Getting into Full timing

Chalkie

"The only slight correction I would make is you only need wheel chocks if your RV is a trailer." Tell that to the man who was bringing home his new-to-him 'Bird. He stopped at a rest area, and when he came back his coach was missing and people were looking over the edge of the cliff. Someone mentioned that a motorhome went over the cliff. He looked down and found his 'Bird. Either the parking brake failed or he didn't have it engaged, but I have chocks in place right now, and we're on a perfectly level site.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

1 hour ago, kb0zke said:

"The only slight correction I would make is you only need wheel chocks if your RV is a trailer." Tell that to the man who was bringing home his new-to-him 'Bird. He stopped at a rest area, and when he came back his coach was missing and people were looking over the edge of the cliff. Someone mentioned that a motorhome went over the cliff. He looked down and found his 'Bird. Either the parking brake failed or he didn't have it engaged, but I have chocks in place right now, and we're on a perfectly level site.

I'd love to know more about this. First off, what is a 'Bird? Second, how big and heavy was this coach? And third, was that rest area on a 45 degree angle or something? I ask that question because if it was an automatic, and it was in park, I don't know how it would have rolled backward. Mine is only a 25 ft Class C, and while I do believe in wheel chocks, I also trust the transmission being in park and the emergency brake engaged. Having never been in a mountainous area, I have never seen a rest area off a highway on such a severe slope and can't even fathom that a rest area would be located in an area near a cliff for that to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Health insurance? Conspicuous by its absence . . . oh yeah, they're immortal 30-somethings.

Also, they're selling stuff on their blog. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm getting tired of the "we're-new-fulltimers-please-contribute-to-our-revenue-stream" pitch -- like this.

I don't think I'm alone -- here's a recent IRV2 thread.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

On 11/12/2017 at 2:56 PM, sandsys said:

This is important and well organized information. The only slight correction I would make is you only need wheel chocks if your RV is a trailer.

Linda Sand

Not so.  We chock the motorhome whenever we are out-of-level, especially when raising rear end.  We have had a parking brake ‘let go’ and it isn’t a thrill I want to repeat.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Eddie, a 'Bird is a Bluebird Wanderlodge. Yes, the school bus Bluebird company. No Park, as it is a diesel pusher. I never did hear if they figured out exactly what happened. As I recall, it was a BMC, (Bluebird Motor Coach) which was a slightly smaller, cheaper, and lighter coach, probably 40,000 pounds instead of the 50,000 of the larger ones.

BTW, if you go out to the airport you will see chocks in use on every airplane that is parked. Now think about how flat an airport is.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived