Torque Multiplier

dennisvr

I had seen in the past where one of these were posted for.$110.00.  I found this one for $54.00 and thought it would be cheap insurance if I was out somewhere with no cell service.  I got it and tried it on one of the lugs nuts on the rear of my truck and it works fine.  
My thinking is if I have a bad tire I can single it out and put the off tire in my toy hauler and be on my way.  (hopefully its an outside)
https://www.houzz.com/product/87135291-homcom-heavy-duty-torque-multiplier-socket-lugnut-remover-wrench-contemporary-hand-tools-and-tool-sets

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I bought one also for the same reason.  We sat for many hours waiting for some one to remove the lug nuts. I did buy the more expensive tool as some of the reviews were not good on the cheaper unit. I was afraid of getting all but one lug nut lose and having the cheaper tool fail.  It is great piece of mind to know that at least you can single out the duals or put a rear on the front to somewhere to get the tire fixed.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Does it work to reinstall the lugnuts too? I was afraid that I would twist the stud off with it.

I have been thinking of buying one as well. Even considered buying a set of irons to change a tire if needed. It seems that a "cheetah" tank would be a good idea as well.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

It looks to have the same specs as others on this tool.  Hope that is not just a copy of print.  Even the so called manufacturer seems to be another online retailer.

On edit.    There is a duplicate for same price on Amazon, with free shipping under prime.  Better return policy.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

27 minutes ago, maveric said:

Does it work to reinstall the lugnuts too? I was afraid that I would twist the stud off with it.

I have been thinking of buying one as well. Even considered buying a set of irons to change a tire if needed. It seems that a "cheetah" tank would be a good idea as well.

Yes it puts them on also, just turn it the opposite way.  
I don't think I will get tire hammer, bars and cheetah tank.  This tool should be enough to get me to a repair shop where I usually travel.
Now that I bought it, I will probably never have to use it, but I need more weight on my truck so it helps.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

8 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

It looks to have the same specs as others on this tool.  Hope that is not just a copy of print.  Even the so called manufacturer seems to be another online retailer.

They are pretty proud that its made in China.  I think I seen at least 3 tags that stated that it was.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

3 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

Yes it puts them on also, just turn it the opposite way.  
I don't think I will get tire hammer, bars and cheetah tank.  This tool should be enough to get me to a repair shop where I usually travel.
Now that I bought it, I will probably never have to use it, but I need more weight on my truck so it helps.

I have one.  Used once and it works ok but will definitely give your arm a workout with the number of turns you have to make.  It did bust the nut loose though.  Cheap insurance.  Anyone wants to try mine at any of the rallies just let me know.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

20 minutes ago, Yarome said:

How does this one compare to the one in the OP?

Rocky- Do you have a link to the one you mentioned? I prefer Amazon when I can too. Additional 5% off, prime shipping, a snap to change shipping address and not to mention the no hassle return/replacement policy. 

I looks somewhat the same, except the one I got only came with 4 sockets.  Those were enough for me, the 33mm for my lug notes and a 1"1/2" and a square for Bud lug nuts.

Edit, I see the one you posted comes with a 1' to 3/4" adaptor.  That would come in handy.  Loosen the nut with this then buzz them off with a impact.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

This is the one I bought.  Just got it and haven't even opened the box yet to look at it.  All I can say so far is it is very HEAVY. ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

3 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

This is the one I bought.  Just got it and haven't even opened the box yet to look at it.  All I can say so far is it is very HEAVY. ;)

Yea it is heavy, but I need more weight on my drivers anyway.  My truck just seen and patch of grass the other day and started spinning the tires.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

27 minutes ago, Yarome said:

How does this one compare to the one in the OP?

Rocky- Do you have a link to the one you mentioned? I prefer Amazon when I can too. Additional 5% off, prime shipping, a snap to change shipping address and not to mention the no hassle return/replacement policy. 

Yarome.  This should be the link.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

38 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

Edit, I see the one you posted comes with a 1' to 3/4" adaptor.  That would come in handy.  Loosen the nut with this then buzz them off with a impact.

True. The one thing I can't seem to find on the HomCom is the max. torque output. The Zeny says 3540 ft/lb but I'm not at all familiar with either brand and reviews on the Zeny are very limited.

I would ditch the sockets I wouldn't use.. and the adaptor might be nice, but I don't know about 10 bones worth of nice. ;)

17 hours ago, hone eagle said:

Kevin and I used suitesuccess 's at the ecr a few years ago ,works fine but a two man job ,we had to spell each other or there would of been two coronary'sB)

I think I will just keep my big impacts on the truck, I'm getting too old to lift a torque multiplier. I remember you and Kevin working on the front suspension that year but I had a few issues on my truck at the same time and I didn't have the setup that I do now.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, hone eagle said:

Not the weight of it but the hundreds of revolutions at a fairly heavy resistance, we were panting if we did two in a row.

How about an adapter to run it off a smaller impact.  A 400ftlb removal torque would spin it once it's broke loose.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, HERO Maker said:

Interesting!  Just ran across this one on Amazon and it looks like we have a bunch of copies out there now!  Not sure of quality, but the price is getting lower.

Got to watch the shipping cost.  I paid about $50 for mine with free shipping which is about what this one is.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

1 hour ago, beemergary said:

Three foot pipe and my 180 lbs. works just fine

Not enough weight to break my lug nuts loose.  That's why we're talking about the multipliers.

http://www.calculatoredge.com/new/torque.htm

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I don't carry a toque multiplier but I do carry a 3/4 " breaker bar with a pipe that will break a lug loose. I also carry a 600 ft lb torque wrench. If I call a service truck or do it myself I'll be sure it's torqued right. I got the torque wrench at Cash converters. Talk to pawn shops and let them know what you are  looking for. Most will be very helpful. .Pat

The Old Sailor  

Pat,

I’m with you on the torque wrench.  I also have a 600 ft/ lb wrench that wife pointed out to me several years ago on an Amazon “lightning” deal.  Wanna say it was couple of hundred bucks and is KD Tools or something like that.  I know it won’t be as accurate as a Snap On or high dollar wrench but it works fine.  If my memory is correct Rickeieio knows the owner of KD.  I use it couple of times a year to check truck torque especially when I break out of winter storage or if tire has been off.  I can give personal witness to fact another forum member was having his wheels polished and two lug nuts could be unscrewed with fingers before anything was done.  As always, anyone wanting to use it when I’m around is welcome.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

You might be surprised at how tight wheel nuts may be.  I had a 6' pipe on a 1" breaker bar and couldn't break the nuts loose on my Mack, with my considerable bulk bouncing on the end.  It took careful application of heat to remove them.

Yes, one of my riding friends, was the "D" in K-D tools.  He's since sold out, retired, and started another business.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived