Has this stunt happen to you ?

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for you guys. Has this stunt happen to you ? I went out to get fuel for the truck to top off the tanks. I was at the pumps putting fuel in the passenger side tank. I was all finished and went around the truck to get in the drivers side. To my surprise the door was locked. Went back around to the passenger side to try that door. Guess what, that door is also locked. The keys are in the ignition of coarse. The only good thing was I wasn't to far from home. One more thing. I did not have my phone with me. I was able to walk home ( about 3 miles). I got a ride back to my truck with my spare key. I get the truck home. Both doors are now unlocked. I was idling the truck because I needed to do something on the outside of the truck. With the truck running, guess what, you got it. It locked it's self again. The truck can be locked with a key fob or with the controls on the door.

Where do I start to look for this problem with the door locks ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

With my 06 VNL, I can remove the keys from the ignition, clip them to my belt after I start the truck.

I keep them on me whenever I am out of the truck, and I keep the truck locked at fuel stops.

Do not want to reenter my truck and find a thief or a  lot lizard taking up residence in the cab.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Well, this makes me glad I have one of those "older" trucks without electric door locks!  But my other way to prevent that happening, especially while fueling, is that I have a key, for my locking fuel caps, attached to my truck key.  The key will always be outside with me when fueling.

I hope you weren't at a the truck island when this happened.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Al,

You need to get rid of that truck asap, and get a gen1 without key fobs and security.

Just so happens, I one that would do just fine, and I'd be willing to take yours on trade, for a slight fee.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Mine locks itself all the time, you can hear them clicking away cheerfully as you walk away.Even got it in writing from Gregg when we bought it "always roll window down if left running or keys inside" (guessing problem was never correctable short of cutting the wire).I have since got a magnetic key holder ,also handy when my maintenance service needs to start it for work. 

Alan I'll tell you a funny story at the ECR about a skinny friend dropping in through the small top window.B)

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

On mine, if the truck is running, you can't lock the drivers door without using a key. Even if I use auto shutdown on a timer, I can use the fob or the door switch to lock the passenger lock but the drivers door requires a key. I only leave it running however if there is someone in the cab or I use the ignition timer and take the keys with me while the timer is counting down to shut down the engine. If the engine is off, the key fob works for both doors

Not worried about lot lizards or another person getting into the truck though, the two dogs take care of that issue.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Al,

You need to get rid of that truck asap, and get a gen1 without key fobs and security.

Just so happens, I one that would do just fine, and I'd be willing to take yours on trade, for a slight fee.

Hi Rick,

Don't make me laugh.   LOL !    I am thinking about pulling the fuse for the locks.

Al

1 hour ago, hone eagle said:

Mine locks itself all the time, you can hear them clicking away cheerfully as you walk away.Even got it in writing from Gregg when we bought it "always roll window down if left running or keys inside" (guessing problem was never correctable short of cutting the wire).I have since got a magnetic key holder ,also handy when my maintenance service needs to start it for work. 

Alan I'll tell you a funny story at the ECR about a skinny friend dropping in through the small top window.B)

Hi Ralph,

Sounds like that tail could make for a campfire story.  Can't wait to hear it. 

See you in the spring,
Al

I have electric door locks, they have never locked themselves, but I lock myself out of my running truck at least once or twice a month. I have a key hidden under the hood, spent a little time making a hanger that was effective but handy. I never have trusted the magnetic "Hide A Key" things. When they were a good quality US made product they were ok, but not now. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

My first truck was a '74 F-250.  One day I had the hood up at the shop, and a customer walked by.  He commented that I really should replace the upper radiator hose, rather than wrapping it with electrical tape.  I invited him to "feel" the apparent patch job.  It hid my spare key...........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Not exactly an HDT story :

A couple of nights   ago , we slept in Las Cruces , NM . Got up the next morning to our MH door wide open . I did lock it before we went to bed , but evidently it wasn't latched good . Nothing else wrong or out of place . We stepped outside for a smoke and coffee and closed the door as always . Oops , the lock was still set and we had no keys . Sad 
I got in through an unlocked window to save the day . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

As so many have stated, carry a key.  When we travel, we each have a truck key, and complete set for the camper, in our pockets.  It's been a tough sell to convince my bride to carry in her pocket, rather than in her purse.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Alan, I have one of those two part key rings that you can separate the two sides. The key goes in the ignition, but the fob stays with me. Unlike GH, my fob (and yours too, obviously) will lock both doors even if the ignition is on. That way if I leave it running I can still lock it. I learned to do this when the dog stepped on the lock and locked me out of the truck....in my own driveway. I was in the process of moving from one sticks and bricks to another at the time and the spare keys were all at the other house. I felt kind of stupid when the lady with my roadside assistance company asked "Sir, is your truck in a safe location"? "You mean safer than my own driveway"?

I have also done like some of the others (since my selling dealer gave me 5 keys) and that was to hide one way up under the truck where even I can't find it sometimes. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing some more thinking about this problem. When coming home from the nationals while driving thru St.Louis the drivers outside mirror decided to move on it's own. I first I thought I hit a pot hole and the mirror moved. I reset the mirror with my hand and about 10 minutes later it moved again. And guess what time of day it was starting to become. You got it. Rush hour started. The more I think, I should look at the controls on the drivers door. Also at the ECR'17 I could not get the drivers window down the following rain after a rain storm. There is a story that goes with the ECR'17. That is for another time. While is was backing in a camp spot it was pouring down rain. The window was down. There was plenty of rain on the controls. I think this is where the problems started. I need to pull the door apart to get to the controls out. For now I will keep an extra key in my pocket. The way I fixed the mirrors was to pull the fuse at the camp ground that I was going to on the way home. 

Please keep the ideas coming,
Al

Don't overthink this one Alan. Have you ever seen the Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner where he is the only one on the plane that witnesses a "Gremlin" ripping apart the wing and engine during flight? They take him off the plane in a straight jacket because no one believes his story.

I think about a 40 medium should be your size....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

The switch panel mounted on the drivers door is the “controller” for the power windows, power door locks, and the power mirrors. It is easy to change out. It just “snaps” out from the top of the door panel. Pop it out and get the part number off of it and order a replacement. It’s an easy part to get on-line  I replaced one for a passenger window that stopped working. 

22 hours ago, hone eagle said:

I can guess who that skinny friend was! 😎

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Don’t think a gen 1 truck can’t do this to ya! Oh yea it happens to me! There’s an issue inside the door locking mech that sometimes when door it closed it slips the lock in.  Once with no spare key nearby. 😳. Truck running. 👀

Pass side locked. Duh. 

Planning to tear into door but for now I just leave window open or unlock pass side ! 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

33 minutes ago, beyerjf said:

Don't overthink this one Alan. Have you ever seen the Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner where he is the only one on the plane that witnesses a "Gremlin" ripping apart the wing and engine during flight? They take him off the plane in a straight jacket because no one believes his story.

I think about a 40 medium should be your size....

Hi Jeff,

That Twilight Zone episode is one of my all time favorites. I remember when flying over Texas in a thunder storm when I pulled the stunt on my son. He didn't think I too funny. He just wanted to be out of the plane. He was 27 years old at that time. That was a great vacation that year.

Al

Archived