smart car ramps

dennisvr

8vuTjX0l.jpg
wFktDAtl.jpg
Sn4XlRkl.jpg
3jZohWRl.jpg

Al, here are some pictures of the bed you asked for.  I built the box that's under it specifically for a 54" tool box I bought.  As you can see its a work in progress.  Still needs some touching up and then some paint.  Never fails when I start working on the truck something else comes up and I have to stop. 
Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the bed with the sideboards removed, but without them its just a flatbed.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glenn, I have the old style smart. It's a 2014 451....not the 453 like you have.

Dennis...NICE toolbox

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

14 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Glenn, I have the old style smart. It's a 2014 451....not the 453 like you have.

Dennis...NICE toolbox

Thanks Phil,  the red toolbox is a 54" from harbor freight.  I figured at $400 it was worth taking a chance to see if it will hold up to all the bouncing.  I had just enough room to build the 60" box to put it in between the cab and the fenders.  I bought enough metal to build a box for the other side, but haven't had time to build it.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

12 hours ago, dennisvr said:

Thanks Phil,  the red toolbox is a 54" from harbor freight.  I figured at $400 it was worth taking a chance to see if it will hold up to all the bouncing.  I had just enough room to build the 60" box to put it in between the cab and the fenders.  I bought enough metal to build a box for the other side, but haven't had time to build it.

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the pictures. The pictures are giving me some ideas. It look's like the car sits on the metal grating. Do you use D-rings to hold the car down ? If you use D-rings, how are they attacked to the bed ? Welded on ? The main part of my bed is made from wood looking like a deck. I am thinking about using steel diamond plate for were the tracks of the car goes. The steel plate will be placed on top of the wood deck. The size of the steel diamond plate will be 12" wide x 96" long.

Thank you again for the pictures,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

26 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the pictures. The pictures are giving me some ideas. It look's like the car sits on the metal grating. Do you use D-rings to hold the car down ? If you use D-rings, how are they attacked to the bed ? Welded on ? The main part of my bed is made from wood looking like a deck. I am thinking about using steel diamond plate for were the tracks of the car goes. The steel plate will be placed on top of the wood deck. The size of the steel diamond plate will be 12" wide x 96" long.

Thank you again for the pictures,
Al

Al, I don't have the attachment points on the deck yet.  I was thinking D rings, but with the expanded metal it doesn't work without adding metal for support.  I'm thinking of using "E" track, but not sure of its rating.  I like the expanded metal so I can hold light things anywhere on the bed with a bungee cord.  I have a 4x8 sheet of 3/16 alum diamond plate I'm thinking of replacing the expanded metal with.  If I do I would like to use 4 pieces E track side to side to hold things down as long as it will be strong enough to attach the wheel buckets to and hold the car.
So many things to do and so little time.  

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

1 hour ago, lockmup68 said:

I prefer the MacsTieDowns Versa Tie Track over etrack. Positive locking positions and no chance of slip outs. 

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/category/VersaTie-Track

I do like the Macs system, but did I say that I'm cheap, well I like to say Thrifty.  I can get Etrack at Utility for a good price.  Last time I got it, it was $22 for a 10' piece and I have the adaptors to go with it that have D rings so I can use straps with hooks.

After typing all that I got to thinking.  If I change out the expanded metal bed with the diamond plate I have, I could add another cross member and mount the Macs track to it.  It sure would be a clean looking install. 
You guys keep costing me money.  First it was the whisper then the torque multiplier now this. When will it end.  I know it wont, because if I see it and don't have it I want it.  

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Archived