I found a candidate HDT help please

RKMoezee

I found a truck I really like and of course it's 1500 miles away but close to a Volvo dealer. I called and they can do a pre purchase inspection with oil samples. Has anyone ever used a dealer for a pre purchase inspection? I thought if it passes this with the oil samples. Engine and Trans. I would fly up and do a real thorough exam on my own. I have truck experience and then drive it and all, of course the bank has title that makes me uncomfortable. Has anyone done a deal like this? how it go? There's a Cummins dealer near by that has a Dyno Volvo doesn't. Can they do a inspection on a Volvo just as well? Volvo said they would do a computer download. Any thoughts? Am  I on the right track? By the way its a 2013 vnl630 290k miles 46k dollars. thanks Ron

national rally 2021.jpg

A very good idea.  I got my truck from RDO in Fargo.  They have their own multi page safety and pre sale check.  Most of Jacks criteria was complied with.  Found in the resource guide if I'm not mistaken.  Tires were at 50% on the front so RDO replaced them at their cost with Michelins.  Also had them remove the commercial hitch, they cleaned and painted the frame, cleaned inside the cab.  Treated the inside for smoke 'cus the driver smoked.  The smell has never returned in 4 yrs.

Having the truck at the dealer is a good opportunity to have items dealt with before they occur.  Pre-emptive strikes.  The injector harness being 1 costly item.

Yes they can download the computer and come up with some info, also change settings if you want.  Possibly single the truck if that is the plan.

You may be able to get a better deal on parts, have fluids and filters changed plus, plus.  Starting with a clean slate so fewer surprises,  rather than dealing with one unexpected issue after another happening when least expected.

Lots can be done by e-mail and pics.

Best of luck

Have them pull the pan and inspect the bearings. If they wont do it then you do it as soon as you can. With that many miles it may not be necessary but its cheap insurance. If its all good the only parts you need is a new pan gasket.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

When they "dump" the info from the ECM double check when and how often the "SCR" system has accomplished a successful "regen".  this may give you an idea how the system as operated.  Most of the "emission" parts have a "real life" span of about  250K miles.  

I have a fairly complete checklist that we use for truck inspection.  I'll try to get it posted in the next day or so. You probably will not be able to do it all, but it does cover the truck reasonably.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

14 hours ago, Sculptor said:

The Cummins dealer nearby caught my eye.  I also dealt with RDO and the Cummins dealer did the dyno for me.  I can look up the info if you would like.

Yes please I would like that. So Cummins was able to hook up to a Volvo and download the computer. I would like to see all the tattletales. over speed and over temp if that's possible along with Dyno. This truck is in Tacoma Washington. Thanks

national rally 2021.jpg

9 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

I have a fairly complete checklist that we use for truck inspection.  I'll try to get it posted in the next day or so. You probably will not be able to do it all, but it does cover the truck reasonably.

Thanks Jack I would like that it's not the same check sheet from Greg is it. I already have that but if you have a different one that would be appreciated

national rally 2021.jpg

5 minutes ago, iddy said:

Yes please I would like that. So Cummins was able to hook up to a Volvo and download the computer. I would like to see all the tattletales. over speed and over temp if that's possible along with Dyno. This truck is in Tacoma Washington. Thanks

I meant I could get the contact info for the Fargo Cummins dyno people, without asking personal info such as where the truck is or where you are.  

I think Cummins could not download history from the truck.  But I was not asking him to do that.  He could only tell me the engine and trans OUTPUT numbers he got coincided with about 80% output at best, out of 5 runs.  They did not have any tech specs from Volvo to compare with.  I hope that helps anyway.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

1 minute ago, Sculptor said:

I meant I could get the contact info for the Fargo Cummins dyno people, without asking personal info such as where the truck is or where you are.  

I think Cummins could not download history from the truck.  But I was not asking him to do that.  He could only tell me the engine and trans OUTPUT numbers he got coincided with about 80% output at best, out of 5 runs.  They did not have any tech specs from Volvo to compare with.  I hope that helps anyway.

oh i see thanks. yeah i need somebody in Tacoma

national rally 2021.jpg

10 hours ago, iddy said:

Thanks Jack I would like that it's not the same check sheet from Greg is it. I already have that but if you have a different one that would be appreciated

I merged mine with Greggs. So it is somewhat different. I'll publish it on our website in a Blog entry and let people know when I do. It will be another day or so...Quickbooks is dominating my time at the moment. :(

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 3 weeks later...

Well i turned the truck down. I really wanted it but after talking to my bank and they explained that if I payed off his loan it would be a least 3 days before the bank turned the title loose to the truck seller not me. I thought I could work a deal through the bank but was told no. Also i couldn't get straight answers to some questions but i think it was cause the seller wasn't a English speaker. although he did all right. I really liked the truck but I think a private seller with out the title in hand is risky.  I really liked it though and would love to find one closer with the title. Thanks everyone for there input. I'm still looking though

national rally 2021.jpg

Archived