Need information concering, 3 pedal 18 speed Auto Shift

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I have found a truck that may suit my needs, its a 2001 Peterbilt 379.  I have been looking for a 13 -18 speed manual transmission as I want more gears for crossing all the mountain ranges I encounter on my trips.  This truck has an Eaton-Fuller, 3 pedal 18 speed Auto Shift, I didn't know that such a transmission was made.  So I am asking for any information you folks may have concerning this transmission, problems it may be subject to, good things to know about it, opinions as to its over all operation, etc.  Thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I have found a truck that may suit my needs, its a 2001 Peterbilt 379.  I have been looking for a 13 -18 speed manual transmission as I want more gears for crossing all the mountain ranges I encounter on my trips.  This truck has an Eaton-Fuller, 3 pedal 18 speed Auto Shift, I didn't know that such a transmission was made.  So I am asking for any information you folks may have concerning this transmission, problems it may be subject to, good things to know about it, opinions as to its over all operation, etc.  Thanks.

Dave

My first ever ride in a truck with an autoshift was an 18-speed in a Kenworth T800. If I recall right, the salesman bumped it up to 5th gear before ever rolling because those first few gears are really S L O W (groundspeed). After that, once we were rolling I believe it skip-shifted 2 gears per shift several times (we were bobtailing). Other than that, as far as I know it's just an automated Eaton Fuller 18-speed transmission that works like the 10-speed you have. A great tranny, from all I hear.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

10 minutes ago, Buscrusher said:

My first ever ride in a truck with an autoshift was an 18-speed in a Kenworth T800. If I recall right, the salesman bumped it up to 5th gear before ever rolling because those first few gears are really S L O W (groundspeed). After that, once we were rolling I believe it skip-shifted 2 gears per shift several times (we were bobtailing). Other than that, as far as I know it's just an automated Eaton Fuller 18-speed transmission that works like the 10-speed you have. A great tranny, from all I hear.

Howdy Doug,

Thanks for your post, the truck I am looking at is in Minnesota, 1,600 miles away.  I am going to have a friend of mine take a look at it sometime this week, if its in decent shape I might catch a flight back to see it myself.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave;

Good news 2001, it's a Gen2 unit!

Curt 

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

mr. cob - use the clutch manually to launch and stop and reverse. This system float shifts only without opening the clutch once under way.  It will use the jake to decel the engine if upshifting while climbing. 

These have auto adjusting clutches. Dirt and stickiness can cause a fuss but is totally fixable.

The truck will have traction control system.  Removing axles needs to be properly done.

System may make skip shifts on its own once under way. 

“Manual” mode allows manual gear selection and skip shifts and selection of a gear to “hold”as in grade descending or climbing in poor traction where you want to lug the engine rather than make a shift.  System will not allow engine over rev downhill. It will upshift if driver doesn’t control downhill speed. 

Low mode holds low gear at launch for creeping. Shifting to low at speed then letting off throttle pedal triggers full retarder performance mode. Trans and engine have a little chit chat then trans shifts to a 2000 rpm gear and jake comes on. As the truck decels the trans downshifts at 1700rpm back to 2000rpm and the cycle repeats through 18 speeds if you want. 

A Pete should have a cobra-head shifter mounted on a console not a calculator pad. 

It is important to let the trans x y shifter cycle in neutral when you key on before selecting a gear. 

If I remember something else I’ll pipe up again. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Howdy noteven,

Thanks for the detailed information, that is what I wanted to hear.  My 10 speed Auto Shift won't skip shift it runs through all the gears going up or down but it will allow me to choose 3rd gear to launch.

This truck is located in Minnesota, 1,600 miles away, I am having a friend take a look at it hopefully this coming Saturday, if Gary gives it a thumbs up I'll have to think real hard about popping for a plane ticket and then dodging the law to get it back home to Washington.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

10 hours ago, CDR said:

Dave;

Good news 2001, it's a Gen2 unit!

Curt 

Howdy Curt,

Yup, 18 gears and rated at 550 horse power, that should get the job done, just wish it weren't so far away.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, that sounds like a good truck for you.  Does that truck have a cat engine in it?  Wasn't that the era when they were having problems with the cats?  I think we know of a few that were rebuilt because of the issues.  I think Gene had a truck with a rebuild, if I recall correctly!

Is it coming off the trucking lines, or was it already set up for hauling an RV?

Remember that song; "I fought the law, and the law won"!!!!!  I think you would be safe.  Maybe the seller can help you out.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

3 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

Dave, that sounds like a good truck for you.  Does that truck have a cat engine in it?  Wasn't that the era when they were having problems with the cats?  I think we know of a few that were rebuilt because of the issues.  I think Gene had a truck with a rebuild, if I recall correctly!

Is it coming off the trucking lines, or was it already set up for hauling an RV?

Remember that song; "I fought the law, and the law won"!!!!!  I think you would be safe.  Maybe the seller can help you out.

Howdy Rocky,

Yes, the truck has a Cat engine, however it is the single turbo version from my research this engine was one of the last "good ones" before they started to have problems.  The dealer who now has the truck gave me the phone number of the guy who traded it in, I called the previous owner and if he was truthful, sometimes ya just have to have a little faith in people good nature, I was impressed by what he had to say.  This truck has a total of 1.6 million miles on it, engine was rebuilt 700 thousand miles ago so it should have enough life left in it for my purposes, I put 65,000 on my Freightliner in the last 4 years and it has 780 thousand on it now and is running GREAT, so I figure this Pete should last as long as I'll be driving a large RV.

I don't know anyone who has a CDL so getting the truck home if I decide to buy it will pose a problem, but I'll figure something out if it comes to that.  Now I just need to sell my faithful Freightliner, if the Freightliner sold that would push me over the edge and I'd do whatever it takes to get a different truck, summers coming and I have plans made, places to go, folks to visit and the NEED to chase the horizon yet again.......................

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

Does your state allow you to drive a truck that heavy without a different license?  And obviously, your not using it for commercial purposes driving it across the U.S.

Howdy Rocky,

In Washington, "The Peoples Republik of", I can drive a class 8 truck with my regular drivers license, "IF" the truck is converted to a "motor home" which my Freightliner is.  However, the truck I am looking at is still in it original "commercial" form, so legally I can't drive it.  Driving from Minnesota to Washington during the winter months it's wise to stick to the freeways, there's at least 5 possibly 10 scales on I-90, I-94 between MN and WA so the chances of being "questioned" is HIGH, thus my trepidation about just driving the truck home and dealing with the conversion when I get it home.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Rocky,

In Washington, "The Peoples Republik of", I can drive a class 8 truck with my regular drivers license, "IF" the truck is converted to a "motor home" which my Freightliner is.  However, the truck I am looking at is still in it original "commercial" form, so legally I can't drive it.  Driving from Minnesota to Washington during the winter months it's wise to stick to the freeways, there's at least 5 possibly 10 scales on I-90, I-94 between MN and WA so the chances of being "questioned" is HIGH, thus my trepidation about just driving the truck home and dealing with the conversion when I get it home.

Dave

Dave;

You can try this, get your rv stickers made for it. Get a Washington state "trip permit", remove current plates and you should be good to go! As long as you make it "home" before the permit expires!

Curt 

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2 & 4 Wheelers!

1 minute ago, CDR said:

Dave;

You can try this, get your rv stickers made for it. Get a Washington state "trip permit", remove current plates and you should be good to go! As long as you make it "home" before the permit expires!

Curt 

Dave;

You can always buy more permits and date them accordingly.....

Curt 

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Howdy All,

I just had an interesting conversation with a very helpful lady at the WA DMV.  I "should" be able to do the conversion while the truck is still in MN.  I have down loaded all the nessisary forms and am going to stop in at the local licensing place and run all this by them. 

They have helped me get plates on stranger things in the past so I need to talk to them about how to handle sales tax and registration while I am in MN.  If they can do this by mail, I "should" be able to do what little is required while in MN, have the local license place mail me the plates and drive that baby home.  After I visit the local license place I'll report back here with what they say.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Well, I have some really GREAT news.  I have in my possession all the forms nessisary to certify that the truck  will have been "converted" to a motor home while it is still in MN. 

I would have to install toilet facilities and cooking facilities fill out the form declaring that this has been done, mail those forms, a certified scale weight ticket to the local licensing place and have my wife pay the sales tax due at the licensing place, when that's done they will mail me plates, tabs, and registration as a motor home.

So, now I have to wait until this coming Saturday when Gary will look at the truck and give me his opinion.  If Gary thinks it's in good shape I then have to decide if I want to take the plunge, get an airplane ticket and go for it or keep sitting on the bench.  This truck if its in as good a shape as the photos show and has been taken care of the way the previous owner told me it was, is exactly what I have been looking for.  If it takes a while to sell the Freightliner, I don't know where I'll park the Pete, but I'll figure it out.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Well, I have some really GREAT news.  I have in my possession all the forms nessisary to certify that the truck  will have been "converted" to a motor home while it is still in MN. 

I would have to install toilet facilities and cooking facilities fill out the form declaring that this has been done, mail those forms, a certified scale weight ticket to the local licensing place and have my wife pay the sales tax due at the licensing place, when that's done they will mail me plates, tabs, and registration as a motor home.

So, now I have to wait until this coming Saturday when Gary will look at the truck and give me his opinion.  If Gary thinks it's in good shape I then have to decide if I want to take the plunge, get an airplane ticket and go for it or keep sitting on the bench.  This truck if its in as good a shape as the photos show and has been taken care of the way the previous owner told me it was, is exactly what I have been looking for.  If it takes a while to sell the Freightliner, I don't know where I'll park the Pete, but I'll figure it out.

Dave

Dave;

I don't think you will have a problem selling your truck! Is the Pete singled? If not let me know who did your insurance, I have a friend nearby that needs a source for tandems.....

Curt 

2 & 4 Wheelers!

16 minutes ago, CDR said:

Dave;

I don't think you will have a problem selling your truck! Is the Pete singled? If not let me know who did your insurance, I have a friend nearby that needs a source for tandems.....

Curt 

Howdy Curt,

The truck is still tandem and I want to leave it that way.  I have insurance through this agent,

Melissa Thum, President

Thum Insurance Agency, LLC

Auto – Home – RV – Business

3140 3 Mile Rd NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525

P 616-957-2400 - F 616-957-1204

melissa@thuminsurance.com

www.thuminsurance.com

The insurance company itself is, "General" insurance.  I havn't called on this truck yet because its still a truck and Melissa told me they would sell me a commercial policy on another truck I was looking at but until its an RV they wouldn't cover it as a motor home. 

That's why I have been going nuts trying to figure out how to get it home if I decide to buy it, now that I know how to get it registered as a motor home while its still in MN it shouldn't be a problem to get insurance BUT before I agree to buy the truck I'll give Melissa a call and make darn sure they will insure it with the tandem axles.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

6 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

Dave, it sounds like you have it all worked out!!!  Way to stay after it.  Let's hope this is going to be the truck.

Howdy Rocky,

I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning, NO, its worse then that.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

It is going to be a gen 1 Autoshift in that truck.  They didn't get gen 2 until all of the datalink wiring got incorporated in the new (fall) 2002 harnesses.  The aero trucks got that stuff before 2002 but that is because they were actually bought with Autoshifts.  Any self respecting long hooder would never bring home an automatic to mama so they were few and far between back then and were the very last to get 1939 in them.  So it probably has the Autoshift part wired over and above, which isn't a big deal but it probably has two diagnostic plugs and you'll be searching for hidden relays forever.  That makes it even tougher to fix being a gen 1 that ServiceRanger can't talk to anymore. 

It also means that it'll have the monster sheet metal tower between the seats.  Ordinarily that's not too big a deal but you only have a foot between the seats as it is and a few feet of Unibilt sleeper opening so it might get kind of annoying.  It'll be placed right where you and the Mrs have to do the sleeper dance when moving around.  Don't accidentally hit that shifter and break it because you can't get them anymore!  Does the truck have the large Peterbilt side exit door?  That will alleviate some of the loading frustration if it does.  They are pretty nice.  And start saving up for some Moto Mirrors.......you'll miss not having them!  They were suprisingly rare back in the day.

I got truck parking down here in Maple Valley if needed for a bit.  Well, not for Freightliners though....;)

31 minutes ago, Scrap said:

It is going to be a gen 1 Autoshift in that truck.  They didn't get gen 2 until all of the datalink wiring got incorporated in the new (fall) 2002 harnesses.  The aero trucks got that stuff before 2002 but that is because they were actually bought with Autoshifts.  Any self respecting long hooder would never bring home an automatic to mama so they were few and far between back then and were the very last to get 1939 in them.  So it probably has the Autoshift part wired over and above, which isn't a big deal but it probably has two diagnostic plugs and you'll be searching for hidden relays forever.  That makes it even tougher to fix being a gen 1 that ServiceRanger can't talk to anymore. 

It also means that it'll have the monster sheet metal tower between the seats.  Ordinarily that's not too big a deal but you only have a foot between the seats as it is and a few feet of Unibilt sleeper opening so it might get kind of annoying.  It'll be placed right where you and the Mrs have to do the sleeper dance when moving around.  Don't accidentally hit that shifter and break it because you can't get them anymore!  Does the truck have the large Peterbilt side exit door?  That will alleviate some of the loading frustration if it does.  They are pretty nice.  And start saving up for some Moto Mirrors.......you'll miss not having them!  They were suprisingly rare back in the day.

I got truck parking down here in Maple Valley if needed for a bit.  Well, not for Freightliners though....;)

Howdy Scrap,

Here's a photo of the shifter, yes it does take up some room.  Is this what your talking about?  In your opinion would this transmission be a deal breaker for my intended use?

Peterbilt%20shifter-L.jpg

Thanks for your information and opinion.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

I don't think this truck has enough gauges, I might have to add a few................

img.axd.jpg

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

6 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I don't think this truck has enough gauges, I might have to add a few................

img.axd.jpg

Dave

Skip the frilly moto mirrors, you will have to start all over with your chrome skulls and bullets theme.  A budget for about 20 pounds of chrome per month ought to bring the interior up to snuff in reasonable time for the rally.     😎😉

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Archived