Flat Towing

Attended Tampa Auto show yesterday (in search of info on potential toads.) Learned that those well dressed folks representing their brand don't know anything about towing. Thanks for the link to remco, didn't know about it. Our '02 CRV has 92K on it and runs fine...guess we'll wait until it can't run anymore before worrying about replacing it. New CRVs cannot be flat towed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2017 at 7:16 AM, ToddF said:

Our '02 CRV has 92K on it and runs fine...guess we'll wait until it can't run anymore before worrying about replacing it.

We traded our 2001 CRV at 167,000 and now consider that to have been a mistake. We should have kept it longer as the new owner was still driving it at 100k more. Just be sure that you get the 100k service done as if the timing belt fails it will destroy the engine. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, we appreciate your post We also have a 2001 CRV (2nd owner always used as a toad.) We were going to replace it because of it's age but found out new CRVs cannot be flat towed. We have decided to keep it until it dies. Runs great as t 15 years old, 90K driven plus who knows how many towed miles. It needs new tires but otherwise runs great. 

On 12/14/2017 at 9:04 AM, ToddF said:

90K driven plus who knows how many towed miles

That car is easily a 200k car but do make sure to do the owner's manual required 100k service. It includes replacing the timing belt. The current owner of ours has had it changed again. We liked the 2001 better than the 2013 that we replaced it with. We drove the first one 167k and towed it something more than 40k as a best estimate. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 12/13/2017 at 8:41 PM, cvick said:

When looking for a toad look it up on the toad guides but when you see one you like google the car manual for that year and model I have had service mangers swear up and down that it could not be towed only later finding out just the opposite.

Quite a few people tow Mini Coopers, so earlier this year I checked with the local Mini dealer. They told me that the Mini can NOT be towed four down, no matter which transmission is in the car. Never has been able to be towed four down. Guess all those people who are doing it don't know that what they are doing is impossible. <grin>

I suspect that what the dealer meant was that, if I bought one and towed it, they wouldn't honor the warranty. I'm not about to buy a new car that has no warranty, so I told the dealer I'd look elsewhere.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived