Thinking of getting a classic HDT, Gageing interest in selling my HDT

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I have been thinking about this for a long time, I am seriously considering making what may to most be an irrational decision but those who know me can attest that rationality and my senses, whats left of them, are sometimes not quite in tune with each other.  Now that the stage has been set, here's the deal.  Over the close to four that I have owned my truck I have replaced or repaired darn near everything that could pose a problem while on the road, cosmetically its not as pretty as many I have seen at the rallies but I would stack it up mechanically against most I have seen over the last few years.  So why you may ask am I thinking about selling it?  The honest answer is simply this, I "LUST" for a classic truck, I don't need it, I want it.

I would like to carry a Smart Car, on the truck, carrying the Smart Car now takes up half the garage in my toy hauler this situation can't be continued.  I could modify my truck to haul the Smart Car but I would rather spend the money on a truck that I really want rather then improve the one that I now own.

I know going to a classic truck, 379 Pete, W900 KW, or Freightliner Classic, will cost me more in fuel, I know the turning radius is larger, I know the cabs are smaller, I know that going with a standard transmission will hurt the resale value, I know all these things but at this stage in my life I really don't care, I lust after and want a classic truck.

I am posting a link to the photo gallery of my truck and the work that has been done to it, I have recites for most of the work that has been done by shops but most has been done by my friend who is a Freightliner trained mechanic who is presently working for a local Freightliner shop and has his own shop and does work on the side.  Major items such as brakes, radiator, clutch and all accossieated parts and pieces have been replaced with NEW many within the last 5,000 miles to include David Dixon's super head light package.  I honestly don't fear taking the truck anywhere, I have faith in its being road worthy.

Here the link to the photos,    https://mr-cob.smugmug.com/Trucks/My-Freightliner-tou-hauler

So I am asking for folks to take a look at this truck and let me know thoughts as to what a reasonable price for it would be, the mileage on the truck is 788,129.2  and counting as I'll continue to use the truck until I find its replacement.  Hand calculated over the 65,000 miles that "I" have put on the truck since I have owned it my over all average fuel mileage has been 7.7mpg towing AT or slightly ABOVE what ever the posted speed limit is, the sweet spot with this truck is 68-72mph depending on wind and terrain, it has a ten speed three pedal auto shift transmission with a 3.55 rear axle.  Oh, if you have or know of a classic truck that I may be interested in PLEASE contact me.  Thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Classic (long nose), long wheelbase, big engine, 18 spd. manual are still the most sought after configuration.  The AMT's do bring 2-3K more from fleet owners because they can hire anyone to drive them.  I think you'll do well financially with the swap.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I will be number 1 fan of having truck like that.

Years ago I notice a truck like that sitting in a driveway in South Carolina. So I went back and talked to the owner. It was origanally a show truck. It still was in exceptional shape. He was polishing when I stopped.

With 2.6 million miles.

I have also see some nice stuff at the 75 Chrome shop in Wildwood Florida.

Go for it,.   Vern

Ya know Mr. Cobb, if your looking for approval then here it is. GO FOR IT!

i was sitting waiting to give blood the other day, and a Road & Track magazine was laying there with a story on URAL's . Made me think of you  

have fun and good luck  

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Howdy All,

Thanks for your replies, I have already looked at one "Chicken Truck" while driving across Arizona, more darn lights and chrome then you can easily imagine but the needed repairs over shadowed the glitz, darn sure was a pretty truck though. 

I have a couple more I'll be looking at whilst on my way home, I have already greased the skids with SWMBO so that part of the equation is in place, just need to sell my present truck so I have room to park and work on its replacement.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

should one think about what motor is in the truck. I think either Cummins or Detoit as for parts and finding someone to fix it if you can't.

Now a Cat motor mite be questionable. That is just my thoughts.

In Kalispell Montana Volvo's don't fit in with the local repair shops. But other makes are what most run for what ever business they are in.

Lots of parts, reasonably priced and knowledgeable folks to repair them. I have noticed around the country that over the road trucking has a lot of Volvo 's.

But construction, logging, cattle hauling and local stuff is is mostly non Volvo.

Just something to think about,.   Vern

Maybe a trip to Iowa 80 truck stop of some looking. Just had to say that

I think it is a great idea Dave. I would love a KW900 with 86” studio sleeper. I have never had an automated transmission so think a 13 speed would be perfect for our application. Your Freighliner is a nice hauler. I do not think you would have any issues selling it. As far as price I wouldn’t even know what to ask. 

Howdy All,

I havn't officially listed the truck for sale yet, was using this thread to gauge interest to see if anyone was interested in buying it.  So far I have had two people contact me by PM and voiced interest in it.  The price I gave them was $27,500.00 NO HAGGLING, I won't sell it for less then that as I have done so much to it.  I don't NEED to sell the truck, I would LIKE to sell it to buy something else that would better suit my needs and offer my truck at what I think is a very good price for a turn key truck that is already registered and titled as a "motor home" which should make it MUCH easier for a new owner to insure and plate it in their home area.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 11/12/2017 at 4:55 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I havn't officially listed the truck for sale yet, was using this thread to gauge interest to see if anyone was interested in buying it.  So far I have had two people contact me by PM and voiced interest in it.  The price I gave them was $27,500.00 NO HAGGLING, I won't sell it for less then that as I have done so much to it.  I don't NEED to sell the truck, I would LIKE to sell it to buy something else that would better suit my needs and offer my truck at what I think is a very good price for a turn key truck that is already registered and titled as a "motor home" which should make it MUCH easier for a new owner to insure and plate it in their home area.

Dave

Having seen your truck in person I would jump on it in a heartbeat...if I had the $$ available. I don't care as much about the exterior spit and polish near as much as solid mechanicals, which I'm sure would be no issue for the next owner of your truck.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

On 11/10/2017 at 7:25 AM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I have been thinking about this for a long time, I am seriously considering making what may to most be an irrational decision but those who know me can attest that rationality and my senses, whats left of them, are sometimes not quite in tune with each other.  Now that the stage has been set, here's the deal.  Over the close to four that I have owned my truck I have replaced or repaired darn near everything that could pose a problem while on the road, cosmetically its not as pretty as many I have seen at the rallies but I would stack it up mechanically against most I have seen over the last few years.  So why you may ask am I thinking about selling it?  The honest answer is simply this, I "LUST" for a classic truck, I don't need it, I want it.

I would like to carry a Smart Car, on the truck, carrying the Smart Car now takes up half the garage in my toy hauler this situation can't be continued.  I could modify my truck to haul the Smart Car but I would rather spend the money on a truck that I really want rather then improve the one that I now own.

I know going to a classic truck, 379 Pete, W900 KW, or Freightliner Classic, will cost me more in fuel, I know the turning radius is larger, I know the cabs are smaller, I know that going with a standard transmission will hurt the resale value, I know all these things but at this stage in my life I really don't care, I lust after and want a classic truck.

I am posting a link to the photo gallery of my truck and the work that has been done to it, I have recites for most of the work that has been done by shops but most has been done by my friend who is a Freightliner trained mechanic who is presently working for a local Freightliner shop and has his own shop and does work on the side.  Major items such as brakes, radiator, clutch and all accossieated parts and pieces have been replaced with NEW many within the last 5,000 miles to include David Dixon's super head light package.  I honestly don't fear taking the truck anywhere, I have faith in its being road worthy.

Here the link to the photos,    https://mr-cob.smugmug.com/Trucks/My-Freightliner-tou-hauler

So I am asking for folks to take a look at this truck and let me know thoughts as to what a reasonable price for it would be, the mileage on the truck is 788,129.2  and counting as I'll continue to use the truck until I find its replacement.  Hand calculated over the 65,000 miles that "I" have put on the truck since I have owned it my over all average fuel mileage has been 7.7mpg towing AT or slightly ABOVE what ever the posted speed limit is, the sweet spot with this truck is 68-72mph depending on wind and terrain, it has a ten speed three pedal auto shift transmission with a 3.55 rear axle.  Oh, if you have or know of a classic truck that I may be interested in PLEASE contact me.  Thanks.

Dave

Dave,

Just stumbled across this Pete listing and it happens to be in Sin City and........as much as I hate L V I do have to drive into the city a couple times in the near future so......I could perhaps run the "white-glove" over the pete and shoot some pics if you like......

http://www.rvclearinghouse.com/listings/view/17/toters-and-trucks-1978-359/10718

Let me know if you want a "geezer-glance' at the rig.....

Call me if you want at (520) 891-3695  or email mmcdan3189@aol.com

Drive on..........(Pete is........neat)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

On 11/13/2017 at 7:07 PM, Buscrusher said:

Having seen your truck in person I would jump on it in a heartbeat...if I had the $$ available. I don't care as much about the exterior spit and polish near as much as solid mechanicals, which I'm sure would be no issue for the next owner of your truck.

Howdy Doug,

Thank you for your comment on my truck, pretty paint and chrome will get the looks but it won't get you home, my truck fits into the latter category its a darn good running truck and I'll probably rue the day I sell it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Dave,

Just stumbled across this Pete listing and it happens to be in Sin City and........as much as I hate L V I do have to drive into the city a couple times in the near future so......I could perhaps run the "white-glove" over the pete and shoot some pics if you like......

http://www.rvclearinghouse.com/listings/view/17/toters-and-trucks-1978-359/10718

Let me know if you want a "geezer-glance' at the rig.....

Call me if you want at (520) 891-3695  or email mmcdan3189@aol.com

Drive on..........(Pete is........neat)

Howdy DT,

Thanks for asking to do a look-see, its to old, under powered and not long enough to haul a Smart Car, but I do THANK YOU for keeping me in mind.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

36 minutes ago, MrSeas said:

Howdy MrSeas,

Nice truck, at 141K about three times the money I am wanting to spend but THANKS for looking and sending me the link.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

43 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy MrSeas,

Nice truck, at 141K about three times the money I am wanting to spend but THANKS for looking and sending me the link.

Dave

Dave,

I read that as $14k, not $141k.  It looks like a nice clean truck.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

44 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

Dave,

I read that as 14K as well, it is a nice truck BUT, it has a small engine maybe 300HP?     The rear suspension is not an RV friendly set up either, sell the rear and get low air or flex air ?     Don't know how much of a "project" you want.

The truck is Vegas is WAY overpriced,

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

4 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Dave,

Howdy Chad,

"IF" its priced at 14K its WAY TO CHEAP from what I have seen and looked at, a Pete in that shape can't be had for 14K.  I may be wrong but I doubt it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived