Need tax preparer/CPA recomendation

bruce S.

We are hitting the road soon and will be traveling for the next 3-5 years in our RV.  first stop is Livingston Texas to establish our Texas residency.  will need to get CPA/Tax preparer when we get there in December.  can anyone give me a recommendation for a good CPA in the Livingston/Houston area?   appreciate any recommendations.

Wow folks! Not one recommend for these new members?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I may have one and have asked if I can share the info. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On 11/8/2017 at 3:40 PM, bruce S. said:

We are hitting the road soon and will be traveling for the next 3-5 years in our RV.  first stop is Livingston Texas to establish our Texas residency.  will need to get CPA/Tax preparer when we get there in December.  can anyone give me a recommendation for a good CPA in the Livingston/Houston area?   appreciate any recommendations.

ralogan@etex.net  out of Winnsboro, TX. Works for a book keeping company and does personal taxes on the side. Have known her for 40+ years but haven't had her do my taxes yet. She will be doing my 2017. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Grab a copy of Turbo Tax Deluxe 2017, download from Amazon.com.  Take your 2016 tax year info and run that through the program.  See how that works.  You may be surprised to find that Turbo Tax does just as well as the CPA.   If your 2016 test works, just start a new return and do your 2017 tax year taxes yourself.

After all you have to gather all your income and deduction info to give to the CPA for them to enter in a tax program.  Why not try doing it yourself. 

Now if your income and expenses change each year and are really so complicated that you need a tax adviser that could be different.  However very few people have tax situations that drastically change every year.  Especially if retired. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We are hitting the road soon and will be traveling for the next 3-5 years in our RV.  first stop is Livingston Texas to establish our Texas residency.     appreciate any recommendations.

Welcome to the Club as there is lots of knowledge on these pages so read between the lines because only you know all the detail and your plans. The best option will present its self.

I don't know how you did your taxes before but I have continued to use my previous state CPA even after establishing my Texas residency. The transactions of Income, selling a home and hobby with possible gains would been frightful to me. So the first my Year was peace of mine, stay with the old.

It is easy for someone outside of Texas to file for a Texas resident because no Texas income tax which could more troubling visa-versa. I questioned that a few years back and there are CPA's in Livingston area that welcome doing various state taxes.

When you get to Polk county start looking for someone to do your 2018 taxes

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

• 2 weeks later...

Consider looking up an “Enrolled Agent” via naea.org website. We are licensed by the IRS and generally specialize in individual tax preparation. DIY option is like anything else...if you know what you are doing, you might save a few bucks. Doing it yourself can cause frustration and potentially lost opportunities. The digital options aren’t free, often charging unexpected fees.

Archived