Progressive Industries EMT-PT30/50X Rain Guard

mysticmd

Just thought I would mention this since I contacted Progressive Industries about the EMT-PT 50X and the problems I read with the rain guard, and how some people modified the cover to make it more weatherproof.   The response I received is as follows:     "The newly added rain guard has been overwhelmingly successful extending the life of the PT30/50X.  All of our clients have regarded the clear cover as a major improvement.   As stated in our website, any modification performed on our products will void the warranty.    Anthony DeMaria, Progressive Industries, Apex, NC   27539   919-267-6948 Ofc."

I do not know what the rain guard is.We  been using the EMT-PT  50C for 11 years.It has no rain guard.It hangs on the power pole in all kinds of weather.It has never had a problem 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

13 minutes ago, richfaa said:

I do not know what the rain guard is.We  been using the EMT-PT  50C for 11 years.It has no rain guard.It hangs on the power pole in all kinds of weather.It has never had a problem 

There were comments online about the rain guard being somewhat useless to almost useless, the rain guard breaking, mods to the rain guard to make it better, etc...... so I queried PI since I am looking to purchase one.  I don't know if it were an option on the C model, but the X model has a plastic cover, which PI feels is quite wonderful.   They do have a lifetime warranty, but who really wants to mail in their EMT and wait for the repair/return.   Then there are people that just hang a plastic bag over the entire box for weather and for the 'eyeballers'.  Good to hear you have had zero problems.

3 hours ago, mysticmd said:

As stated in our website, any modification performed on our products will void the warranty.    Anthony DeMaria, Progressive Industries, Apex, NC   27539   919-267-6948 Ofc.

PI was bought out by another company and things seem to be changing. For example, PI's once "bullet proof" unlimited warranty now has lots of provisos. See this recent RV.net thread.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I did not know PI had been bought out.I will do some research on the new company.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

15 hours ago, mysticmd said:

Then there are people that just hang a plastic bag over the entire box for weather and for the 'eyeballers'.

While I use the TRC-Surge Guard, I have done the plastic bag approach to the typical power pedestal for many years. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Anytime I want to protect an electrical device that's exposed to rain, years of experience has shown its best NOT to so completely seal it (like a very tight plastic cover or walmart bag etc) that it cant be allowed to breathe and ventilate in which case moisture and condensation might collect and gather remaining inside/under the bag "sweating".  Instead, I like to cover and protect (NOT super tight and sealed at bottom) the device so rain cant enter yet air flow allows moisture to escape so it doesn't set there with moisture clinging inside the bag for hours. A bag over the device or pedestal but NOT tied off and tightly sealed at the bottom works great.

Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to everyone here

John T

57 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

A bag over the device or pedestal but NOT tied off and tightly sealed at the bottom works great.

Just as I suggested? The only time most electric devices should ever be sealed is when they are subject to being submerged. Even most raincoats are open at the bottom.... 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

The only time most electric devices should ever be sealed is when they are subject to being submerged

That's exactly right Kirk !!!!!!!! Let the bag "breathe" and  be allowed to vent for the reasons I indicated UNLESS, of course, submerged ...........

Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving

PS Approximately haw far are you from Coleman Texas?? If I get there before I leave the State that may be the closest I get to your place to visit ???

John T

I can see our PT 50C out the window from our PC desk.It is hanging under the power box as it always  does .It is raining here in Florida.It is getting wet. It has been in heavy rain  over the years perhaps We have been pushing our luck over the past 11 years.

I have had 2 PT50C's for years (one primary and one as a backup) and in the fall of 2016  one of them saved me from a surge and one leg died in the process.  It was returned for warranty and replaced with a PT50X with the new socket cover.  I was then using my backup PT50C until March 2017 when I was involved is a massive thunderstorm with torrential rain and with the wind the rain was blowing almost horizontal into the face of my PT50C.  It worked for a few days after the rain and then died.  It was returned for warranty and it was reported to me that it got wet.  They replaced it with a PT50X also so I now have two of the new models.  The "C" model worked for me for years without getting wet, but this storm was a real "perfect storm" it seems.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Archived