Looking for Good Fuel App

masterdrago

When trying to find fuel (diesel), one needs to know what the clearance is at the location so the big inexperienced driver pulling the 41' RV can negotiate the entrance and exit. What apps (Android or Apple) have folks found the most useful? I got Fuel Buddy and Allstays but they do not seem to take into account big rigs. I know truck stops can handle the size but has anyone seen the diesel price at Loves - over 25 cents more per gallon than the usual places. Buc-ee's seems to be a reasonable place with space and decent prices but not many near state, or U.S. highways.

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

I use Gas Buddy (Android app)as a start, not the cleanest of interfaces to get to see the station but I will try to lead you through it.

Go to Gas Buddy; select station; click directions; click steps and more; swipe to the end; click on the station; if the map shows instead of the satellite go to the 3 dots on upper right and select satellite; at this point you can zoom in to see the station.

Good luck.

You can use Gas Buddy to get directions, and you can use the satellite view to see what's what but it does nothing at all to show you clearances. I have yet to find an app that tells you the clearance for the pumps. My rule of thumb is when in doubt, find a station with truck pumps and you can find them without relying on Love's, Flying J or the like.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Very, very tall. Tallest danged vehicle we have ever had. It looks like a monster going into our driveway!! It is one of my worst fears now that we have gotten it. No, really, the Keystone bunch says 13'6" but I've not measured yet but will just b4 1st real trip to central Texas. I got the Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers' 2018 Road Atlas to help out planning trips. I was just thinking of getting into gas station with the long rig. Looks like most Wal-Mart gassing areas can handle the turning radius okay. Our tank is 32 gallons on the TV and will not need to stop on this trip until unhooked at Canyon of the Eagles. Truck stops look like the best bet but are only on major highways.

I have found that the 5th wheels look a lot taller than they are. As to pull in space we have found taking the outside pump and making sure we are blocking enough so we can get out. Most of the time we look for pumps that are parallel to the road rather than perpendicular.

I would also be careful of the Walmart etc. stations. We have found some of them are tight for turning. Some are fine.

The max road height legally permitted is 13'6" so I doubt if you would exceed that. I don't think there is any standard gas station awning height but some place I have read if it is less than 14'6" the actual height must be posted.

I would worry more about trees in cgs.

There is also an add-on of some sort for your rig to verify the height, don't remember its name or $$ but it exists. Should work for gas stations but might be too late.

We have the Garmin RV760 and it is great on most highways. Not for gas stations though. The only road we have found that gave us problems(we are 13', have it set for 13'6") and it alarmed constantly. The bridge height on the Maine Tpk is 13'6". Avoid it.

5 hours ago, masterdrago said:

Thanks Rynosback. That Garmin Garmin 770dzl thing is pricey. I have a one year old Nuvi that I don't use anymore since in-truck navigation. I'll check it to see what it offers. thanks for the idea.

The thing about in truck navigation is it is just a basic nav system.  You can not program in height,weight, haz materials etc....so it does you no good in a hauling situation.  This is why I bought the Garmin.  If it saves me from one OH SH@T moment, it will pay for it’s self.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Check out Trucker Path app. It is designed for OTR truckers, consequently it can be adapted for our uses. you may choose how many things to display; fuel stops, rest areas/parking- WalMarts, etc.

This is designed for smart phones and tablets W/ cell phone capabilities. It will not work on computers.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Since you have a 5th wheel, why not fill up after you’ve got into a site and can unhook.

Right now that's my plan since our fuel tank is 32 gallons. This is our first distant trip so I'm not sure what my MPG will be. I'm thinking 8-10 MPG so the 210 mile trip should not empty the tank. At some point in the future I might consider an additional fuel tank/tool box configuration. On that deal, I'll need to check weights, capacities, etc.

And Ray,IN, I fetched that app and will play with it a bit. Thanks

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Since you have a 5th wheel, why not fill up after you’ve got into a site and can unhook.

That is how I do it.  We travel between 3-4 hours at a time, so a tank of fuel works out good.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Your best bet for entrances and exits is the satellite view in Goggle Maps.   I often use Gas Buddy the night before (we have a 100 gallon fuel tank and so only need to fuel usually every other day) to determine where we want to stop and once I've got 2 or 3 in mind, I go to Goggle Maps, look at where the exits are and then look at the satellite and/or street view;  often use both.  We almost always use truck stops because we pull a car.  Yes, they may be a little more expensive, but the ease in and out are worth it to us - plus we can't back up with the car behind.  

If on the west coast, a lot of the Costco stations have added diesel and the ones we have used have high covers and easy outside pumps to get at.  Especially on a Monday morning when we are moving on down the road.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Welcome to the club!

I too use Gas Buddy.  Great app.  If you have questions about whether or not you will fit, I suggest that the thing to do is to CALL the station.  They will tell you the height of their canopies, how tight their lot is and even which pumps are the diesel pumps.

If we are apprehensive, my DW will get out and help me watch from the outside so I don't run over anybody or anything. We use our phones to communicate.

HINT:  most  of the time they are on the outside pumps.

Another HINT:  go on to the roof, lay a board horizontally on the tallest feature of your roof, (normally an A/C unit) and literally measure from the bottom side of the board to the ground.  THEN write on a tape-writer, or a label, then put it on your dash, your visor, somewhere you can see it in a hurry exactly the height of your rig.  This way you know what it is.  You might even add an inch or two to adjust for a rock in the drive.

It IS all scary at first, but you will gain confidence as you gain experience!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but Google StreetView helps me determine where the Diesel pumps are and how tall the roof is.  Quite often you can zoom in and see the clearance sign.  Or use a ruler to figure out approx height based on other vehicle in the bay. 

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
Freightliner XCR, 400 hp Cummins
Toad 2014 Chevy Equinox (DWM)
Blog: http://cowlesmountain.com/Travels/

S&B San Diego

Looks like the Gas Buddy suggestion by SWharton has worked for me. When getting to satellite view it is easy to see how the pumps are arranged, the parking lot entries and if 18 wheeler or RVs are in the lot and at the pumps. Great app. and along with Trucker Path makes it a snap to either pre-plan stops or find on the fly. Thanks all.

I have a 29 gallon Fuel tank on F350 SRW.  I tow a 13'2" cedar creek 5vr.  We normally fill before I hook up, once or twice on the road (interstates) usually at the highway rest stops and then we refuel after arrival once everything is unhooked.  May start using gas buddy if we are no longer on interstates.

David

Archived