Difference between Torque and Clamp

spindrift

Back in the day, I used the incorrect grease on the headbolt of a Cummins 1710.  I never made that mistake again.  So many times we hear about someone's "X" brand torque wrench being better than another's "Y" brand torque wrench.  All the while, it's the K that will get 'ya.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

When I was doing propeller repair in the AMY I used a dial micrometer to measure the stretch of the assembly bolts as stretch was the true indication to the clamping pressure.  Torque was not accurate enough.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Turn of the nut is frequently used in drilling industry, but i have yet to see it used for automotive uses.  

I havent seen huck bolts anywhere but on truck frames, but i can see their usefulness. 

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

4 minutes ago, Exile said:

Turn of the nut is frequently used in drilling industry, but i have yet to see it used for automotive uses.  

I havent seen huck bolts anywhere but on truck frames, but i can see their usefulness. 

I have seen light torque plus degreed turn often used in the automotive and aircraft industry.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

7 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

I have seen light torque plus degreed turn often used in the automotive and aircraft industry.

There was a group of Cummins enthusiasts that had this guy named Mongo as part of the group.... Mongo had torque values of grunts... 1short huff=125ftlb, 1 quiet grunt=150ish, 1 vocal grunt=175, loud=200 and on up to about 250ftlbs.  He was pretty accurate... :lol:

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We use either turn of the nut or a DTI (Direct Tension Indicator) washer in the structural steel world. Auto and truck for newer vehicles include a lot of torque to yield fasteners where you hit a torque value and turn an additional number of degrees past that to elongate the bolt to get the correct clamping force.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

13 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Auto and truck for newer vehicles include a lot of torque to yield fasteners where you hit a torque value and turn an additional number of degrees past that to elongate the bolt to get the correct clamping force.

That's the way the headbolts are on my little Cummins. Three torque values then it was +90* for final torque.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Even John Deere is using tension fastening.  The stalk roll nuts on my corn head are torqued to a low value, then turned another 60 degrees to get the final clamping force. But they still come loose.:(

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 minute ago, Mntom said:

Red Locktite?

Cone washers and new nuts, with the lock-tite already in them, green of course.

Of course, there's more than one "red" and other colors.  The fly wheel on the end of the crank in my old Honda drag bike is held on by red 271, stud and bearing mount.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

What I find a bit peculiar. I was looking at a new 2018 Western Star daycab right next to a new 2018 Freightliner Cascadia daycab at my local Freightliner dealer. The Cascadia used huck bolts almost exclusively in the frame crossmember and suspension points, the Western Star used bolts in all the same locations. I wish these engineer types would make up their minds....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

:lol:  I've Hucked a Skidmore like the vid before......  Took it back to the toolroom and he just about blew a gasket.  Won't be doing that again!! :ph34r:

Not speaking Volvos, but Hucks are optional.  You can pick em if you want em.  Even at that, most critical bolts over 150~ish mm are going to be bolted TTY (AG380/FlexAir frame brackets are examples of this).  If you don't pick Hucks then your two critical Xmembers, skinny suspension frame brackets (AG400, ADZ), and 5th wheel mounts are going to be TC fasteners.  TC fasteners look like bolts but they are not.  If it doesn't have a flange nut or a nyloc nut then it is probably TC.  The other giveaway is that they are installed nuts out:

kw10.jpg

How they work:

http://lejeunebolt.com/lbc/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/howthetcboltworks.pdf  (ironworkers use the rivet head, trucks use a hex head)

How they are installed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlzSJao__k

12 hours ago, Exile said:

i worked for Ford engine  and way back in the mid '90s we were started  using light tork and degree of rotation (to a % of yield)

on mains and head bolts

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Archived