Hayes brake controller - acting up

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a Hayes air activated brake controller in the truck. On Sunday when I was getting the truck ready to leave the camp grounds to come home. I plugged the trailer cord into the truck. At first I did not have turn signals, so I re-plugged the cord back into the truck and things were all ok. At some point the trailer started making a buzzing noise. I was glad that my grandson heard the noise and said, is the trailer suppose to make that buzzing noise. I open up the side of the trailer and heard the brake master cylinder being activated. I look at the Jackaloppee and saw the same thing. Then I looked at the Hayes brake controller and saw the little red light was on telling me that the controller was putting out some voltage. I did not move the truck or put the brakes on. The way that I was able to come home was to remove the brake controller wire (blue wire) from the terminal strip before the wire goes into the Jackaloppee. That stopped the buzzing noise. Now I have no brakes on the trailer. Thank goodness for having a big truck. After getting home I measured the voltage from the blue wire or the brake controller wire and found out there was about 3 volts going out. Where do I out next ? What other test do I need to make ?

Looking for any help. I have time on my side because I am home. No trips planned.
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

5 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Personal opinion? Replace the Hayes with a Direclink controller and never look back.

x2

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Alan, If you remove the Hayes and take the top off, the 4 corner screws, you will see a copper bar that is probably touching the coil.  It's enough to send current thru and activate the actuator in the trailer.  

As soon as I can, I'm going with BluDot.  Direct link doesn't support the older Gen 1 Volvos.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

One of the first users of DirecLink controller is Trey&Susan and they have a Gen I Volvo VNL 770,  It is incorrect to say that Gen I Volvos are not supported by DirecLink.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Do you have a slight pause before trailer brakes apply? I did with the Hayes unit. Wondering about the Direct link

instantaneous

+ hill hold  +control of application+etc etc    look it up , comes with a book of operator controlled parameters

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

1 minute ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

One of the first users of DirecLink controller is Trey&Susan and they have a Gen I Volvo VNL 770,  It is incorrect to say that Gen I Volvos are not supported by DirecLink.

Mark, I stand corrected.  There is a year cutoff somewhere in the Gen 1 Volvo's .  According to Alan from Direct Link that has never shown up to a rally, the interface will not work with the '98 Volvo's.  At least the '98's with Cummins engines....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

59 minutes ago, hone eagle said:

instantaneous

+ hill hold  +control of application+etc etc    look it up , comes with a book of operator controlled parameters

Thanks for the info. I was curious. Would not change my Bludot though. It works great also. I always has a pause with the Hayes though. main reason I went with bludot.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

10 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Mark, I stand corrected.  There is a year cutoff somewhere in the Gen 1 Volvo's .  According to Alan from Direct Link that has never shown up to a rally, the interface will not work with the '98 Volvo's.  At least the '98's with Cummins engines....

Jim,

Had an invitation to ECR.  Just saying.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

18 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Personal opinion? Replace the Hayes with a Direclink controller and never look back.

Hi Everyone,

Right now the DirectLink is not in the picture. Maybe in a couple of years. The Hayes is about a year old. If I pull the top off the Hayes what should I look at ? If I look at the cooper bar, what do I look for ?  Is there a part inside the Hayes starting to fail ? 

Need more insight about this Hayes right now.
Al

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

And was supposed to stop by the National...

Maybe we just aren't a big enough market for him to "waste" his time with?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

You don't just trapse through a rally, sniff some CAN, and fix up a bunch of trucks.  It is pretty involved and if you set your sniffer wrong you'd all end up paying the dealer out to clear your check engine lights and/or re-parameterize your trucks to get the trans to go into drive again.  When I helped him with 20 years worth of KW's it took over a month and that was just 15 trucks.  I screwed up my double to Georgia's truck so bad it took the MX call center guys 3 days to figure out what I did.  Long story short you want to keep your development controlled, take it back home to your HIL bench to test the living chit out of it for awhile, then only validate when it comes to customer trucks.

Besides you don't want a can controller on old 1587 only trucks anyways.  1587 is diagnostic and even though it probably does work it was never designed to be a thing reliable enough for controllers.  It is a brake system after all.....  

Scrap, I understand that, but he has been invited twice to the rally's and someone else has offered his truck to use as a test subject. 

Glen- Can't even get an e-mail or a phone call back saying we can't accommodate your truck.  Just left hanging on a "Let me see".  No return e-mails etc.  Harder to get hold of this guy than the Blu Dot sales.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Gosh, I didn't have any real trouble with them. My problem was my work hours. Once we finally got to talk, it went very smooth. But if you have Kodiak discs, all you need is a single master cylinder, the Bludot kit, tank valves, etc. You will also need extra a pressure regular valve. Air at tank needs to be 90ish pounds, not the truck higher pressure. Jack's write up covers this

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I heard "commercial" trailers have air brakes...

physics is different on rv mobiles I guess...

My new to me  "classic" truck has a POS Tekonsha delayed action POS in it. Needs to be used for a forgotten wheel chock. Definitely not the DirecLink that I have in the won ton...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Yesterday, I started installing my BluDot system.  First task, find a place to mount the air tank.  The front of our coach doesn't have a door big enough to pass it through, other than the basement storage.  The compartment where the current electric/hydraulic pump resides has a door 2" too narrow.

Finally, I gave up and decided to change the oil in the genny and let my brain cool down.  Slid under the nose to see about dropping the spare tire to access the genny oil filter, and there in front of me was the perfect place, mounts already built, for the air tank.

Looks like it will be pretty easy to find a new home for the spare under the garage portion of the coach.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

31 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Finally, I gave up and decided to change the oil in the genny and let my brain cool down.  Slid under the nose to see about dropping the spare tire to access the genny oil filter, and there in front of me was the perfect place, mounts already built, for the air tank.

Looks like it will be pretty easy to find a new home for the spare under the garage portion of the coach.

Mounting it under the trailer is a possibility that many do not utilize. It will work fine there, and you can bring your drain valve and and pressure gauge to a more useful location. In some cases using an remote electric drain valve is called for. But that is getting pretty fancy. Just protect your lines well.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On 11/27/2017 at 1:59 PM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Hi Everyone,

I have an update about the Hayes unit. While driving home from the weekend camping trip, I was doing some  rethinking about Hayes unit. To get the brakes in the trailer not to activate, I disconnected the blue wire going to the Jackaloppee so I could come home with out the trailer brakes. I thought to myself that there is an easier way to remove power from the Hayes unit. You guys got it, remove the fuse. After I got home I removed the fuse and reconnected the blue wire back to the Jackaloppee. Yesterday I needed to move the trailer and park it for the winter. I wanted to see if the same problem was going on with the Hayes. I put the fuse back in the fuse box. Guess what happen. The Hayes brake controller was acting just fine. I don't know what to think. I hope this problem does not show up again.

Any thoughts,
Al

Archived