Tow Vehicle Question

Hey all, I had my heart set on getting an HDT, but circumstances aren't looking good to go that direction. About the only thing I can afford is one with high miles (like a million plus). If you had a budget of say $20k, what are your thoughts on what to buy? My trailer is a 38 foot long light one. It is only about 12k pounds and a pin weight of about 2200 pounds.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

The 7.3 is getting old and any that I have seen for sale have very high mileage and are high priced. Additionally, they are noisy, vibrate and lots of stinky black exhaust. I didn't want a diesel pickup until I bought a 2011 F350 with DEF. Very happy with it. Others seem to think that the older diesel engines perform better, they don't. Good Luck

10 hours ago, oldbutspry said:

Are you in a hurry or do you have time to watch for a deal?

How about this one?  The installed hitch is only 15k lbs. so it might need replaced but otherwise it looks ok:

http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/showproduct.php?product=12340&title=2000-f350-sd-crew-drw-diesel&cat=21

No, I am not in a big hurry to get a truck. I figure as long as I am in Texas for the winter I will keep my eyes open for a deal. 

That is a decent looking truck, but at $16,500 for a 17 year old truck is kind of high priced I think. I do have a Trailer Saver TS3 in my truck now, so the hitch is not a problem. Also, I am kind partial to a Cummins. I was thinking about a 2007 Dodge with the Cummins 6.7 since they have a 6 speed auto (wife said it must be an auto in case she needs to drive it). Anybody have any experience with them?

VisitedStatesMap.gif

19 hours ago, Mntom said:

Hey all, I had my heart set on getting an HDT, but circumstances aren't looking good to go that direction. About the only thing I can afford is one with high miles (like a million plus). If you had a budget of say $20k, what are your thoughts on what to buy? My trailer is a 38 foot long light one. It is only about 12k pounds and a pin weight of about 2200 pounds.

I only gave 21k for mine. Yes, I spent some money on it but wasn't really necessary. Bed, boxes, couch, singling. You don't have to do this all at once. I have done most as I made extra money. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Geez......You guys have me looking at big trucks again..........

Glenn, I have put on 7,000 miles since the end of July and have been sitting all this month! The only thing my wife keeps saying is "we need to get a car then", but for some reason she doesn't seem to remember when I drove for a living. Using one for a daily driver is easy.....

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I think if you are patient, you'll find the right deal. I remember a few months back a couple trucks came through this site for some good deals. So you don't need a bed and you have a hitch, but the truck must be auto? Or are you okay rowing the gears in the HDT? 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Some things seem to go in cycles. I've been following a couple of possible toweds for several months now, and first one of them is readily available and the other is nowhere to be found, then the other one is and the first one is nowhere to be found.

Suggestion: have your cash ready so that when you find something that you like you can offer cash for a nice reduction in price. I don't mean that you have to walk into the dealership with 20 $1000 bills in your wallet, but if you have any financing arranged in advance and can leave a substantial cash deposit so you can come back tomorrow and finish the deal you are more likely to get the price knocked down some. Of course, if you want to walk in with actual cash in the wallet you may not have to take it all out.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

1 hour ago, BlueLghtning said:

I think if you are patient, you'll find the right deal. I remember a few months back a couple trucks came through this site for some good deals. So you don't need a bed and you have a hitch, but the truck must be auto? Or are you okay rowing the gears in the HDT? 

Nope, don't need a bed right away. I would have no problem with rowing gears, but my wife said she wants an auto shift in case there comes a time for her to drive the truck. That actually makes sense due to the fact I am 62 years old with a family history of cardiac issues. If not an auto shift there is a family member that can come drive it.............

35 minutes ago, kb0zke said:

Some things seem to go in cycles. I've been following a couple of possible toweds for several months now, and first one of them is readily available and the other is nowhere to be found, then the other one is and the first one is nowhere to be found.

Suggestion: have your cash ready so that when you find something that you like you can offer cash for a nice reduction in price. I don't mean that you have to walk into the dealership with 20 $1000 bills in your wallet, but if you have any financing arranged in advance and can leave a substantial cash deposit so you can come back tomorrow and finish the deal you are more likely to get the price knocked down some. Of course, if you want to walk in with actual cash in the wallet you may not have to take it all out.

Cash is ready. There will be no financing of the truck. Worst case scenario I can make a phone call and have the funds wired.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Archived