Jump to content
mesa

Horst Miracle Probes

Recommended Posts

We use our monitor maybe once every couple of months , if that often . 

The tanks let us know when they are full or getting there . 

Besides , I wouldn't cherish trying to find , let alone replace the sensors . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After installing many customer provided Horst probes, and listening to the usual complaints about the standard probes, the manufacturer of my trailer (Escape Trailer Industries), has made them standard for all trailers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vermilye said:

 the manufacturer of my trailer (Escape Trailer Industries), has made them standard for all trailers.  

How long have you had your RV and how well do the Horst probes work? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We bought these for our black tank. They work well for the most part, but every so often they don't. I think part of the issue was during installation I drilled the holes the same angle as the tank. The problem is that sensor 2 the tank is on an angle. I think the issue is that I should have drilled the hole straight in. I am thinking about buying another set for the gray tank, but it's a low priority for now. They are much less expensive than SeeLevel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been working perfectly for over five years. Comforting to see empty when the tanks have been drained.

Edited by RBH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using them in the grey and black tanks for 11 years. They are terrific. They very very seldom give false reading, which go away with the next dump and tank wash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

We use our monitor maybe once every couple of months , if that often . 

The tanks let us know when they are full or getting there .

 

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

How long have you had your RV and how well do the Horst probes work? 

I don't want to put words in anyones mouths.. and the general consensus (for those that use them) seems to be that they are a vast improvment over stock sensors... however.... I agree completely with Pat & Pete. "The tanks let us know when they are full (*empty) or getting there." and I think Kirk "might" have been hinting at the same.

It doesn't take long at all to "learn" your tanks and, IMHO, is the most reliable over any sensor you install. When your pump changes "voice"... you're fresh water tank is runnin low. When your drains go down an octave or your bum throne "burps" when you flush... you're getting full.

I use methods to flush and clean my tanks, but I think the only time I've actually pressed the tank monitor buttons has been when I ran out of reading material and was done out of sheer boredom more than anything. ;)

TMI?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Garth Bacon said:

I have been using them in the grey and black tanks for 11 years. They are terrific. They very very seldom give false reading, which go away with the next dump and tank wash. 

Thank you for your reply. That was exactly what I was looking for, someone with actual experience using them. I have known two others who have had a similar experience, but second-hand reports are not worth much. I happen to be in the group who just learn how often to dump and ignore the tank level indications, but have long thought it might be nice to have a level indicator that works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Thank you for your reply. That was exactly what I was looking for, someone with actual experience using them. I have known two others who have had a similar experience, but second-hand reports are not worth much. I happen to be in the group who just learn how often to dump and ignore the tank level indications, but have long thought it might be nice to have a level indicator that works. 

Kinda like having a picture of a rock laying in a closet that you store Christmas decorations in ? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem of having level indicators that work was solved some time ago by Garnet Instruments with their See Level Tank Monitoring System.

After two trailers with the old "probe and LED" style monitors, our Hitchhiker came from the factory with the See Level system. And it IS nice to actually know what the levels are in your tanks. The system is accurate, consistent,  and more precise than any other system (including "learning your tanks..."). I won't have another trailer without them.

With reference to the OP's original post I would suggest that if you have enough access to change out the current tank probes, consider changing the entire system out the the See Level system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I've only had the Escape 21 since August, I can't give a qualified opinion.  My previous trailer, an Escape 17 rarely gave correct levels on the black & gray tanks using the standard probes, but so far the new trailer has been accurate. I think Reace (the owner of Escape Trailer Industries) got tired of complaints about the indicators using standard probes & switched to cut down the whining! They provide excellent customer service...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Except see level are more costly than the Horst

2 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

The problem of having level indicators that work was solved some time ago by Garnet Instruments with their See Level Tank Monitoring System.

After two trailers with the old "probe and LED" style monitors, our Hitchhiker came from the factory with the See Level system. And it IS nice to actually know what the levels are in your tanks. The system is accurate, consistent,  and more precise than any other system (including "learning your tanks..."). I won't have another trailer without them.

With reference to the OP's original post I would suggest that if you have enough access to change out the current tank probes, consider changing the entire system out the the See Level system. 

See level are more expensive than the horst , penny saved :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mesa said:

Except see level are more costly than the Horst

See level are more expensive than the horst , penny saved :D

Yes, the Horst probes are cheaper than a SeeLevel system, but they are also as inaccurate as the original probes. The SeeLevel percentage readings give you a much better picture of your actual tank conditions. I've found them well worthwhile, particularly when boondocking a long way from a dump station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mesa said:

Except see level are more costly than the Horst

They are. If you really want to save money, don't install the Horst probes either. It all depends on how well (or even if) you'd like the monitoring system to work...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even sure I would install the horst , was just wondering if they worked which it seems that they do. Will more than likely just keep an eye and ear on the tanks and let them speak to me 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, noteven said:

SeeLevel's readout is in % which is that damphool metric.  

If you know how to count your money , then you have a pretty good handle on the metric system .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, noteven said:

SeeLevel's readout is in % which is that damphool metric.  

You do realize that you were born with metric system at the end of your appendages, right?   Number system is metric = base 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2017 at 11:42 PM, Pat & Pete said:

We use our monitor maybe once every couple of months , if that often . 

The tanks let us know when they are full or getting there . 

Not on some newer models. On some models the toilets are no longer mounted directly above the tank. You no longer get to listen to your tank when you flush. Some larger 5th wheels are actually coming with two restrooms but only 1 holding tank. I'm not exactly sure where my black water tank is, but I know it isn't under the toilet. 

I vote for the See Level gauges........ and "percentage" isn't that hard to figure out. 25% is just like one little light on the meter you have now. 50% is two little lights. 33% is between one and two lights. 85-90% is when the third light is on and the fourth light flickers. See? It ain't all that hard.

Edited by Big5er

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2017 at 7:17 PM, mesa said:

Will more than likely just keep an eye and ear on the tanks and let them speak to me 😁

Yep, when you've just started that morning shower and the scuzzy water backs up around your ankles, it's a pretty good indicator that the gray tank is full... :wacko::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Not on some newer models. On some models the toilets are no longer mounted directly above the tank. You no longer get to listen to your tank when you flush. Some larger 5th wheels are actually coming with two restrooms but only 1 holding tank. I'm not exactly sure where my black water tank is, but I know it isn't under the toilet. 

I vote for the See Level gauges........ and "percentage" isn't that hard to figure out. 25% is just like one little light on the meter you have now. 50% is two little lights. 33% is between one and two lights. 85-90% is when the third light is on and the fourth light flickers. See? It ain't all that hard.

Our black tank is not under the toilet . There's at least one and likely two elbows in the pipe before the tank . 

I guess , for some folks that don't seem to have the wherewithal to realize a difference in flush sounds , checking the lights is a must . 

Of course checking little lights is not hard . Just something that we with so much other important things to do  , find inconvenient and unnecessary . ;)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Yep, when you've just started that morning shower and the scuzzy water backs up around your ankles, it's a pretty good indicator that the gray tank is full... :wacko::D

It takes a lot of water to get that^ deep . 

The gray tank 'talks' before it backs up . But , if you choose to not listen , well then you're stuck with the little lights or yelling to your mate to dump the tank . LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

It takes a lot of water to get that^ deep . 

The gray tank 'talks' before it backs up . But , if you choose to not listen , well then you're stuck with the little lights or yelling to your mate to dump the tank . LOL

I've heard the complaint often enough at less that FHU parks to know that not everyone listens to what the tanks are saying. Our SeeLevel system always gives us plenty of notice so we can plan our dumping needs at our convenience though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×