11 hours ago, mysticmd said:

Dartmouth:  I'll check into all your items -with all my grill shopping, never ran across the Volcano.  Husband has been talking about getting me the drone- perhaps it is an 'us' toy.  Friend in Colorado just was given one as neighbor moved away, so I'm getting some nice interesting aerial shots now.   As far as his interests, he LOVES tools, he is not techy to the point where he 'has to have' or will run out for the newest fandangle item; I think he enjoys useful over fun.(You guys have given me lots of great ideas already)  His one huge passion is motorcycling racing - SV600, R6.  I don't want to tell you how many street bikes are in our barn that have to be sold before we can go fulltime.  I hop on the back of an ST1300 Honda for touring now, although he figures when we go full time, a Gold Wing should go in the toyhauler. I've bought him the GoPro ,  warmers, EZups,  helmet, racing gloves, the electric heated clothing for touring.  He's looking at the air bag suits now but he is on his own there ($3K and up).  He does not want the Bluetooth head sets - he does not want to hear my commentary about some flowerbed we just passed; exclaiming over a Freightliner would be fine, tho.

Drones: I recommend the DJI Mavic (Pro or Platinum) if you like longer range flights, or the DJI Spark if you are looking for a capable craft with a small footprint for closer quarters shooting.  With the holidays, there are some definite attractive pricing for both models.

Motorcycling:  You are talking my jam now.  We full-time in our toyhauler and my wife and I bring our  street legal dualsport motorcycles with us.  I'm prefer dirt over road, but as for bike-RV related stuff, I would look at ways to haul (I have the Bolt It On system, which is the opposite of bolted in, rather it is a quick removal no drill solution), GPS's, or even the traditional (or online) Butler maps series (to go along with the idea of travelling with the bike(s)!)  How about air compressors?  I have a Ryobi battery air compressor specifically for the bikes, since it is small and quick to use.  I also have a compact 1.2gallon hotdog compressor (Craftsman Airboss) that serves as my light air tool and high pressure air 120V source.  I also keep a Viair 88P 12V compressor in the truck for when I don't have access to 120V power.  You could also get a lightweight but heavy duty motorcycle lift if he will be doing motorcycle maintenance while on the road.  I currently carry a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift in the bed of the truck, but if I could find a capable aluminum version, I'd be all over that.   There are alot of other cool moto specific tools that I'm sure I will think about and post again about.  

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Dartmouth.  I do get disappointed so frequently in our "Customer Services".    Young girls trying to fake their way through tech positions - I get that at the RV manufacturers when I need specific info. Or just incompetents put in positions to interface with consumers.     I like honestly - ie, "I don't know, but I will get someone who does".  I think this is one of the gifts mentioned that husband will truly appreciate.  I'm still going to get the EMT and the shower head and not sure what else.  The water softeners I think will take some sit-down discussions on our part, so will come in the future.  I like the idea of the propane gauge also.  Lots of good ideas here, so if not bought for Christmas, other occasions.    Thank you, everyone!

DARTMOUTH:   just saw your other post of , again, many great ideas.  He's been in to motorcycles since he was a teenager so has a lot; I got a a 5 gal. compressor a few years ago for the quick shot in the pits.  Yea, I'm his pit crew most times.  I need to renew our fire extinguishers, I believe, which are mandatory in the pits by the hot lane (10#), he does have a lift, but I see him always looking at others - mostly because he works on multiple bikes at once.  He already has his system set up in this fifth wheel, but I think full-time we will be going into some other toy hauler.  He would love for me to have gotten my motorcycle license, but I just love sitting on the back and relaxing/looking.   Anyway, you've given me lots of surfng material from your various posts.   Want to check out that volcano, also.   Regards, and safe biking!

16 hours ago, mysticmd said:

Well, called RiffRaff - got silence for a while before a young girl answered, I told her what I wanted -- silence.

Sorry to hear that. It's been a couple of years since I've had any dealings with them and businesses do change. Lot of places carry the AE though and I'm sure there are any number of specialty performance diesel outfits out there that would be happy to answer your questions and accept your money. As far as having it connected all the time, I know that some folks do. I don't particularly see the need or like the idea of hardwiring a laptop into the cab like that, but to each their own. I also don't know all that much about a BullyDog. I would imagine it must have at least some rudimentary diagnositcs capability in order to monitor the performance alterations. It's not really in my wheelhouse though so that is purely speculation on my part.

Drones- I would agree with a Mavic if space savings is the biggest concern. The Spark... I would not. It's really not much more than a glorified "selfie" camera. Where the mavic shines is mainly in size and a few advanced features in obstacle avoidance, although, many would agree that it's much less than foolproof. They have been pumping them out so fast that QC issues have been plentiful (a fellow droner friend is on mavic #3). Compared to some of the other platforms the video quality and processing capability leaves a bit to be desired, but for casual "home" shots it does a decent job. It's most noticeable as pixilation when taking video while cruising or when filming moving elements. The processor and algorithms are not as robust as some of the other DJI platforms.

Flight characteristics on the Mavic are more stable than it might appear capable of, but it is still more susceptible to wind sheer than some other platforms. If you're flying through uneven terrain where you may catch some slight wind funneling the mavic will burn through a battery faster than others. Higher general wind speeds have the same affect. It'll manage, but it will work harder doing it.

If I were looking at a good solid, highly capable "entry" drone... considering cost to performance, stability (both flight and control software), video quality, etc. I would be looking at a Phantom 3 Advanced or a Phantom 3 Professional as a second choice. The main difference being a 2.7K camera (UHD) vs. a 4K camera (Cinematic). Both cameras shoot 12MP photos. The advanced would have the edge though in terms of more affordable parts and accessories available on the market. Because they have been flying for so long the online knowledge base and modification options are VAST with the P3 series.

The main argument for going with a Phantom 4 is "marginal", IMHO. The main difference being cruising speed and the addition of 2 more cameras for the obstacle avoidance feature. I kind of look at that the same as self breaking cars. If you're paying attention to what you're doing it's a feature you'll never use... and unlike a car... if you crash your drone you're not going to kill anyone anyway. ;)

One big issue for me with the Mavic is monitor size. My eyes aren't what the used to be. On the flip side, the phantom series controllers are "very" monitor friendly. I often use an Ipad Air 2 which is quite large, yet fits conveniently onto the controller. For a quick "grab and go" flight I'll use a galaxy S7 edge smartphone... which is still too large to fit on a Mavic controller without special adapters and is quite awkward.

Not that I don't use my mavic. I often use a drone to scout boondocking areas. For that, real time usable video is a must and the mavic just doesn't cut it. For leisure flying.. just visually exploring an area for fun... the mavic has a faster cruising speed and will cover more ground. It's more of a post flight video thing though... for me.

Price wise... you're probably looking at ~$600 for a P3 adv/pro vs ~$1k entry for a mavic. A lightly used P3A/P can be had for ~$450ish. I will say though... no matter the model... stick with a DJI. 

If you're interested, here is a 4 min youtube showing non-professional raw footage from a P3 Adv and P3 Pro. See if you can tell a difference. Or for those wintering in AZ this year... Coal Mine Canyon filmed with a P3 Adv (2.7k). That couple travel all over and take some amazing drone shots. His other videos are a mix between his 2.7K and 4K cameras.

4 hours ago, Yarome said:

Yarome:  Read, a few times, your advice on drones, and will admit some of it is deeper than I have gone .... which tells me since this would be an 'us toy' that , like the water softener, we probably need to talk and make a joint decision.  Your information and input becomes invaluable..... because you just don't know what you don't know!     First off, I need to get through Thanksgiving.   Then I will start focusing one item at a time.   Time will start flying now to Christmas.  I appreciate you taking the time writing all you did in detail with links, etc.    Happy Thanksgiving!

On 11/20/2017 at 8:21 AM, Yarome said:

If you're lookingT something that any man would love, but may not necessarily buy for himself....

A really good water pressure regulator such as those from the RV Water Filter Store. And you could always use a high-quality water filter system for an RV, from that same source. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

A really good water pressure reg

Hi Kirk - you know, I don't know what we have...perhaps a cheapo?!; I had given him just the Watts water pressure gauge - I'll go 'fishing' in our water supply box.  I did buy various lengths of their water hose from the RV Water Filter Store.    Thank you for your thoughts. Mary

A set of Westin running boards for the dually, they are made from stainless steel polished to look like chrome. They have a lifetime warranty. I put a set on my dually, and when I traded it in they added to the value by about the same amount they cost.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Well... That's what we get paid the "big bucks" for. Advice is free and worth half the price in any market economy. ;)

Happy Turkey day to you and yours.

Just between you, me and fighting over the last piece of pumpkin pie... a decent pressure regulator is something you will use daily and a stocking stuffer well appreciate.

6 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

A set of Westin running boards for the dually, they are made from stainless steel

Hi Ray - I just did an e-mail query to Westin for husban'd model, I was looking for wheel-to-wheel to get into the 8 ft bed.   We ditched the tailgate and have the fifth wheel tool box across the back- which makes it more awkward to climb in the bed.  I recall he was looking some months back at boards, got to the dealer but they weren't even close even though they said they had something to fit, grrrr.   Thank you.

5 hours ago, mysticmd said:

Hi Ray - I just did an e-mail query to Westin for husban'd model, I was looking for wheel-to-wheel to get into the 8 ft bed.   We ditched the tailgate and have the fifth wheel tool box across the back- which makes it more awkward to climb in the bed.  I recall he was looking some months back at boards, got to the dealer but they weren't even close even though they said they had something to fit, grrrr.   Thank you.

Something my husband loves for help getting into the back of the truck bed is a folding step that hooks onto the rear tire. It’s adjustable for different heights. He uses it every time we hitch or unhitch the fifth wheel. 

Hitchmate - TireStep from Amazon

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

On 11/22/2017 at 4:57 PM, mysticmd said:

Hi Kirk - you know, I don't know what we have...perhaps a cheapo?!; I had given him just the Watts water pressure gauge - I'll go 'fishing' in our water supply box.  I did buy various lengths of their water hose from the RV Water Filter Store.    Thank you for your thoughts. Mary

Which model Watts regulator do you have now ? It's likely all you'll need . Watts has a very good reputation ... quality . 

Goes around , comes around .

Yarome:   Re: Your suggestion for the AE w/ Ford Bundle.   I posted on RiffRaff and a knowlegeable person replied as follows when I asked about running performance diagnostics w/ SP03 when the BullyDog has to be disconnected at the OBD1: 

No problem, happy to help. The bully dog is a
Programmer so even when you disconnect it is still tuned. So you can use the SP03 to diagnose without an issue.

I'm not sure if others were interested in this, so posted here-Mary

1 hour ago, mysticmd said:

I'm not sure if others were interested in this, so posted here-Mary

That's pretty much what I had assumed. I know plenty of folks that own and use both, but not having used a programmer myself I didn't know if there were any other factors to consider. Sounds good and appreciate you following on the forum. Thank you!

On 11/20/2017 at 5:01 AM, mysticmd said:

Hello Escapee Friends,

I'm asking the men what RV items might be on your Christmas Wish List?  I'm trying to get ideas (under $500) that might appeal to the male RV (fifth wheel + F350 dually) owner.  One item I'm already considering is the Progressive Industries EMS PT50X - surge protector..... but how excited would you get over that ?!!!!     

Ladies:  If you have given an RV-related gift that was well received and would like to share, please do.    Thank you

mysticmd:

I don't know whether it quite squeezes in under your parameters, but I would really like a new NEWMAR King Aire.  Or maybe a new 2017 would be alright.  Tell Santa that I have been pretty good this year and I would be EVEN BETTER if I got this wish!

PS:  I don't want the bill that comes with it.  Please.  :D

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

4 hours ago, Mike and Claudia said:

I would really like a new NEWMAR King Aire.  Or maybe a new 2017 would be alright.  Tell Santa that I have been pretty good this year and I would be EVEN BETTER if I got this wish

Dear Mike, I believe I heard Mrs. Claus emitting her own "Ho Ho Ho" with she glee because she has exactly the same wish.  Over the years, Santa's budget has taken some hard hits, but he'll be out there looking for that deal for you, so stay hopeful, you never know when it just might happen for you both.  Dreams come true.

If you sometimes help the Hubby back into a spot then I might suggest the Eartec UL2S Ultralite wireless microphone system. It full duplex two way hands free communication with great sound quality and good service from the makers.

A good torque wrench is always nice. CDI 2503MFRMH 1/2" drive 30-250# range if you have a 5th wheel it makes checking the tightness of the lug nuts easy. If you have a MH, he'll need a bigger one - more than $500.

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

On 11/23/2017 at 10:32 PM, Pat & Pete said:

Which model Watts regulator do you have now ? It's likely all you'll need . Watts has a very good reputation ... quality . 

That's the ones that were recommended to me and I'll x2 it also. Works great.

On 11/22/2017 at 7:12 AM, mysticmd said:

Thank you Dartmouth.  <snip> I like the idea of the propane gauge also.  Lots of good ideas here, so if not bought for Christmas, other occasions.    Thank you, everyone!

I sure like the idea of propane gauge but everyone is out of them it seems.

I'm actually going to add something to this list myself.... but something that was discussed in a previous forum, which is the Extend & Climb Ladder...

https://www.amazon.com/Xtend-Climb-785P-Telescoping-Professional/dp/B000JIL4Z8/ref=cm_wl_huc_item                                            Has anyone had any problems with the locking mechanisms on the rungs now that you've had them a bit?

Masterdrago - picked up your msgs from yesterday - thank you, I'll look.   I wish I could visually ID a 1/2" drive w/specific torque ---ahem; he has big roll-around tool boxes all over house, barn, tool boxes in every vehicle - and yes, he loves shiny, chromed items.   One year he bought me a big roll-around and has been filling it - !!!

3 hours ago, mysticmd said:

I'm actually going to add something to this list myself.... but something that was discussed in a previous forum, which is the Extend & Climb Ladder...

https://www.amazon.com/Xtend-Climb-785P-Telescoping-Professional/dp/B000JIL4Z8/ref=cm_wl_huc_item                                            Has anyone had any problems with the locking mechanisms on the rungs now that you've had them a bit?

Masterdrago - picked up your msgs from yesterday - thank you, I'll look.   I wish I could visually ID a 1/2" drive w/specific torque ---ahem; he has big roll-around tool boxes all over house, barn, tool boxes in every vehicle - and yes, he loves shiny, chromed items.   One year he bought me a big roll-around and has been filling it - !!!

There's one outside the neighbors rig that won't collapse the last two sections . They say they've tried all possible solutions .

18 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

There's one outside the neighbors rig that won't collapse the last two sections . They say they've tried all possible solutions .

I did read in the reviews that once these telescoping ladders get grit in the mechanism they are scrap metal.   Most reviewers don't go back to a product and update after extended use and potential problem so the commentary of problems was comparably few compared to the four- and five-star reviews.

7 hours ago, mysticmd said:

I did read in the reviews that once these telescoping ladders get grit in the mechanism they are scrap metal.   Most reviewers don't go back to a product and update after extended use and potential problem so the commentary of problems was comparably few compared to the four- and five-star reviews.

I haven't seen it in a day or so . I'll talk to them and see if they ever found a solution or not . 

Archived