Bird Poop

dirtyboots

Thanks for the 'helpful' replies.  I've done a couple searches on line about the owls - mostly said they don't work, but then every situation is different, isn't it. 

This summer while in an RV park, a missile/branch about 12' long came down in a wind storm and totaled the hood and fender of my truck.  In a couple weeks I'm taking it in for replacement and it will have a fresh paint job - they request you keep the new paint away from the birds.  Since I don't have a covered place to park, just thought I'd ask if anyone knew/had experience  with keep the birds away.  For the record I am all the way human.

Perhaps if you had said your second post instead of your first post you might have gotten the answers you were looking for.  How about buying a cover?  Of course, birds have been known to poop on vehicles while they are in motion, stopped at a stop sign, red light, or while you are in a parking lot without trees getting your pretzels and beer.

Thanks, next week I'll check with the body shop and see if they have a suggestion.....maybe they'll let me park it in their shop????  Yeah, right!  Don't remember that particular Far Side, but it seems they have designated the top of my truck, my tool box and one of the bed rails as meeting places.  One bird couldn't possibly have deposited that much!! 

No birds , this time of year is a tall order . Most migratory breeds are flocking for the journey . 

We passed some plowed fields along the highway today and the sky was patched black with birds . Thousands , easily .

The reason an owl doesn't work for some is that they mount the decoy on a post and it never moves . Allow the decoy to move / turn or spin and the situation changes , quickly . Of course , then you might have to put up with a murder of crows attacking the owl , but ... ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Thanks for the lesson on the owl....might hit Tractor Supply and see if they have one - be worth a try!  The offenders here seem to be mostly doves.  Stayed at this same park last year, but in a different space....didn't have the big beautiful trees. 

Haven't asked the park about putting up a canopy but will, in fact maybe they'll have a suggestion.  Thanks for that idea.

In the mean time, think I'll go visit the car wash tomorrow and stop by TS.

5 minutes ago, dirtyboots said:

Thanks for the lesson on the owl....might hit Tractor Supply and see if they have one - be worth a try!  The offenders here seem to be mostly doves.  Stayed at this same park last year, but in a different space....didn't have the big beautiful trees. 

Haven't asked the park about putting up a canopy but will, in fact maybe they'll have a suggestion.  Thanks for that idea.

In the mean time, think I'll go visit the car wash tomorrow and stop by TS.

The owl generally works fine , until they figure out that it isn't real . But , like you said , it's worth a try . At the very least it would help keep critters from enjoying the wiring on your truck and maybe even keep a few mice from wanting in your rig . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

• 3 weeks later...

I've used bird barrier products for areas that they prefer.  I imagine that a cover would be nice but then the UV and the O2 wont have as much effect on the paint as it needs to.  Total cure of paint relies on both.  Once fully cured, keeping it waxed will at least help for the mess to not damage the paint as much, but with their diet, that "effluent" is just plain toxic.

If you discover a good strategy, we'd like to know.

Marcel

One thing you could do is get some tall bamboo poles or something similar and tie on silvery-sparkly ribbons on the top in a bunch.  Then tie three or four of these poles to the sides of your RV so the ribbons are in strategic places. 

Vineyards use wires with silvery ribbons hanging off of them to discourage birds from landing or pooping on grapes.  Not 100% guaranteed, but cheap and relatively easy.  I think it would work better than a plastic owl in any case. 

Actually, if you are between trees, you could also string wires or very thin ropes with ribbons hanging from them as well. 

I once taped ribbons to the side of my RV to prevent the female cardinals from bashing into my windows, thinking they were attacking those other invading birds.  It worked well, but all I had was some regular ribbon. Was told silvery and sparkles works better because they catch the light. 

Thanks for the great suggestions.  I picked up a HAWK decoy, so I have that and I'll pick up some ribbon tomorrow.  My truck wasn't supposed to be done until Friday but it was ready this afternoon!  Looks great and they detailed it - wow,  wonder how long I can keep it looking like that!

In my house in NE Washington (east side) I had a Robin who attacked my upstairs window over and over again.  Was able to hang a throw on the inside and that took care of it's desires.  Pesky birds.

I'll report back on the good, the bad and the ugly!

• 4 weeks later...

Had the truck back for 3+ weeks now and nary a spot of bird poop has fallen!  Maybe they just decided to move to a different roosting spot, maybe they read my mind, maybe the HAWK did the trick.  I don't know, but so far all is well.   Thanks again for all the ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived