smart car ramps

dennisvr

Are these the ramps that most of you are using?
I'm thinking of getting a pair of them and want to make sure they are the correct ones.
http://www.discountramps.com/smart-car-ramps/p/MF2-14438-SC/

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These ramps are 19" wide and what I call "sissy ramps" . . .  that's what I bought.  The 12"wide ramps are also popular and some have reported they bend less than the 19" ramps.  I've not heard of problems with either.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

That's what I have. As a matter of fact the picture of the blue smart on the red Volvo is mine (or was, I have a new smart now).

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

10 hours ago, Jim & Wilma said:

These ramps are 19" wide and what I call "sissy ramps" . . .  that's what I bought.  The 12"wide ramps are also popular and some have reported they bend less than the 19" ramps.  I've not heard of problems with either.

Jim,

There was a forum member who’s ramps broke at the hinge, but he admitted to abusing them by dropping them off the bed several times.  Only ones I’ve ever heard of having issues.  Believe his were the 19” wide.  Saying that my wife used to sit in the car as it was winched off the truck (not on) in case my winch rope failed.  She could hit the brakes.  We don’t do that any longer in the event of ramp failure.  I have the Big Boy II (1000 lbs /ramp).  If I were going to drive the car on and off, would get the 12” 2000 lb per axle or if using the 19” would build some type of support at the hinge area in case it were to break.  Might be overkill and paranoia but a 4 ft fall in a smart isn’t going to end well for your back and neck.

Here is the broken ramp thread 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Same ramps here as well.  I do find them heavy.  If I was doing it again I’d be using 12” wide ones to save some weight.  Discount Ramps and RVH Lifestyle both make 12” ones.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I have 12" ramps.  Wish they had made 15's but at the time 4 or 5 yrs ago when embarking on this HDT trek, Bob at Discount ramps told me he had consulted with the HDT set and determined that 12's were adequate.  Obviously I didn't get that memo or I'd have suggested wider.

• 12's take up less room and would be lighter than 19's.  I think 12's are 55 lbs each ramp.
  • I put a pce of 1/8 thick angle iron in the hinge to reduce the breakover angle so as not to rip off underbody parts.  Also put blocks under the dirt end so air dam doesn't hit the ground.
  • The Gen 1  have a different front and rear track, one is wider than the other.  New 17's and maybe 16's the track is the same front and back so when using 12" ramps you are not straddling the centerline of the ramps.  Pucker factor is reduced.
  • I winch mine up backwards and drive off forwards. Installed a trailer hitch on the rear of the car.   Pull seat fwd, sit on a pillow and watch front left wheel as driving off. 

I'm leaning towards the 19" "sissy ramps".  Not sure if I will drive or winch it up.  One thing I have to check is where I will be storing them, that may dictate which ones I get.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Carl, thanks for the copying the hinge failure posting.  Interesting. 

Some observations/speculation:

1. The ramps with the failed hinge appear to be the 12" model.
  2. Per Discount, ramp weights:  12" = 56 lb and 19" = 54 lb (12" hook version is 59 lb)
  3. Wonder if the 12" and 19" use same hinge material specs, possibly giving 19" some advantage.
  4. And most important, Phil, you're still famous.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Regarding the hinge failure...  I have to wonder if perhaps something besides dropping the ramp couldn't have been a factor.  Having a "pucker moment" and jamming on the brakes while on the ramps would induce a huge load, right where you don't want it.

Just thinking....always dangerous.;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

4 hours ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Carl, thanks for the copying the hinge failure posting.  Interesting. 

Some observations/speculation:

1. The ramps with the failed hinge appear to be the 12" model. Yup, thats what the pictures show. 
  2. Per Discount, ramp weights:  12" = 56 lb and 19" = 54 lb (12" hook version is 59 lb)  The 19" ones are wider and lighter. 
  3. Wonder if the 12" and 19" use same hinge material specs, possibly giving 19" some advantage. Same "materials" but totally different configuration if I recall.
  4. And most important, Phil, you're still famousAt least someone noticed :) Thanks Jim. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

May have to rethink getting ramps.  Glanced outside the window last night before sundown and noticed I don't have any place on the truck to store them "Dah".  Thinking of maybe getting the 12" ramps and sliding them under the car, but I think they are about 5 1/2" laying flat and not sure if I have that much room under the car.  Have to wait for sun up and go out and do some measuring.  Has anyone tried to slide them under the car?

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I did for a while. Built a storage area now. My 2013 Smart(deer totaled it), the lower cover that covers the bottom of car broke and dropped down. Always believed the ramps did it. I just tooked some light weight 3/4" tube steel and welded up a storage area underneath back of truck. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

40 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Dennisvr 

Cut four 2x10 about 10 inches square for the tires to sit on and that extra inch and a half should give you plenty of room under the car for the ramps.

Nigel

Yes Nigel, I thought of that also if 1 1/2" would give me enough to clear.

Thanks

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I considered this but decided against it. Wanted to keep bed flat. I do haul stuff on it occasionally. I try to save freight charges and have deliveries at freight depots. Drive to depot and pick up.  

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Howdy!

I have a set of Big Boy II ramps 12” wide I’m not using any more if anyone is interested in them.  I’m in Livingston at this time. Shipping is expensive  mine cost way over over $800.00 with shipping. I carried mine under our 2012 Smart Car that we carried on a Idaho Tote.

give me a call at # eight 3 two - 4 eight 3 - eight 5 zero 9. 

“Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Archived