Solar & portable heater questions

Bruce H

I just purchased a  2006 Forest River Georgetown class A. It comes with 4 solar panels mounted on the roof, so my first question is what type of covering should I use for the panels.  I live in the northeast (Ct) and will be keeping the MH outdoors, but not totally covered this winter.

2nd question, I plan on working in it this winter so what type of portable heater would you recommend I should use. I don't want to run my propane heater in the MH. I'll be plugged into 2, 14 or 12 gauge extension cords from the house.

All comments and help would be greatly appreciated. 

Why do you want to cover the solar panels?  Leave them exposed and let them keep your batteries topped.  

As for heaters, that extension cord is going to limit the wattage you can use for electric heat.  14 gauge you can probably run a small portable electric on set for MEDIUM heat but I would not recommend running it on HIGH - connections and cord probably would get pretty warm.  Even on medium you will not have any spare amperage for other items.  

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

I wouldn't cover the solar panels. Just wash them next spring when you get ready to travel again.

I used a small space heater I got from Walmart placed where it would do the most good. Be sure you get one that turns off when tipped over.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

While a heater run on low or medium, should be supported by 14ga, I'd never run it for any length of time on high. 

If buying new extension cords, go with contractor grade 10/3 cord for the long run. If you want to put a splitter into it at the RV for two lines, it would support 15A combined usage. You could use shorter 12/3 cords in the RV for the short runs. 

High draws can overheat and become dangerous, so oversizing the extension is better then undersizing cords. 

If this is going to be a permanent storage location. You might add a dedicated 20A circuit, and run per your area's billing codes cords to the area. Then just plug in your 30/50A shore power cord.

I have a  20A that I use while in storage, and can even run one roof AC as needed. 

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived