Stromberg-Carlson cargo deck @ freestoneangler

Yarome

Took my awhile to search for any reference and finally decided it needed it's own thread.

RV gremlins are a "known".. and I have no idea what joy they seem to find in hiding a guys tools.. but I've been following your lead on this rack and finally found my large adjustable wrench (as I am going to need to reset my hitch to accomodate the load shift), so I'm good to go now.

May I just note that there is no way on heaven and earth where my large adjutable would have been stowed between the bed mattress and platform (where it was ultimately found)! That's just darn rude!

I've had this hitch deck rattling around in the back of my rig for a bit, now.

The question being is what did you end up doing with the LP tank cover? For my setup it looks like I'm going to have to go with a soft cover. What did you end up going with and are you satisfied with it?

Any other installation, post or other advice and/or insight would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yarome.  Sorry for the delayed response... been busy of late.  I was able to use my original hard plastic cover with modifications.  I attempted to post some pictures some time ago on the original thread, but the forum limits are so restrictive, the cropped photo did not show details.  If you want to PM me with your e-mail, I will send the pictures to you.

Basically, I removed the rivets holding the two halves together and replaced those with screws and lock-nuts.  I used a fine tooth jigsaw and notched out a relief area where the front support bar interfered with the cover (about 1-1/2" w x 8" l).  I also used the jigsaw to cut a 8" hole on the back side of the cover that allows me to see the fill gage and tank switch/valve. 

I like the look of the hard cover and the protection it affords.  Sure, access to the tanks when R&R for filling takes a few more minutes, but it really isn't that big a deal - not something we do very often. 

Bill

Archived