Why HDT + 5er vs Class A + Toad?

Lowmiler

22 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Don't want an argument but Smartcars a lot safer than lots of cars on the road. Sure, up against an HDT, no contest. But what car is? I hit a buck deer, 75 mph head on with my 2013 Smart. Not a scratch on me. Not sore, not nothing negative but car totaled. Had more air bags around me than I ever seen. Insurance stated air bag likely totaled, air bags totaled.

Glenn, I once had an idiot on a motorcycle try and tell me how unsafe a smart was. You will never convince the clueless crowd.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Glenn, I once had an idiot on a motorcycle try and tell me how unsafe a smart was. You will never convince the clueless crowd.

Yes, we are motorcyclists.  The smart falls somewhere between the bikes and Volvo on the safety scale.

I choose not to let all my decisions be guided by the "safe" factor.  Everything in life that is worth doing, has some element of risk.  Heck, I'm a farmer.  How many occupations are more dangerous?

Another factor in favor of the smart......it's a smaller target.  Less likely to be involved in the first place, cuz it can squeeze through that little hole to safety.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

So Lane Keeping is a Volvo option now? Is it column driven or gear driven?  Have you demo'd it?  Like it?  It is a fair amount different than current car lane keeping but I'm still trying to decide whether I think it should be or not.  Trucks have a trailer or three and a whole lot more lean to deal with, but it is also major enough that it seems any vehicle you get in should be exactly the same with no surprises.  I guess it'll all come together in time...

On 11/21/2017 at 12:00 PM, Lowmiler said:

Interesting. So since you've done both, what changed in your lifestyle that made the 5er better in the past and the MH better now?

Todd: we are not full timers so we travel, set up for a couple of weeks, move on and then back home. I think if we set up in one spot for more than three months a 5er would be a good option. 

We came to this realization this January when Rick had to set up and get the Jeep off the tuck in the rain near San Diego. Our knees were killing us from the weather and our cats and dog had enough of being transferred back and forth from the truck to the 5er over the few days of travel enroute to our stop. When we came home we immediately looked for and found our new home on wheels. (Atypical of our purchasing process - it was a 6 month research/study process for the HDT/5er.)

We bought an Entegra Anthem and it is surprisingly not like a bus. If it had not been for this model I don't know we would be perfectly satisfied, but boy, do I LOVE it!! Climbing in and out is a lot easier for me even though Rick built SWS --- Short Wife Steps --- for the truck on the passenger side. (Which I highly recommend!! I felt so much safer climbing in and out.) We no longer have to transfer cats in and out with fear of dropping them; they stay in one home on overnight stops now. The dog doesn't have to jump from high heights to get out or climb vertical steps to get in. I always feared one of her nails would get caught and rip in the steps.

What I miss about the HDT are the air ride seats and bigger fuel tanks (MH means more stops at the fuel pumps). Rick says he misses the mirrors and the power for hills. I don't miss watching Rick reversing the Jeep off the back of the HDT. I don't miss having to guide the pin of the trailer onto the hitch in the heat, cold or rain.... honestly, it's easy enough to do, it's just now I don't have to do it and I like that!!

Like Phil said about the driver cockpit of an MH, we also didn't like the idea fearing we wouldn't have separation from driving and relaxing. Honestly, there has been no problem. We turn the captain chairs around to face the living room and they become our cat chairs. :) The one thing I miss in the 5er is the height of the ceilings. I love tall ceilings even though I'm short, lol. Other than that, I sure don't miss the steps leading to the bathroom, or the small stool closet. Of course, depending on the MH there may still be that issue. 

I was comfortable driving the HDT (three pedal auto-shift), but I prefer driving the MH more. Rick says it's because the steering wheel is tighter. And I do miss waving at HDT drivers and being the center of the attention at a campground. :D Just kidding on that last one, but I really did like giving a two-finger wave and talking to drivers who liked our set up.

In the end, I am really glad we went the route of the HDT and 5er - it was the best option for us at the time. We both enjoyed that lifestyle and because of it I've made lifelong friends via the Rallies. Heck, even Jack likes me!! 

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

On 11/29/2017 at 11:48 AM, Off2YNP said:

In the end, I am really glad we went the route of the HDT and 5er - it was the best option for us at the time. We both enjoyed that lifestyle and because of it I've made lifelong friends via the Rallies. Heck, even Jack likes me!! 

Are you sure about that???  ;)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

59 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Are you sure about that???  ;)

Damn!!! That's harsh :) . If it helps Alicia, we all like you... Daisy even likes the cat. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

A few of my friends changed from HDT  + 5th to Class A over the year.  

It may have to do with age, climbing in an HDT will get harder at a certain point in our lives. Hitching process on a big 5th at least for me required some climbing on the truck deck to complete the job. Then back up a trailer required more skill than a Class A with the toad unhook. 

Just my opinion on the topic.

Volvo VNL610 M11+ 98 10 speed
Mountain Aire 40' 5th 2002
Outback Power, 1200 watts Sanyo panels

I think it's an apples to oranges comparison. For our travels we often have friends or family travel with us. Motorhome is the only way to go for that. So, what's the most powerful motorhome? A "Truck Conversion Motorhome" of course. Think HDT with a living quarters box on  it. 

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

20 minutes ago, Bob86ZZ4 said:

I think it's an apples to oranges comparison. For our travels we often have friends or family travel with us. Motorhome is the only way to go for that. So, what's the most powerful motorhome? A "Truck Conversion Motorhome" of course. Think HDT with a living quarters box on  it. 

I do believe you have the best of both worlds there. Sorta like cake and eat it too

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived