Vertical Pin Box

Av8r3400

I have seen several of the members here with vertical pin boxes on their trailers.  I would like to make this modification to mine as well.  I believe that it will help put a little more weight on the hitch and shorten my OAL just a little.  I do not want to cut up my current pin box, so that I can put the trailer back to stock when the time comes to upgrade, so the question is:

1. Is there a vertical pin box available on the market or is it required to fabricate my own?
  2. If I need to fabricate one, which is not a huge deal, where is the best place for parts, like the actual pin?
  3. I've seen the guys at RVH make them, are they totally custom made to fit product or is this a "mass produced" item I could order from you?

Don't beat me up too bad, but my trailer is one of those hated, 'el cheapo, Lippert chassis units, cookie cut by the mass producers down in Indiana...  (Head hung in shame)

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

We custom built one for DRV's, to match those bolt hole patterns. It might fit other trailers, but unlikely. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I've been considering a straight box too. But we have a Mor-Ryde snubber style pin.  I want to keep the snubber feature, if possible.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Howdy All,

I have built two straight down pin boxes, what I did was save my original pin box for future sale or use and bought a used pin box that was strong enough for my use, then simply cut the bottom plate with the pin from the rest of the box and fabricated as needed.  Pretty simple if you have the tools needed to do the job.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived