rpsinc

Input on potential HDT

Looking at a 2005 IH 9200i with a Cummins ISX/425HP and EF 10 speed.  Already singled(from birth) and set up to haul a race trailer, so trailer brake controls in place.  Has ~425K miles.  Checking to see if some here might offer some of their knowledge and experience as to what to look for and what to consider/not consider.  Overall condition is very good for age.  Has simple sleeper.

Have a meachanic that is familiar with the ISX check the condition of the EGR system, cams, injectors, overhead, bearings, and overall soot level inside the intake.  The CM 870 is probably the model your looking at for the time frame. Download a copy of the ECM and look for active and inactive fault codes.

Edited by MrSeas

Probably one of the best Harvesters built in the last 20 years. Drivetrain has a good reputation. As above have a reputable mechanic check the condition of this particular truck. Can't imagine it has been abused in this service. 

I havent had the chance to see this truck.  Owner is out of state and truck is on west coast.  Supposed to be seeing it in the next few weeks.  I did stumble across another though.  A '92 Volvo with a Detroit and an 8 speed manual.  Has 900K miles, had top end done 30K miles ago, bottom end done a few years before that.  Had already been set up as HDT and owner still uses it that way.  Drom box, singled, low rise sleeper, well cared for(new paint 2 years ago).  Owner told be that the trans is a 4 up and 4 down.  Not familiar with that in an HDT, although my familiarity is very sparce.  It is a nice looking truck and owner is selling due to age, his not trucks.  He claimed that Detroits are long mile motors and know of a friend with one that is at almost 3M miles.

Input?

Not really familiar with those older Detroits myself, but looking it might be the 11.1 liter version? Not sure when the 12.7 version came out? I have a 12.7 Detroit 60 in my 2000 Volvo and love that engine. As for the transmission, I'm guessing it's 4 gears in the low range and 4 on the high range. Maybe an 8L or 8LL? My only question would be the overall final gearing in the transmission and rear end to see what RPM's you would be running at for a given speed. 

I have an '03 9200i with ISX and Freedomline 12 speed. Like MrSeas said. Happy with the truck so far except for an ABS light I cannot track down yet. Next harness is the spendy one to replace. 

On 12/4/2017 at 6:11 PM, rpsinc said:

I havent had the chance to see this truck.  Owner is out of state and truck is on west coast.  Supposed to be seeing it in the next few weeks.  I did stumble across another though.  A '92 Volvo with a Detroit and an 8 speed manual.  Has 900K miles, had top end done 30K miles ago, bottom end done a few years before that.  Had already been set up as HDT and owner still uses it that way.  Drom box, singled, low rise sleeper, well cared for(new paint 2 years ago).  Owner told be that the trans is a 4 up and 4 down.  Not familiar with that in an HDT, although my familiarity is very sparce.  It is a nice looking truck and owner is selling due to age, his not trucks.  He claimed that Detroits are long mile motors and know of a friend with one that is at almost 3M miles.

Input?

Be certain it's air ride.  A lot of trucks of that era were not.  I had a Volvo of that vintage w/ Hendrickson spring ride, 350 Big Cam, and 8 spd fuller tranny.  Good solid truck, when loaded.  Empty, it would beat you senseless.  Bobtail, you couldn't keep you eyes focused.