual's license for level I.  Level II is higher. The garage usually pays for the inspectors' license.  The inspector must attend classes and pass a written test to get his license.  All inspection stations get random visits by the State Police to verify inspection is being done properly.  Sometimes a mechanic at a garage that has an upper-level inspection license is off or on vacation so the garage can't do inspections while he is gone.  This happened to my (former) RV dealer when his inspector quit and went to another shop.  He takes his license with him even if it was paid for by his boss.  A standard vehicle inspection requires at least 30 minutes.  HDT's would likely require more time. The shop gets to keep all but $2 of the inspection fee.  At a shop that usually charges $100 an hour for labor, this shortchanges them $76.  They need to find something that will require them to fix to make up for the lost $$.  Filters, shocks, struts, tires, suspension parts, brakes, lights, and exhaust are typical add-on money makers.  I had one shop put a rejection sticker on my PU because of a small frayed spot on the seat belt where it got caught in the door. I was quoted $400 and change to replace the seat belt.  I said no, left, went to the auto recycler and bought an identical one for $20, put it in and then went back to the same shop, paid an additional $2 and got my inspection sticker.  They were not happy.  I have since switched to a different garage for inspections.  IMHO it is all a racket to take your money and time and does little good for improving highway safety.  A lot can change on a vehicle in one year, even one month.  My LEO son writes a lot of tickets for defective equipment (mostly tires, lights, bumper height, windshield glass, window tint, and exhaust) for vehicles showing a valid inspection sticker.

Maybe Texas has similar rules or requirements for inspection?  I'm sure Phil can fill us in.....

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Howdy!

I had my MDT with air brakes inspected there in October no problems. We even had a conversation about how many Escapees they inspection. Stated they like Escapees wanting to know where we been, where we are going now.

”Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Pop's will take care of you, Glenn. I sent you my phone number. Depending on the time (busy in the morning, free after 12 or 1) you can park here if you want and we can drive over in my smart to scope out the parking lot situation. Like I said, it can be a bit tight in there. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Went by there today and he was there working on some personal stuff. Said come by after 3 pm Monday and he would fix me right up. And said if needed they would direct out. DW and I ate at Mama's too.Thank Phil.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived