Hello Escapee Friends,

I'm asking the men what RV items might be on your Christmas Wish List?  I'm trying to get ideas (under $500) that might appeal to the male RV (fifth wheel + F350 dually) owner.  One item I'm already considering is the Progressive Industries EMS PT50X - surge protector..... but how excited would you get over that ?!!!!     

Ladies:  If you have given an RV-related gift that was well received and would like to share, please do.    Thank you

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's much more than just a surge protector. It's a full on EMS and an excellent gift any man would want for ANY style RV. Of course, that's something a guy would buy for his rig anyway.  For a gift for him... that's as much for you... and overall health of your rigs power systems that you will USE... it's a great choice. Excellent product and outstanding customer service company.

If you're looking for something that any man would love, but may not necessarily buy for himself....

1. AutoEnginuity Scantool with the Ford enhanced bundle. Keep your TV running right and quickly diagnose DIY repairs without the expense and down time at the repair shop. It will pay for itself.

2. Truma Levelcheck LP level detector to check tanks quick and easy.

3. If you don't already have one, a decent RV showerhead. Either an Oxygenics or, my preference, an EcoCamel Jetstorm Plus.

4. A Weber Q gas grill. Throw in a low pressure quick connect kit appropriate for whatever style of LP tanks you have for a winning combo.

To name just a few.

57 minutes ago, rdickinson said:

Having a surge protector is a no brainer.

Yea, and we don't have a surge protector, duh.  I don't know about the campgrounds we frequent, but the racetrack campgrounds have GOT to be the worst -- not enough electrical stanchions and everybody running overloads of equipment, lighting, RVs.  Over the years motorcycle racing has become so much more high tech and where it was rare for an RV as most guys used their motorcycle trailer to sleep in a sleeping bag with a cooler and a one-pot burner, RV toyhaulers are the norm - and these racetracks have never upgraded their electrics.  Breakers always popping.  I don't see those Progressive EMSs discounted much any place, will just have to bite the bullet on that - and he had better act excited!!! lol

And, Yarome, thank you for those thoughts and list - some items I have never heard of, so will check it all out.  Our current shower head is by "Is The Water On Yet?"

Perhaps this thread will help others with Christmas gift ideas.      Thank you! - Mary

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Alie and Jim - we're not there yet - not full time, but it seems a softener wld be really nice, and the house has one.    I think I will be able to save some of these ideas for Valentine's Day, too - since it seems to sneak up so suddenly after Christmas.    Will look at your link, thank you.

38 minutes ago, mysticmd said:

I don't see those Progressive EMSs discounted much any place

Quite true. Amazon actually has one right now for $336.95. Down off the $350 price, but you can't get to it through a normal search. That's about as low as I've seen them go without some type of limited time sale. That's the lowest price through Amazon in the past month anyway.

1 hour ago, Yarome said:

for $336.95. Down off the $350 price, but you can't get to it through a normal

The  $336 has $25 tax for me, bah humbug. Puts me right up there again.

Yarome:  On the Jetstorm - do you advise using their hose, what we have now happens to be relatively flexible and long but I like the look of the showerhead ?

6 minutes ago, mysticmd said:

Yarome:  On the Jetstorm - do you advise using their hose, what we have now happens to be relatively flexible and long but I like the look of the showerhead ?

I like their hose over the Oxygenics, which I preferred over my stock hose (plain plastic), but my hose came free with the showerhead. If I was paying for it I would have just lived with the Oxygenics. After all.. it's just a simple hose that's easity replaceable. If the one you have is one of those non-kink real flexible wrapped types.. and you're happy with it.. I would stick with what you've got.

The showerhead is AWESOME! I did a bit of a review on it in another thread just right about 2 years ago. Nothing's changed and still loving it.

Yarome, if you are still out there..... 1. AutoEnginuity Scantool

He's got the 7.3 diesel Powerstroke.  And he added the BullyDog - which I believe is totally dif. from this diagnostic tool.   Can you tell me - is this a device that needs to be installed and it becomes a fixture, or do you just hook it up (where?) for diagnostics?   And, do you have personal experience with this?   Read the reviews, sounds encouraging/helpful.

17 minutes ago, mysticmd said:

He's got the 7.3 diesel Powerstroke.  And he added the BullyDog - which I believe is totally dif. from this diagnostic tool.   Can you tell me - is this a device that needs to be installed and it becomes a fixture, or do you just hook it up (where?) for diagnostics?   And, do you have personal experience with this?   Read the reviews, sounds encouraging/helpful.

Yes, it is different. The BullyDog is a programmer/tuner that allows him to make adjustments to various component setting. The Scantool is strictly a diagnostic and monitoring device. With the Ford bundle he would be able to read and monitor every sensor and module in his rig. 

It's not a permanent fixture. It plugs into the OBDII port while in use and then disconnected. The Bullydog also uses the OBDII port, but what I DON'T know is if has to be plugged in at all times in order to maintain the settings or just during programming and is then left for the dash module to monitor the system., but may be disconnected for diagnostics. I've never used a tuner before. I'm sure someone around here knows, but the BEST answer might be to talk to RiffRaff Diesel. If you shot them a call and explained what your husband has in his rig they would be able to answer any questions definitively.

What I "am" quite sure of though is that there is a way to accomplish it. I wouldn't think anyone would make a programmer/tuner that would completely negate the ability to use a diagnostic device.

Practical experience with it? Absolutely! I have the exact same device with Ford bundle and use it in all of my rigs regularly. It will actually read any Ford vehicle (as well as basic code reading and diagnostics on non Ford vehicles).. not just trucks. I use mine in all of my rigs, regularly. 1 F-150 gasser, 2 F-250 diesels and 1 F350 diesel. It's saved me "many" times over it's price tag. What's so nice about having your own is that you can run it as often as you want and pick up a lot of preventative stuff or "emerging issues" that can be dealt with before it actually becomes something that leaves you dead on the side of the road... or finding out yourself that you only need a $15 part for a 30 min DIY job that would have cost you $300+ and two days of down time in an auto shop.

If he doesn't have a good multi meter, I would suggest a Fluke 87V. They are very useful not only around the house but tracking down issues on any vehicle from TPS to O2 sensors, checking pinouts, etc. as well as RV wiring issues. Not that anyone ever has those.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

7 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

If he doesn't have a good multi meter, I would suggest a Fluke 87V. They are very useful not only around the house but tracking down issues on any vehicle from TPS to O2 sensors, checking pinouts, etc. as well as RV wiring issues. Not that anyone ever has those.

X 2 on the Fluke. My cheap multimeter konked out at an inconvenient time this summer. An electrician that helped me out recommended a Fluke T5-1000. Just received mine last week, great meter, really user friendly and seems pretty tough . A bit pricy ($144) but well worth it.

Two things I really like about it: it reads either AC voltage or DC voltage with the same setting on the meter and it is built so one probe can be fixed to the meter, so you do not need three hands to hold the meter and two probes.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Georgia and Dennis:   Thank you.  I know he has some sort of multimeter, will have to find it and figure out how to query him on functionality etc.  You are all giving me great ideas.  This last Valentine's Day he swore he didn't want anything.   So he needed some 'under garments' so I got him an assortment of stuff and gave it to him with a card from the dogs.  He was in the living room unwrapping the items and he is yelling   Underwear!   You got me UNDERWEAR!        Yup.

You have to love this:  I had the Progressive Industries EMT in  My Cart on Amazon; while I was still shopping they jacked it up $5 - not the first time they have pulled that.  If at all possible, I will DELETE.  I hope they recognize my shopping habits are such that if they jack the price up while I'm shopping, I'm not going to buy it.

28 minutes ago, mysticmd said:

I will call RiffRaff and I'll use your verbiage ...

In not so many words you could just say, "My husband has a BullyDog in his F-350 PSD. I'm thinking about getting him the AE Ford bundle. Is that doable? Any conflicts at the OBD port?"

That'll set em off and tell you more than you ever wanted to know. ;)

Goes around , comes around .

I was just looking around the rig thinking, "what's something a bit out of the ordinary that I really love having?". I found one. ;)

Depending on what kind of LP tanks you have, these Tailgater LP tank straps are "really" nifty. Especially if you're off the beaten path a bit on uneven roads. Fairly reasonable and would make dandy stocking stuffers.

Of course, if he doesn't already have one, I don't know too many folks that don't like their zero gravity chairs. Note that the one in the link is for the oversized. About 5" wider than standard and holds up to 330 pounds. You don't have to be an "oversized" person to appreciate a little extra wiggle room. Looks like if you follow the lower link and you're not adverse to amazon warehouse deals they have one "used-good" for $38.98 w/prime shipping. With 30-day no hassle returns, whataya got to loose.

No brainer was not meant as a slam.  Meant  as an easy decision to make.

There are still  lots who don't know about these  devices and what they do.

Tampa RV show discounts them and also check the For Sale section of this forum.  I got my second 50 amp unit for 100$ from a gent in Florida.  Paid him right away and picked it up on the way thru 3 months later.

The surge protector is important, but you are right, not sure how "heart pounding" it is.  

I have a DJI Mavic drone.  Not necessarily RV related, but super fun to bring with me in the RV, very portable and packed with tech.   I fulltime, so space is very important.

If you are looking for truck tech, my favorite accessory by far is the Edge CTS2.  It is a diagnostic tool as well as digital gauge set.  Extremely important to me to know how the truck is performing, especially when towing.  I have a tuner as well, but it does not have any gauge info, and after I upload the tune profile I put it away.  I'm guessing it is like the Bullydog he has already.

https://edgeproducts.com/shop/insight-cts2

As for camping accessories, I love my Camp Chef portable firepit.  It lets us have a camping ambience even when there are wood fire bans.  If I could do it again though, I'd get this Volcano pit :  https://www.amazon.com/Volcano-Grills-3-Fuel-Portable-Camping/dp/B000FDKXN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511245194&sr=8-1&keywords=volcano+fire+pit

Also on my wishlist is a Clam Quick Set Traveller.  It is a very quick set up screen tent.  I think it would be useful for regular camping, but it is small enough to fit on my toyhauler ramp, so it would even be more useful.

If you can tell us a little more about what he's like (techy, non techy, loves tools, hobbies related to rving like fishing, motorcycling, etc), I'm sure it'll help us narrow down suggestions.

7 hours ago, bipeflier said:

Fuel.  To enjoy what you already have.

Ahhhhh...... I never stop hearing about the year I wanted to tour Nova Scotia, so we did.... and the diesel was $5/gal (USD) and seems she was a'guzzlin ' that trip.

Dartmouth:  I'll check into all your items -with all my grill shopping, never ran across the Volcano.  Husband has been talking about getting me the drone- perhaps it is an 'us' toy.  Friend in Colorado just was given one as neighbor moved away, so I'm getting some nice interesting aerial shots now.   As far as his interests, he LOVES tools, he is not techy to the point where he 'has to have' or will run out for the newest fandangle item; I think he enjoys useful over fun.(You guys have given me lots of great ideas already)  His one huge passion is motorcycling racing - SV600, R6.  I don't want to tell you how many street bikes are in our barn that have to be sold before we can go fulltime.  I hop on the back of an ST1300 Honda for touring now, although he figures when we go full time, a Gold Wing should go in the toyhauler. I've bought him the GoPro ,  warmers, EZups,  helmet, racing gloves, the electric heated clothing for touring.  He's looking at the air bag suits now but he is on his own there ($3K and up).  He does not want the Bluetooth head sets - he does not want to hear my commentary about some flowerbed we just passed; exclaiming over a Freightliner would be fine, tho.

RDickinson:  Did not take it as a slam, I just know we should have one, bothers me a bit we don't. (EMT)

Yarome: Will continue to look at your items; lots of armchair shopping to do. Stuffers are good, too.  He does like to rip open gifts!   I'll be calling RiffRaff today, so will let you know about compatibility FYI. Thanks for the 'statement' to them.

I guess this thread might turn into a good avenue to post what you all are wishing for- in case the wife/girlfriend is reading!

Again, can't thank all the thinkers here enough for contributing , explaining, giving links, etc.

22 hours ago, Yarome said:

BullyDog in his F-350 PSD. I'm thinking about getting him the AE Ford bundle. Is that doable? Any conflicts at the OBD port?"

Well, called RiffRaff - got silence for a while before a young girl answered, I told her what I wanted -- silence.  I asked if she could help me.   "Yes".   Okay , sooooooo..... then she said I want to connect you with an expert (!)   Okay.    But he is busy on the line, he'll call you back.    I will take a msg.    So we carefully go through everything, and my feeling was she took my phone number and maybe chucked it in the trash.  No one called.  I went online and did a chat - and I was getting one word answers.  I will shop around and verify that BullyDog needs to be disconnected, but also wondering and they could not tell me.... if the truck is set up to run with the BullyDog, don't I want the diagnostics connected in that situation?      That's the update!

Archived