Input on potential HDT

rpsinc

Looking at a 2005 IH 9200i with a Cummins ISX/425HP and EF 10 speed.  Already singled(from birth) and set up to haul a race trailer, so trailer brake controls in place.  Has ~425K miles.  Checking to see if some here might offer some of their knowledge and experience as to what to look for and what to consider/not consider.  Overall condition is very good for age.  Has simple sleeper.

Marcel

Have a meachanic that is familiar with the ISX check the condition of the EGR system, cams, injectors, overhead, bearings, and overall soot level inside the intake.  The CM 870 is probably the model your looking at for the time frame. Download a copy of the ECM and look for active and inactive fault codes.

Probably one of the best Harvesters built in the last 20 years. Drivetrain has a good reputation. As above have a reputable mechanic check the condition of this particular truck. Can't imagine it has been abused in this service. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

• 4 weeks later...

I havent had the chance to see this truck.  Owner is out of state and truck is on west coast.  Supposed to be seeing it in the next few weeks.  I did stumble across another though.  A '92 Volvo with a Detroit and an 8 speed manual.  Has 900K miles, had top end done 30K miles ago, bottom end done a few years before that.  Had already been set up as HDT and owner still uses it that way.  Drom box, singled, low rise sleeper, well cared for(new paint 2 years ago).  Owner told be that the trans is a 4 up and 4 down.  Not familiar with that in an HDT, although my familiarity is very sparce.  It is a nice looking truck and owner is selling due to age, his not trucks.  He claimed that Detroits are long mile motors and know of a friend with one that is at almost 3M miles.

Input?

Marcel

Not really familiar with those older Detroits myself, but looking it might be the 11.1 liter version? Not sure when the 12.7 version came out? I have a 12.7 Detroit 60 in my 2000 Volvo and love that engine. As for the transmission, I'm guessing it's 4 gears in the low range and 4 on the high range. Maybe an 8L or 8LL? My only question would be the overall final gearing in the transmission and rear end to see what RPM's you would be running at for a given speed. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I have an '03 9200i with ISX and Freedomline 12 speed. Like MrSeas said. Happy with the truck so far except for an ABS light I cannot track down yet. Next harness is the spendy one to replace. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

On 12/4/2017 at 6:11 PM, rpsinc said:

I havent had the chance to see this truck.  Owner is out of state and truck is on west coast.  Supposed to be seeing it in the next few weeks.  I did stumble across another though.  A '92 Volvo with a Detroit and an 8 speed manual.  Has 900K miles, had top end done 30K miles ago, bottom end done a few years before that.  Had already been set up as HDT and owner still uses it that way.  Drom box, singled, low rise sleeper, well cared for(new paint 2 years ago).  Owner told be that the trans is a 4 up and 4 down.  Not familiar with that in an HDT, although my familiarity is very sparce.  It is a nice looking truck and owner is selling due to age, his not trucks.  He claimed that Detroits are long mile motors and know of a friend with one that is at almost 3M miles.

Input?

Be certain it's air ride.  A lot of trucks of that era were not.  I had a Volvo of that vintage w/ Hendrickson spring ride, 350 Big Cam, and 8 spd fuller tranny.  Good solid truck, when loaded.  Empty, it would beat you senseless.  Bobtail, you couldn't keep you eyes focused.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, rpsinc said:

I found another candidate.  Tell me what you think

2011Volvo 670 with Cummins ISX at 450, 13(?) speed auto, singled with super singles, workstation, 800K miles, $19K

Hi rpsinc,

I find your candidate truck to be interesting. The truck is singled with super singles. Maybe some of the others fellows see this can make a comment. I have never seen that combination before.

Best of luck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

The whole single axle/super singles thing can be a bit controversial.  Like your favorite motor oil.  I think single tires are catching on, and the  fear of something "new" is fading.  If your are well within the weight ratings, I wouldn't be afraid of it.

I've had dozens of vehicles with single rear tires over the years, including many pickups pulling heavy trailers.  No issues so far.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

When super singles were first introduced, there were issues with having roadside service, traction, etc.  But with today's tires, everybody stocks them in the big truck world, new compounds and patterns have made losing traction a non-issue,  and longevity of the tire is on par with a single/dual rear tire.  

Many trucking firms that run standard routes- city to city, are moving to them on their tractors, and their pup trailers.  So if the bean counter at the big companies see savings in long-term operating costs by moving to this setup, then I think the tire has proven itself.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Verify the ISX model year.  Verify 13 speed. Most automated tranny’s are 12 speed.  Are you ok with super singles?  Service/ maintenance  records?  Pull the top cover and verify condition of cams and related running gear.  See if fuel pump has been changed to newer version.

20 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Verify the ISX model year.  Verify 13 speed. Most automated tranny’s are 12 speed.  Are you ok with super singles?  Service/ maintenance  records?  Pull the top cover and verify condition of cams and related running gear.  See if fuel pump has been changed to newer version.

Not familiar with different years of ISXs.  I asked about the trans being 13 speed auto and he told me it was and on the door tag that way.  I will verify as I have not seen that commented on before.  Condition of cams, what am I looking for?  Top cover as in valve cover?  Fuel pump change-new style as in...?

Marcel

On 3/8/2018 at 6:32 PM, DesertMiner said:

The Eaton automated transmissions that come with that ISX come in 10, 11, 13,16 and 18 speed versions. The 12 speed automated trans are mainly the IShift/MShift in Volvo and Mack trucks and the new DT12 in Freightliner and Western Star with their related proprietary engines.

Any major truck in this country can be ordered with the Cummins/Eaton combination and Paccar with their engine and a Eaton trans.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

The 2011 is going to have the 3 piston fuel pump and you really, really don't want that.  What he means is to look and see if someone has changed the pump to the 2 piston pump.  If they didn't you'll have to do it.  Even if they did change it to the 2 piston it is going to be needing an overhaul to the new rollers and DLC plungers if it is to be trusted.  That definitely falls in Jack's $7K new truck fix-it fund.  You lose a complete engine if the pump comes apart.  It's a bad deal.  The three piston pump is a long one with 8 bolts holding the head on.  The two piston is a short one with 4 star shaped bolts holding the head together.  There's a oil filter bypass valve that needs to be changed out too.  It's got a white painted ring on it if it is the new one.  I don't know how you'd catch a falling apart pump short of somehow getting the oil filter off it to cut apart to see what is inside.  Or maybe find a bunch of rail pressure codes in the fault history.  Or see if one sets on a full load dyno.

On 12/4/2017 at 5:11 PM, rpsinc said:

Input?

The 92 Detroit can be a 11.1 or 12.7. As for the miles, if they did not do the Bull gear. It should be checked fast. As if it goes's out, its big $$. And most goes out around the miles on the truck. It came with a DDEC II ECM, but almost sure its been changed out. As Detroit no longer services those. You would have to swap out to a DDEC-III ( Also old and not avalable new) if you find one. Or up to the Better DDEC IV that you would get. And some stuff has to be changed out . To use that ECM. I have a 1995 and it has the DDEC IV on it. Started life with the DDEC III on it.

As for the 3 MIllion miles. Most can go that far, if you rebuild them enough. Not saying one did not make it that many miles. But if you get a 900,000 to a million on one. Without a inframe. Your playing with a match in a gas can. Can and will go up any minute. But again if that one had new bearings rolled in. And I take it new Liners, Pistons and new head. Or Rebuild of the head. That engine should last you a lifetime.

Couple Sensors can give issues. But 99% of the time easy to replace. Also most of these engines. Will smoke on startup. Most will burn dirty at idle. Always did and most always will. Driven a lot of new ones. And they also (1998-1997) give you a raw diesel smell at idle. Not bad, but sure not a clean burning engine.

Best MPG there was back then. Most times they would average 2 or more MPG over the rest. When set up right, pulled well. Not a 425 Cat for sure. But never had many cats leave me behind.

8 Speed is a 4 speed box with a splitter. You shift the same as if it were a 4 speed in a pickup. But when you go from 4th to 5th, Flip the splitter button up. And back to first, thats 5th gear, 6th is second gear, 7th is third gear, then 8th is 4th gear. (IF its a standard 8 Speed) If not top gear may well be where third gear should. Would  have to know the trans made and model number to know for sure.You can double clutch, but only use the clutch to start the truck moving.

event.png

Helped a friend change a bull gear in a 2000 Volvo. The Detroit had the  main bearing on the bull gear go bad. We did the change in the yard he works for. The hood was on an the radiator was still in place. They wanted a fortune foe a new one but he got a used one from Euebank, the used truck parts in Richmond Va. $200. Took us 3 afternoons to get it done. The truck is still hauling containers out of NIT in Norfolk.

Archived