Smith Point County Park, Long Island

Hobo John

I plan on visiting family on Long Island late summer/early autumn of 2018 and have identified Smith Point County Park at the east end of Fire Island National sea shore as possibly the best suited for my needs - close to family, pet friendly, beautiful location. I’m interested in hearing from Escapees with some experience staying at Smith Point regarding crowds, availability of sites, reservations (online or phone), in season/off season, or any other matter that may come to mind.

SKP# 136386

8 hours ago, Al F said:

Yes, it does help. I didn’t check rvparkreviews but bookmarked it for the future. Looks like a real good place to camp. I am concerned with booking a site given trouble i had navigating the online system and the fact that most, if not all, sites are snatched up soon after becoming available - a problem i have experienced before with other campgrounds and online reservation systems. Ill just have to try to get there after labor day.

SKP# 136386

• 2 weeks later...

I live on Long Island and have a 4 wheel drive permit for that beach.  The review describes it well.  As explained in the review,  you should have a family member make a reservation within minutes of the system opening up.  It's like getting tickets to a big concert.  A pain & worth it!  

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

• 3 weeks later...

You would need to have a Green Key Card to reserve at any of the county parks.  And then you can book 90 days out from arrival date.  But getting into Smith Point is like the Holy Grail.  Everybody wants it!  It sells out within minutes.

Maybe try Eastern Long Island campground in  Greenport NY.

Or Wildwood State Campground up in Shoreham/Wading River NY.

Can you park at the house you are visiting?

Hal from Long Island
2000 Volvo 770, Cummings N14, 10 Speed Eaton Auto-Shift
2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420 AMP Toy Hauler

rsz_1rsz_1both22.png

2 hours ago, Tackleberry said:

You would need to have a Green Key Card to reserve at any of the county parks.  And then you can book 90 days out from arrival date.  But getting into Smith Point is like the Holy Grail.  Everybody wants it!  It sells out within minutes.

Maybe try Eastern Long Island campground in  Greenport NY.

Or Wildwood State Campground up in Shoreham/Wading River NY.

Can you park at the house you are visiting?

Sleeping in my van at the house i will be visiting is not allowed and would be impossible to pull off surreptitiously (how’s that for a $2 word). If i recall my research at the time, the Smith Point campground is the only one within a reasonable distance to where i am going that allows pets so i am stuck with the task of trying my best to get a spot there before they are all snatched up.

Thanks for mentioning the Green Key Card. I am aware of this requirement but did not mention it but anyone else coming across this thread would need to know that.

SKP# 136386

Check out Cathedral Pines. Much closer than Smith Point, and much easier to get into.  They have some sites with electric.  Do you have a bathroom in the Sprint?

http://suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/Parks/OurParks/CathedralPinesCountyPark.aspx

Or wildwood state park is close to there too.

Hal from Long Island
2000 Volvo 770, Cummings N14, 10 Speed Eaton Auto-Shift
2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420 AMP Toy Hauler

rsz_1rsz_1both22.png

15 hours ago, Tackleberry said:

Check out Cathedral Pines. Much closer than Smith Point, and much easier to get into.  They have some sites with electric.  Do you have a bathroom in the Sprint?

http://suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/Parks/OurParks/CathedralPinesCountyPark.aspx

Or wildwood state park is close to there too.

I have a cassette toilet.

Neither Cathedral Pines nor Wildwood allow pets. I travel with a 35lb. Australian Shepherd mix. In my original research i found that only Smith Point allows pets.

SKP# 136386

Try these guys.  About 30 min. south of your friend.  They may have a place you can park.

Eddy's Trailer Sales Inc

3160 Horseblock Rd
Medford, NY 11763
(631) 776-2787

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Archived