What have you folks done to insure a new truck when picking it up?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I may have found a truck that will my next RV hauler, but I am running into a problem.  I have insurance on my truck and trailer now through "Thum Insurance" National General, is the company providing the coverage.

I contacted Melissa and asked about insuring a new truck while its being driven from its present location to my home.  I explained that the new truck is not yet a motor home as it hasn't been converted at this time.  The reply I got was kind of cryptic, if I understand it correctly she is wanting to sell me a commercial policy, liability only for a 6 month time frame.  I have sent another email asking for clarification.

What have you folks done when picking up a new to you truck?  Thanks for any information you can share.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

What I did was simply fill out Texas form for a motorhome. Very easy. Don't know your state ruling though. Texas really has no requirements, simply "describe what you did for conversion.  I stated already has fridge, microwave, heat and air, removed commercial hitch. Dealer removed it for me.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I get my insurance from my regular auto provider, Auto Owners Insurance.  

I called my local agent, who I have used for years, with the VIN number of my (not RV yet) semi tractor after it was found and purchased contingent on my inspection.  They told me to call them from the dealer if the deal went through and they would bind the policy.  That easy.  Just like a car or any other vehicle.  The truck officially became an RV when I registered it a few days later, but was already insured as such on their grace period.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

8 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

I get my insurance from my regular auto provider, Auto Owners Insurance.  

I called my local agent, who I have used for years, with the VIN number of my (not RV yet) semi tractor after it was found and purchased contingent on my inspection.  They told me to call them from the dealer if the deal went through and they would bind the policy.  That easy.  Just like a car or any other vehicle.  The truck officially became an RV when I registered it a few days later, but was already insured as such on their grace period.

That's how I did it too when I bought mine. 

I would have NEVER told National General that it wasn't converted "yet". I would have simply said that "once I get it home and register it it will be a motorhome just like the the one I have now".

EDIT: Oops, CC posted while I was typing....Yeah, what he said

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

13 minutes ago, MrSeas said:

How did you do it on your present truck?

Howdy Glenn,

My present truck was converted when I bought it, so it was insured as a motor home.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

10 minutes ago, CrazyCooter said:

Why would it matter if it's an RV or not? It's still just a truck that you will use for personal tasks......They never asked me how I was titled just wanted a VIN.

Washington state will declare it a commercial vehicle until deemed an RV....insurance is much more expensive.

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

7 minutes ago, Big5er said:

That's how I did it too when I bought mine. 

I would have NEVER told National General that it wasn't converted "yet". I would have simply said that "once I get it home and register it it will be a motorhome just like the the one I have now".

EDIT: Oops, CC posted while I was typing....Yeah, what he said

Howdy Phil,

I probably messed up by trying to do the right thing and letting the insurance agent know that the truck wasn't yet converted.  I just didn't want to take a chance on driving the thing home, have a something happen even if it wasn't my fault and then have the whole frekin world fall in on me.  Sometimes being a nice guy back fires on ya.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Just now, ewacowboy said:

Washington state will declare it a commercial vehicle until deemed an RV....insurance is much more expensive.

Howdy Jim,

Therein lies my problem.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Ya, my Dodge pickup is commercial in CA too...... Farmers doesn't seem to care about that either. I think your biggest issue would possibly be driving out of class if you don't have a class A/B license?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

19 minutes ago, ewacowboy said:

Washington State can't "declare" it to be something it is not. ....nor can they dictate how the insurance company insures it. We are ALL commercial motor vehicles...Our usage is what exempts our vehicles from the Federal regs.

19 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Phil,

I probably messed up by trying to do the right thing and letting the insurance agent know that the truck wasn't yet converted.  I just didn't want to take a chance on driving the thing home, have a something happen even if it wasn't my fault and then have the whole frekin world fall in on me.  Sometimes being a nice guy back fires on ya.

Dave

Dave, I would never advocate lying to your insurance company but like CC pointed out, until you register it, it is what it is. And for you that would be personal truck. I have no idea what state you are buying it in, or what state you will be registering it in. If you are buying from a dealer, I bet it has no license plates on it so get them to issue you a temporary buyers tag and tell them to write it up as truck, not a tractor. Or if buying from an individual check with your DMV and tell them you are buying a truck that you will be registering as a MH once you get it home and see if they can issue you a temp tag. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

4 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Washington State can't "declare" it to be something it is not. ....nor can they dictate how the insurance company insures it. We are ALL commercial motor vehicles...Our usage is what exempts our vehicles from the Federal regs.

Dave, I would never advocate lying to your insurance company but like CC pointed out, until you register it, it is what it is. And for you that would be personal truck. I have no idea what state you are buying it in, or what state you will be registering it in. If you are buying from a dealer, I bet it has no license plates on it so get them to issue you a temporary buyers tag and tell them to write it up as truck, not a tractor. Or if buying from an individual check with your DMV and tell them you are buying a truck that you will be registering as a MH once you get it home and see if they can issue you a temp tag. 

Howdy Phil,

The truck I am interested in is in Portland OR, it is at a dealers lot, I would be registering and titling it in Washington.  I can give the insurance people a call and see if they'll insure it as a privet truck just to get it home.  I was hoping to avoid having to carry full insurance on it while in the build process and while I am still insuring the truck I have in use now.  I'll do some phone calling next Monday and see if I can get something sorted out, getting all my ducks in a row to possibly pick it up sometime between November 27th-30th.  And NO I ain't posting any photos unless it happens.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I would call your current insurance agent and tell them you are purchasing a new truck to haul your RV with and here is the VIN...... DO NOT confuse them with private truck, motorhome, commercial truck, etc. Let them ask you the questions as they will pretty much say yes, no, or ask for more info if they need it. They will probably ask you if you will be operating the truck below 26K....and you will be.

What I have found when I say Peterbilt RV hauler, they automatically assume it's a baby med. duty Pete and that's just fine with me.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Portland isn't that far from you, can you get the selling dealer to deliver the truck?    

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

33 minutes ago, CrazyCooter said:

Hopefully the transaction and trip home will go off without a hitch or you might have to name this new truck "Semi Insane".

Howdy CC,

If this happens I was thinking "Semi-Sane ll" or "Semi Retired Semi".  But, it has to happen first.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I called my agent and told them what I was doing.  After I made the deal with the seller (truck dealer), I had the agent fax proof of insurance (commercial) and drove it home.  As soon as I was done converting, and had MH title in hand, I cancelled the commercial policy. Yes, the annual premium is high, but it was only for a couple of weeks.

It may have helped that I already had one truck on the commercial policy.

Ask your agent if they would do that for you.  If you have been with them a while, and have multiple vehicles with them, they'll likely work with you.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Howdy All,

I'll do some calling Monday and see what I can come up with, thanks for all the suggestions.

Dve

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 hours ago, Exile said:

I also see bobtail policies advertised on trucker forums.  Looking at it, it seemed short term like what you need. 

I have all so seen what they call non-trucking liability advertised. Progressive web site describes it as when a truck is insured by a company for hauling there stuff and the trucker owns the truck and uses the truck for non trucking activities. They specifically say like going to movies. I wonder if a guy could insure that way.  Anyone know

national rally 2021.jpg

I called progressive and explained to great detail what i wanted to do. commercial truck to RV in future and all that. Half way through my speel. I could feel her shutting down and then she cut me off. Told me non-trucking liability is not what i need and to call a couple of agents she said did rv's. and quickly hung up. So i guess so much for that. I think in future I'm going to give a lot less detail. hope this is helpful to some one. Ron

national rally 2021.jpg

Howdy All,

What I have learned from this is if-when I find my next truck I am just going to give them the vin and ask for insurance, if they don't ask I am not going to tell.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 11/18/2017 at 7:49 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

Portland isn't that far from you, can you get the selling dealer to deliver the truck?    

Steve

This may be a good option. They run trucks around all the time.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Archived