Full Body Paint

EverywhereMan

10 hours ago, RV Vagabond Jerry said:

Given a choice I would go with raw fiberglass.

That is probably the reason it is still offered. But most new RVs have the flashy designs done with decals if not full body paint.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to get the paint info for our 2004 Newmar.  Its a KA and full body paint.  I have the paint already and some clear to do touch ups and resprays.  I will be using some commercial EPDM roof coating that I had tinted to the base color of the trailer, which will go on the roof down to the trim/gutter.  Then will also do the entire front cap and the front area which will be behind the truck when towing, to reduce the effect of chips etc.  

Marcel

We are members of the Discovery Owners group and there has been lots of talk on the discussion groups lately about folks who have gone down to Mexico to have this done. The cost is about half of what it is in the states and just judging by the pics the owners have posted, it looks like the work is top quality...of course there is the added benefit of staying the winter on the beach in Mexico too!!!  

1 hour ago, coachmac9 said:

We are members of the Discovery Owners group and there has been lots of talk on the discussion groups lately about folks who have gone down to Mexico to have this done. The cost is about half of what it is in the states and just judging by the pics the owners have posted, it looks like the work is top quality...of course there is the added benefit of staying the winter on the beach in Mexico too!!!  

Like anywhere else you should be careful in selecting where you get your work done. I know someone that had some painting done in Mexico and it did not hold up well. As in everything you get what you pay for.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

We have a friend who has his decals removed and painted on in Mexico a few years ago, it was inexpensive.  The work was done on the beach outdoors.  From a distance it looked good but when you were closer you could see imperfections, runs, sand, etc.  He had a full body paint job last year in Bremen, IN and is now happy.  Mexico had no enclosed paint building and didn't bake the paint on, maybe there are places in Mexico that are properly equipped?      Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I know people that have painting done in Mexico. They send someone from here that knows how to do the work to keep an eye on things.  The work is good......seen allot worse up here........a high end 5th I looked at had so much orange peel that it look like it was sprayed with gravel guard......people were happy with it though.

image.png.985bad98a13a8563ab9933bd3bcba6b7.png

2011 Cameo 34SB3

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

Like anywhere else you should be careful in selecting where you get your work done. I know someone that had some painting done in Mexico and it did not hold up well. As in everything you get what you pay for.

Good advice! I'm not sure I would ever do it but the pics and reviews that I have read have been good. I'm sure there are good and bad places down there just like here in the states.

I know absolutely nothing about painting anything . We were told by a shop that paints RV's  in Goshen, Ind that they can not bake the paint on a RV like a Car/Truck as the temperature needed would melt the gel coat.??????

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Mike's Custom painting baked ours.  We were in the paint & baking room after it was done and before they pulled it out.  According to their website its baked at 140 degrees for 45 minutes.   Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350

Mike's in Bremen, IN does, I've been in it in 2012.  I think most RV paint shops do as they paint a lot of RVs for the manufacturers.  There are always vehicles sitting in their lot for painting.  They do  a lot of commercial trucks too.     Greg 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350

We recently had a full paint done by Precision in Bremen In. I flew out to Bremen, and visited Mike's, Precision and 2 others (names escape me). Mike's seems to cater more to production RV jazz-ups than what we wanted. I carefully checked out the finished product and also in-process ones to see the prep & detail on a finished coach.( I owned a body shop for 10 years, and like to think I know what I'm looking at.) We chose Precision, and are very happy with the results. If you are interested in a blow-by-blow sequence, pls PM me. The results were great, but there were a couple of small bumps in the road. Overall, we would use Precision again.  (My pics are too big to post here)

2000 Volvo 635

2003 Newmar KA

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 12:11 PM, richfaa said:

Yes you can but it is not cheap we have done it.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked at the price... Then I had my Cessna (172) repainted.  Now the trailer seems quite reasonable.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

• 2 years later...
33 minutes ago, Iris thomas said:

I think that paint an RV exterior can make your RV become more attractive and special.

Welcome to the Escapee forums. You may not get much action on this post since it was more than 2 years ago, but we are still happy to have you with us. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I just looked at your profile to perhaps see what kind of RV you had.  I'd highly advise you to remove your personal address from your profile.  

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4 minutes ago, filthy-beast said:

It is not a valid postal address and interesting first two posts.

It also appears English is not her? first language. Which doesn't in itself mean anything but when added to the other clues does make one wonder.

Linda

Edited by sandsys

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We did not paint our 2013 3402.It was full body paint from Keystone. There were two color schemes both dark. Maple city painted it I had no control over who did it. The front panel  chipped badly in about 6 months of travel .We applied bedliner yes we had mud flaps.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.