Win 10 Creator update Easy update

TheDuke

Just finished the 1709 update to Win 10.  Went very smooth with just 3 or 4  minor issues.

I lost the home page in Opera browser. I think that was deliberate from MS as they push Edge so heavily. Easy to fix.

I don't use a password to login, and I never turn the computer off or reboot except for updates to software. Anyway,  the computer was changed to sleep and then login. I had to remember the actual password which took more  than a few minutes to remember what I had used  a year ago. Resolved and  I changed to not require sleep mode nor a password.

I immediately got a message to reinstall my hp software which was a message from HP. I will fix tomorrow.

Lastly which I just realized typing this subject is that the touchpad was turned on again. I don't know why MS has to mess with that so often after upgrades. 

My metered setting was kept as metered. I kind of though that MS would mess with that. 

But it appears that even set at metered, the download took place over the past week (ready or not), which I wasn't going to do for a while. Those on metered setting, might want to watch for that. 

Agree,

It was easy. Old machines will have a hesitation on opening some icons on the desktop and task bar. I don't like them changing my settings either and reset several.

I will be getting with MS to find why my Surface Pro 3 will insist I give my password after waking from sleep! Te Surface Pro 4 uses facial recognition and I really love that. My Surface Pro 4 is an i7/8GB RAM/256GB SSD so it is almost faster than I can see it if it is pointed at me. It will look around if I am not there or another is.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Read about the new update released and being sent out by Microsoft November 30th. I installed it on my systems today. No issues with the AIO desktops. I am doing the tablets this evening.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051963/windows-10-update-kb4051963

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Maybe it's me but all three of my laptops (2 Dells and an ASUS) had difficulties with this update.  The automatic update process downloaded the update with no problems but all three computers failed in the installation.  When I examined the Update History is showed the update with the comment--"Restart Required," except that rebooting the computer didn't resolve the issue.  Even using MSCONFIG to suppress a bunch of startup items didn't fix the problem.  One of the computers showed over a week of failed installations in its history.

With the two older units (4th gen Core i7 and 6th gen i7) I ultimately had to delete the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder and I then manually downloaded the update and installed it.  With the newest laptop (8th gen Core i5) I was able to do the manual installation without having first deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder contents.

As I said, maybe it's just my bad Karma, but don't automatically assume your computer has successfully installed the update.  Examining the update history may be worthwhile just to verify the status.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Like many others here my one computer that has Windows 10 failed to upgrade properly.  After the aborted attempt,  I had severe corruption of the system files.  I ended up formatting the drive and doing a fresh install.  This actually was no big deal because I did not have any other software installed and NO personal files.  I feel for the average Joe who runs into these problems and does not have the technical skills to resolve them.  I feel that Microsoft is really letting down their users but past actions show they only really care about corporate customers (where the money is).

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Four relatively easy installs, but two of the machines have problems.  One machine that has not upgraded yet and I just checked yesterday..  The two machines with problems have one with a minor problem, I have to put my pin in twice to log on, and the other is very slow.  The slow one is a quad core 1GHZ AMD chip with 4GB of RAM and an 11.6" touch screen, so it was not fast beforehand. It was horribly slow after the first Windows 10 update and then a later update sped it up to being usable.  My wife thinks I should open it up and pull the hard drive and throw it out, since even new it was barely usable.  It was my "take to to a coffee shop or on a trip" machine, so I will miss it.  Costco has a Dell 13" 2-in-one with an i7, 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD on sale that I might pick up instead.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

1 minute ago, k4rs said:

Like many others here my one computer that has Windows 10 failed to upgrade properly.  After the aborted attempt,  I had severe corruption of the system files.  I ended up formatting the drive and doing a fresh install.  T

Even though it can't help you, I do urge others to try the trick I mentioned previously as a way of dealing with a computer that gets "stuck" partway through a major update.

With my wife's old (~5 years) Dell Inspiron went through the update but was left displaying the message "Restart Required to Complete Update" but no amount of restarting would fix the problem.  I tried "clean boots", etc, but nothing worked.  What was troublesome was that I tried a manual update only to get a message "Windows Update XYZ already installed".  

I was afraid that I was going to have to reformat the drive when I came across a tip which discussed clearing the Windows/SoftwareDistribution folder and all its subfolders.  Having now done that on 2 laptops I can tell you that it does work.  It clears the update history (you lose the list of all past updates) but it does make it possible to download and install the one that was causing the problem.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Very frustrating and irritating to say the least! Why does MS release the new builds if they cant get them right! The last two days have been a total pain! Defender has been giving me the fits! Messages that it "Failed to Install, on my W/10 Tablet and Gateway computer

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

If you are retired like me you can call Microsoft (800-642-7676) about defective updates and get help at no charge to you. It does take a few hours usually and they will need to take remote control. I have no problem with that. But see my post about new Microsoft imposters calling people up trying to get control of their systems. The important thing to remember is that Microsoft will not call you, you have to call them. If someone calls and says they are from the Microsoft Tech support billing to give a refund for recent paid tech support, or that they are seeing security issues being sent from your computer, copy the numbers and report the attempts to Microsoft here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/reportascam/?locale=en-US

As well if you have been compromised Microsoft has a special "Safety Scanner" here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products/scanner?OCID=Outtake1116Securityd

Just to be safe I would run the scanner because there are lots of compromised machines that may be causing issues.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

My laptop did something very strange yesterday.  It downloaded update KB4051963 but it picked the version labeled as being for AMD-based computers.  The problem is that my laptop has an Intel Core i7.  The update tried to install but was left with the "restart needed" message. It showed in the list of completed updates and I was permitted to initiate the uninstall process but that failed.

I was thinking of using the SoftwareDistribution folder approach I mentioned previously, but I decided to first try to manually download and install the correct version of KB4051963, the one for x64-based systems.  That worked and now two versions of the update are showing as having been successfully installed??????

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I installed it Dec. 3rd with no problem.

November 30, 2017—KB4051963 (OS Build 16299.98)

Applies to: Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1709

Improvements and fixes

This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

• Addressed a script-related issue that caused Internet Explorer to stop working in some cases.

• Addressed issue with the Input Method Editor’s (IME) text input window for Internet Explorer.

• Addressed issue with rendering a graphics element in Internet Explorer.

• Addressed issue with form submissions in Internet Explorer.

• Addressed issue where the Location-hash is lost when navigating back if you previously navigated to an invalid URL.

• Addressed issue where applications may stop responding for customers who have internet or web proxies enabled using PAC script configurations. This is a result of a reentrancy deadlock in WinHTTP.dll. This can result in the following:

• Microsoft Outlook cannot connect to Microsoft Office365.

• Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge cannot successfully render any content (including local computer content, local network content, or web content).

• Cisco Jabber stops responding, which blocks messaging and telephony features.

• Any application or service that relies on WinHTTP is impacted.
  • Addressed a performance regression when users run full-screen Microsoft DirectX 9 games and applications.
  • Addressed  issue that prevents Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 3 from running on some high-end gaming laptop configurations.

• Addressed issue where user selections for Feedback Frequency in Settings Privacy Feedback & diagnostics aren't saved.

• Addressed issue where RNDIS5 networking devices don't get a valid IP address or don't show network connectivity. If the issue continues after installing the update, you may need to uninstall and reinstall your Remote NDIS network adapter using Device Manager.

• Addressed issue where if a user manually changes the system's time zone and doesn't log off or restart, the new time doesn't display on the Lockscreen clock.

• Addressed issue that impacted some Epson SIDM (Dot Matrix) and TM (POS) printers, which were failing to print on x86 and x64-based systems. This issue affects KB4048955.

If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.

For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, see the Security Update Guide.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Archived