50 amp power management

PAylor

As far as the actual current an AC draws (versus published values) it can depend on several factors including but not limited to Source Voltage,,,,,,,,Line Voltage drop yielding net voltage at the AC itself,,,,,,,,Ambient temperature and humidity,,,,,,,,,,Efficiency as affected by dirt and dust and air flow and fan speed,,,,,,,,,,,,,and a few other variables I'm less familiar with lol.

While published figures may suffice for initial electrical designs, whether or not how many AC's of what type and size and design can be powered from a so called 30 amp service IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

John T  Live from warm n sunny Avon Park Florida

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

As far as the actual current an AC draws (versus published values) it can depend on several factors including but not limited to Source Voltage,,,,,,,,Line Voltage drop yielding net voltage at the AC itself,,,,,,,,Ambient temperature and humidity,,,,,,,,,,Efficiency as affected by dirt and dust and air flow and fan speed,,,,,,,,,,,,,and a few other variables I'm less familiar with lol.

While published figures may suffice for initial electrical designs, whether or not how many AC's of what type and size and design can be powered from a so called 30 amp service IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

John T  Live from warm n sunny Avon Park Florida

John, Thanks for taking everyones collective knowledge and summarizing it.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

8 hours ago, jcussen said:

John, Thanks for taking everyones collective knowledge and summarizing it.

jc, you're welcome HOWEVER the thanks belongs to all the fine gents who contributed to this thread NOT meeeeeeee but thanks anyway for the kind words. In a similar fashion if its a hot humid day and the operating voltage is low and the coils are partly plugged or dirty and maybe the motor or its capacitors are a bit weak YOU DRAW MORE CURRENT THEN ON OTHER DAYS ........Well Duh but its on those days the AC is needed the most grrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol

Best wishes, God Bless all here and have a Happy New Year 

On 12/28/2017 at 8:22 AM, jcussen said:

So you can run two 13500 standard air conditioners at the same time on a standard 30 amp pedestal? Unless your magnum is a hybrid that uses battery assist when starting bigger loads?

Yes, we have done it many times with good results. Starting 1 a/c at a time. Just check the amp draw on your units

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:01 PM, jcussen said:

John, I understand this. but if campground has a 30 amp breaker and I do not have a "soft start unit" on my ac's, I do not see how different wiring, or an HACR breaker, will prevent the campground 30 amp breaker from tripping when one ac is running and the other one tries to start, If you know this, please tell me.

If you read the beginning of this thread, you will see I was the first to point out that 50 amp service was actually 50 amps per leg which is why I commented that it was probably a park problem.

You might look at this.  Seems to work, as per some youtube videos I have seen, not tried it myself.

micro-air.GIF

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

5 hours ago, mscans said:

, I do not see how different wiring, or an HACR breaker, will prevent the campground 30 amp breaker from tripping when one ac is running and the other one tries to start, If you know this, please tell me.

Good afternoon ms, An HACR breaker "may" help allow one to start if another is running BUT THERES A MUCH BETTER CHANCE IF ONE WERE AT THE RV PEDESTAL    PLUS    THE RV PANEL. If only in the RV panel that may prevent IT from tripping in  cases where the RV pedestal breaker might just let the surge pass (or it might not). It depends on the make and model and type and design and even age as to how sensitive any particular breaker is to short term surges HOWEVER in general an HACR is more forgiving to allow a short term surge to pass through and that's by design. But to answer your question an HACR in ONLY the RV panel may not help whatsoever BUT IT WONT HURT THE CHANCES LOL

Always fun chattin with you

John T

Archived