Pulled over in TX by state patrol

BlueLghtning

I was pulled over in East TX today and no it wasn't Phil or his Co worker we hear so much about. I was somewhere off I-10 between Beaumont, and Orange TX. I was headed WB and passed this TX State patrol sitting on the side of the road then next thing I know my wife Sarah who is following me in her Mini Cooper comes over the radio and tells me I'm being checked out. I watch him slowly come up beside me, then gets up front by me, then slides back behind the trailer and sure enough after a few minutes he lights me up pulls me over. I was able to get off at an exit so it was less traffic for all of us.

His first comment to me was that I didn't have a front license plate and he wanted to see my log book. I informed him I was registered as an RV, GA only issues one plate, and for RV's it goes on the rear. At first he was thinking I was taking about the trailer tag and I finally realized he had missed my rear plate on my truck, so I show him that and he copies that down. I also informed him I was registered privately as an RV in GA and non commercial and there was no need for a log book.  

He started trying to tell me my over 26k weight automatically made me commercial and I needed to abide by TX laws even if I was from GA. So I started to have some nice discussions with officer Pierce about what I knew, and I shared with him my knowledge and he was actually very nice about it and listened to what I had to say. He was not familiar at all with RV's behind hauled by an HDT, so we chatted about that and how that worked. I showed him my class E non commerical license that made me legal in GA to be over 26k and at that point his tone started to change and he mentioned well there are some grey areas for RV's. He would need to call one of the DOT officers and check with them, but this was all new to him.  

He ran my plates, saw I was registered as RV, talked to his DOT buddy who confirmed what I had told him that if I met GA requirements then I was legal. He actually thanked me for the chat and then we chatted some more about my setup. In the end I was able to leave with no issues and hopefully a TX State trooper that is a little more knowledgeable about HDT's.

IMG_20171125_155652756-600x450.jpg 

received_10210589237866963-338x450.jpg

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

DAn, sorry about the inconvenience with the uninformed officer.  Hope the rest of your trip goes OK.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, Av8r3400 said:

Do you carry a "binder" with all of this information?

I don't but have heard others do and I think I will put one together. 

I'm a bit skeptical though how an officer might handle that if you go pulling out a binder and how the they will take that? On one hand it puts all the info they need in one easy place for them to look at, but I would think for some officers, that might throw them in the defensive. Have others actually pulled out a binder and had an officer be receptive to that? 

I honestly was very surprised about being pulled over. I'm not carrying a smart car, only a motorcycle on the truck. My truck is singled short and I'm actually only 64.6' feet long total length so I'm not pushing any of the legal areas either. I guess it was just my turn. Glad it turned it to be a very nice experience. 

Ok Blue......

Come clean....

Whats the real story here.......

How many times did you get tazzered before.........before you forked over ALL of your Dr. Pepper......

When the copper went back to his car and called Phil out in his Kayak we all know that costs a LOT of Dr Pepper.....a LOT!!

This RV thing is real work at times.........thank God for Dr Pepper and ..........DOT-calls.

Drive on........(never drive your rig without ......Dr Pepper)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

2 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

I don't but have heard others do and I think I will put one together. 

I'm a bit skeptical though how an officer might handle that if you go pulling out a binder and how the they will take that? On one hand it puts all the info they need in one easy place for them to look at, but I would think for some officers, that might throw them in the defensive. Have others actually pulled out a binder and had an officer be receptive to that? 

Having our Binder was great when we got stopped in North Dakota.  All of the South Dakota licensing data was displayed according to statue, etc.  The pertinent paragraphs are highlighted.  Yesterday we went thru Beaumont on, made a right on 96 and a left on 105 over to Conroe.  I saw 1 patrolman in the median with a radar gun held out the window. 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I would vote for the binder. One of the ways I have impressed enforcement officers many times is how organized my permit book is. Since I deal with this sort of thing on a regular basis because of my commercial status, spot checks on the side of the road, when pulled behind the weigh station, and full blown level 1-2-3 inspections, most officers appreciate getting their questions answered quickly. Since we haul all sorts of weird trailers under varying circumstances, documentation is key. 

If the paperwork is straight, many times they forgo further inspection beyond the visual once over. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I have registration, inspections, insurance but that all. I have considered printing out the Texas rules regarding our trucks registration and highlighting what pretains to us. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My binder pages are as follows: Table of Contents in large, bold font (intentional so trooper can’t miss contents if he is looking), registration for truck and trailer (motor home designation clearly visible), insurance for truck and trailer, copy of Tennessee statute concerning drivers license requirement for motor home,copy of Tennessee statute designating motor home (RV) exempt from commercial drivers license and commercial requirements, copy of Tennessee statute stating license plate display on rear of motor home (Tennessee issues only one plate also).  If stopped, I will pull my binder in view of the officer and produce only the information he requests.  I will not hand him the whole binder unless requested.  If he starts requesting information I am not required to have, I will politely say I don’t have it and I have proof my state does not require it if he wishes to see it.  If he declines, I will not push the issue.  Being argumentative almost never ends well.  Knock on wood, never even had a second glance except a smile from a trooper in all our travels even when stopped next to patrol car at rest area.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

5 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

My binder pages are as follows: Table of Contents in large, bold font (intentional so trooper can’t miss contents if he is looking), registration for truck and trailer (motor home designation clearly visible), insurance for truck and trailer, copy of Tennessee statute concerning drivers license requirement for motor home,copy of Tennessee statute designating motor home (RV) exempt from commercial drivers license and commercial requirements, copy of Tennessee statute stating license plate display on rear of motor home (Tennessee issues only one plate also).  If stopped, I will pull my binder in view of the officer and produce only the information he requests.  I will not hand him the whole binder unless requested.  If he starts requesting information I am not required to have, I will politely say I don’t have it and I have proof my state does not require it if he wishes to see it.  If he declines, I will not push the issue.  Being argumentative almost never ends well.  Knock on wood, never even had a second glance except a smile from a trooper in all our travels even when stopped next to patrol car at rest area.

Thanks, that sounds like some great suggestions. 

We were traveling  south on US 59 north of Houston on Friday 11-24-17 and we stopped at the rest area north of Livingston. Wife went to use the rest room and I was setting in truck and a Texas State Trooper pulled up beside us and was looking at our unit, I got out and ask him If wanted anything he said yes I wanted to talk to you about our set-up. He said he has been seeing more of this type of set-ups traveling on US 59. I told him people are thinking about be safer on the road when pulling Longer and heaver RV's so the big trucks were becoming more popularly. I told him we register the truck as a RV or Motor Home non commerical. He thank me for taking time and answering all his questions. I thanked him for his service and told to be safe and we shook hands and we went on our why.

07 630 VNL Volvo
16 Smart Car
2017 DRV 40KSSB4

Dan, did you actually drive RIGHT passed my house and not stop to say "hi"? 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

9 hours ago, Big5er said:

Dan, did you actually drive RIGHT passed my house and not stop to say "hi"? 

Hi Phil, I hope you are doing well. I don't know exactly where you live, but I think you are on the East side of Houston or at least that's the area you work? We had already stopped that day in Lake Charles, LA to meet up with a friend that took us to lunch and took way too long, then the traffic stop east of Beaumont added about another 30+ mins. Next, we had to detour around a 45min backup west of Beaumont TX, plus numerous traffic slow downs going through Houston its self on I-10. By all the time all that transpired we weren't going to be very goood company. :) We were determined to get passed Houston that evening and actually made it to Sealy, TX where we spent the night at a Walmart. 

Maybe next time we are passing through we'll be able to stop by and say hi! 

18 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Hi Everyone,

This is something that I need to do myself. I hope I can find the information that I need for the state of Ohio. Right now I don't know were to start to find this info.

Hi Carl,   I am going to try to follow your content. The less hassle the better. 

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

41 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

The HHRV Resource Guide is a start.  Documents for each state are listedd.

Hi Mark,

Thank you. I will start there first.

Al

Dan, where are you staying in Bandera?. I am heading to Lake Medina on the 8th and will be there for a week. I'll be at the Thousand Trails park in Lakehills.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

This is a sample of Texas manuals/code that are part of our truck binder . Personal Insurance and Titles have been removed.

Sample Binder (Texas Specific)

Includes a TOC/summary page and pdf Bookmarks - These are the newest versions of the manuals October 2017

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

7 hours ago, Big5er said:

Dan, where are you staying in Bandera?. I am heading to Lake Medina on the 8th and will be there for a week. I'll be at the Thousand Trails park in Lakehills.

We are at Skyline Ranch RV park just west of Bandera off Hwy 16. - http://www.skylineranchrvpark.com/

It looks like you wouldn't be that far if I'm looking at the correct spot. 

14 hours ago, TreyandSusan said:

This is a sample of Texas manuals/code that are part of our truck binder . Personal Insurance and Titles have been removed.

Sample Binder (Texas Specific)

Includes a TOC/summary page and pdf Bookmarks - These are the newest versions of the manuals October 2017

Hi Trey,

Did you get your info from HDT resource guide or a state of Texas web site ?

Al

Texas Codes and Department manuals online. Searches for the specific items will provide the full updated manuals.(October 2017 versions)

Phil's advice greatly helped refine and organize the documents I'd collected. His help is greatly appreciated. Thank you Phil.  

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Archived