What if

Brett

So I’m still in the working stage of planning out my move to HDT for safety sake. I’d like to do an old rig for the cool factor but I’m setting it aside in favor of ease and looking Volvo. My current fifth wheel is tiny by standards for an HDT but I’m thinking of doing truck/rv at once and getting something like a Teton. 

My big questions revolve around the how to do this for me. I don’t want a smart car, rather have a little more usable such as a wrangler and am thinking behind the cab flat and going long frame but not sure how it works in terms of frame length and adding a top that I can park it safely on for transport. 

None of that is overly complex and I know many of you have people who can do a simple conversion like that. My real question comes that in the medium future I would like to consider a spacecraft semi rig and I don’t want to do anything too crazy such as removing the stock connectors in case I do make the move over. Is it within reason to place a deck over all the stock setups so I can swap back and potentially go with a toyhauler to take the vehicle from behind the cab?

Can I have my cake and eat it too?

I'm not sure I completely understand what you want to do. 

Towing a semi does not preclude a deck. You just have to build in the required clearances...eg. a step-deck. The car can still sit in its normal place, but it will be a LONG truck. Probably over 36', depending on the truck model chosen (assuming a Wrangler on deck for/aft).

It is pretty simple to build a deck to carry the car. For example we are about to build a deck for an Equinox, which requires 16'. No issue, just long. You will want to stay tandem, and you will have to locate the hitch behind the axles....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

A 5th wheel and a Jeep will be a long truck. This will limit you with RV sites. We are 30', truck, and are limited. You would be longer. Now a bumper pull is different. Have more usable bed. I can get groceries with our Smart. It hauls my toolbox for work. It is small though, box. I weld and don't need much. When I need more capacity I drive truck. Smartcar is more usable than most realize. It will haul a 40# propane bottle too. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I guess the simple question is if I were to build a flat deck above the original hitch and leave everything pristine in case I go to a semi style trailer would I have clearance for something longer than a smart and still haul a fifth wheel of 35-40 feet. I could go on an incline for a Jeep since I move every 3 months or less but would like the ease of going flat. 

Most anything in reason and watch out for weight balance is possible. Just be aware of increased length limits RV parks. Have you checked out the resource section. Lots of pics with Jeep's.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Like Jack I am unsure of your concern?

You can build a deck to haul a full size pick up and tow a 40' trailer, it will be 85+' long.     The air and electric for a semi trailer are not an issue, they can be hidden or relocated with little trouble.    The idea of building a bed or deck above the existing 5th wheel is possible, removing the 5th wheel is not a big deal, particularly if you build a long bed.     

The question you may be wondering about is, how long can the whole rig be?     Most states have a 65' combination length limit for non commercial truck/trailers.    Some states have shorter limits a few have longer or no limits.     Many folks on this forum have combination lengths greater than 65', most have never had an issue.    The enforcement of length laws is the prerogative  of the LEO you encounter, most disregard it.    That said, the "average" over length RV is perhaps 70' or less, a truck with a full size car will visually draw ones attention to its overall length.    

There are a few other things that you should consider, wheelbase needed to properly balance the truck loaded and unloaded.     This would most likely require a long wheelbase truck  or frame extension, the added wheelbase makes turns more challenging and greatly limits access to metro areas.     Tail swing is another issue with a long truck with an extended frame,  this is what really limits city driving.      There are several other things that are relevant, the last one I'll mention is, utility or usefulness.      You don't say where you are or where you plan to travel?       

The trade off of taking it all with you in one package or dividing it, is not a trivial task.     Between length, maneuverability,  access and, value.      These kind of rigs have a very limited market, if resale is an issue.    There are several folks here with long beds for cars/trucks on deck, look at the rally pictures for some ideas.     Do you have the option of having the Jeep follow you?    

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I've never measured mine hooked up. I carry a Jeep Wrangler in a 14" box. And have a 37" fifth wheel. I fit in a 71" spot. 

You can see pictures on the HHRV Resource site. 

http://hhrvresource.com/

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

3 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

I'm not sure I completely understand what you want to do. 

Towing a semi does not preclude a deck. You just have to build in the required clearances...eg. a step-deck. The car can still sit in its normal place, but it will be a LONG truck. Probably over 36', depending on the truck model chosen (assuming a Wrangler on deck for/aft).

It is pretty simple to build a deck to carry the car. For example we are about to build a deck for an Equinox, which requires 16'. No issue, just long. You will want to stay tandem, and you will have to locate the hitch behind the axles....

Jack, I believe he said a semi trailer such as a SpaceCraft... not a conventional semi trailer. Just FYI.

41 minutes ago, jcsteele said:

Jack, I believe he said a semi trailer such as a SpaceCraft... not a conventional semi trailer. Just FYI.

That is a conventional semi-trailer as far as bolster plate and kingpin location goes. Of course, you could have Marsha change that.   The kingpin can easily be moved more forward. 

I do not advise "covering" a commercial 5th wheel hitch...as noted above it is pretty trivial to remove and replace if needed. 

With a Spacecraft semi there will be a suspension hitch designed for those weights early next year, so a commercial hitch may not be necessary or desirable. 

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

There is always another way to go.  I have a T2000, a 42’ DRV and a Wrangler Rubicon. I much prefer a short wheelbase HDT for maneuvering.  It is also much better for using as a daily driver if needed (wife and I can each have a vehicle if necessary).  Rather than trying to haul the Jeep on the HDT, I double tow it behind the 5er.  I much prefer this set up, but that is a personal preference.  Some people do not like to double tow.  I have had no issues with it and find it fits me better.  I can also have access to the Jeep for use without having to unhitch the 5er.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

7 hours ago, Rick & Alana said:

I've never measured mine hooked up. I carry a Jeep Wrangler in a 14" box. And have a 37" fifth wheel. I fit in a 71" spot. 

You can see pictures on the HHRV Resource site. 

http://hhrvresource.com/

WoW! 

rickalana_main.jpg

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

5 hours ago, Stickman81 said:

WoW! 

rickalana_main.jpg

Nice looking rig. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

11 hours ago, NoDirectionHome said:

There are considerable trailer height to deck height issues that have not be mentioned when adapting a semi-trailer frame.

Thats right. That is why I mentioned a step deck. If you put a conventional height hauler body on the truck, or a conventional height flatbed....then you "typically" need the clearance for the trailer to be on the trailer, not on the truck. That is why RVs have hitch heads that extend down with the kingpin typically mounted 10" or so from the overhang of the trailer.  A semi configuration "typically" requires the clearance to be on the truck, not on the trailer. There is only around 4" of clearance on the trailer. You can solve this and still have storage and a hauler body by building a deck that steps down at the rear around the hitch. Giving you room for the trailer clearance required.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived