Definition of an RV

Moresmoke

3 hours ago, Black said:

... Go a few hours in advance and scope the place out...

Really?  A few HOURS in advance - to scope the place out to find a competent employee?  Wow!  I guess you really are a government worker.  

Do you even see how silly that reads?

I stayed away from the big office for that very reason and went to a little local DMV, open 2 days a week, right at their 7 am opening time to get there before the crowd and speak to the person like a human, as we were both fresh and not rushed or pressured.  Walked out 10 minutes later with a title and plates as I wanted. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

Really?  A few HOURS in advance - to scope the place out to find a competent employee?  Wow!  I guess you really are a government worker.  

Do you even see how silly that reads?

I stayed away from the big office for that very reason and went to a little local DMV, open 2 days a week, right at their 7 am opening time to get there before the crowd and speak to the person like a human, as we were both fresh and not rushed or pressured.  Walked out 10 minutes later with a title and plates as I wanted. 

You'll get no argument from me that it sounds silly but you do what you gotta do to get what you want to get.

That said, I'm perhaps overly meticulous about my recon work (probably from my military background) and like to identify the folks that enjoy doing what supposedly can't be done. Growing up in the Michigan world of DMV's and having registered over 60 vehicles, knowing who gets stuff done has saved me so much time it's almost unbelievable. When I titled/registered my truck (780), pre-identifying the person in my small county office that had the right attitude allowed me to live overseas and mail my NC Volvo title to GA, have them convert it to a motor home title, and then mail it back to my parents house in NC.

Long story short; It might suck to wait 3-4 hours but once you have the right title in your hands, you'll barely remember the hassle.

In Va it is really hard if not impossible to convert a HDT to a MH. However when I bough my 98 630 I had a copy of the title faxed to me and took it to DMV and asked if they would recognize the Minn MH title here in VA. They said they would and they did. I really wanted the MH title because it really is much cheaper for tags ($50 vs $600) and personnel  property tax is greatly reduced. and insurance is much cheaper but the main reason was my HOA couldn't do anything about it being here all the time w/the 5er.Have had it for over 6 yrs and no issues w/the law but the HOA calls me a lot of names, none of which mama and daddy gave me. We just got back from a 7wk 6k trip out west and back the southern route and not 1 issue w/the law. I have never stopped at scales and don't intend to unless directed to. I don't have the book but I will put one together and keep it on the ready.      Pat

The Old Sailor

Here in Alberta we can register a HDT as motorhome and I feel that IMO if you can register as a motorhome wherever you live in north america it just makes things easier. In our city there is a bylaw that prevents commercial vehicles from parking in a residential area's. I was served with a notice to remove my truck off of my driveway a couple of months ago by the city bylaw enforcement division. I contacted them and asked why I had to remove my "motorhome" off of my private property and was told it was a commercial vehicle. After a short conversation emailed a copy of  the motorhome registration from the province of Alberta and the case was closed as motorhomes are allowed to park on private property. Any other registration I would have been looking for a storage yard.

Archived