google security

bigjim

I just got hit with google security update issue.  I tried to log in and it wanted my phone #  or an alternate email address or the answer to my security question.  My security question was one I could not get wrong except maybe capitalizing the 1st letter. Something went wrong and the security question got deleted. Now I have found that there is no way to retore or use a security question.  I don't want to give them my phone # and I don't have another email address since the old ecapees email went away.  What should I do?

Well, I am not sure why you do not want to provide a phone number, but I have my Google account set up to require the phone number so that if an attempt is made to log in from a device it does not know about it will send a verification code to the phone. You then have to enter that code along with your password. That makes it very difficult for someone to hijack your account.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

A lot of times a security question can be compromised by what is called "social engineering" this is often done on Facebook as part of some "tell me what animal I am" or "who are my best friends" those things ask seemingly harmless questions which drive to "what street you grew up on" "name of your first grade teacher" etc.  Giving them your phone numbers ensures that you have control of when/where your account is accessed from.  two factor authentication is the future and we should all be glad.

46 minutes ago, jpcoll01 said:

Giving them your phone numbers ensures that you have control of when/where your account is accessed from.  two factor authentication is the future and we should all be glad.

Ditto.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I really appreciate the comments but in my estimation it is just as easy to compromise your phone # as a password and it makes you easier to track across multiple devices. Somewhere I read something about this on more than on occaision.   To me  a security word properly configured much like a pass work is safer.  For instance if they ask your dogs name you don't have to answer the actual dogs name, you can pout in any combination of letters and numbers and maybe symbols that you want. How would they know if that is your dogs name or not.  If I thought it would work I would give them something like that as a phone no. but that would be obvious.  I guess I may have to open up another email account with all the hassels involved with more passwords, more updates, more trying to weasel more info out of you.

5 hours ago, bigjim said:

I really appreciate the comments but in my estimation it is just as easy to compromise your phone # as a password and it makes you easier to track across multiple devices.

You receive a text to your phone that you have to enter to complete the 2-step login process. 

In all honesty if you have a cell phone someone, somewhere already has that information and you are already being tracked. When you visit any website you are being tracked no matter what browser you use. In this day and age there is really no way for absolute privacy short of going totally off the grid. JMO

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Its not about compromising a phone number - if they have your phone number and you have your phone, then its safe.  If someone else has your phone and trying to hack your account, then its very bad.  Obviously, if you lose your phone and it's not password protected, then you'd need to call your provider asap.

I have "location services" turned on, on my phone.  And at my bank's request, I have given them permission to track me.  This is because I travel so much, that it triggers the bank's security process when I use the credit card.  And eliminates the credit card freeze that used to happen.

Some financial institutions are using two step verification via phone.  There's a downside to that though: If you manage someone else's account. . .and use your phone number for ID, then you freeze out the other person.  If you use the other person's phone number, then you're frozen out.  If you use only one phone, such as between your significant other and yourself, then no problem.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Archived