Semi Confused -LOL get it semi Ha! Ha!

Vegas Teacher

Is it going to be impossible for me to find parts for the Volvo in 10 years? I have a 2010 Volvo 780 Ishift transmission. I had a recent response that lead me to believe that since I am not a mechanic and did not or have not fixed everything I have to fix on it "Yesterday" that I would never be able to get if fixed if I did not fix it "Tomorrow" or sooner. Or that I did not have enough common sense to do this already. So yes I knew of some things that needed to be fixed. I have fixed some big things so far - Two new steers Brakes, Battery shut off, 4 new batteries, Inner cooler, Schrader Valves, tire repairs, wheel seals and shocks and I have even buffed out my own headlights making them brighter. However at the end of the day I only have so much money to both do repairs and pay for food. The Semi / Trailer is not my only hobby, yes I love it but it is not my only hobby. I also own 4 German Shepherds who are Schutzhund sport dogs trained in protection, tracking and obedience. This sport is not cheap and it is something my wife loves so a large chunk of money goes there each month. I also own multiple properties and I have payments on them out of my own pocket if my tenants are late on rent, these are investments to sell when I retire. Yes my head is above water on all of them. But I have to keep a reasonable amount of pocket change on hand to cover this. So I save and I save to do a big repair or upgrade or to have change just in case something goes south on me on a trip. When I bought my semi I had saved for three years and I purchased the semi free and clear no loan no interest, which is also what I will do with the Fuzion 420 I plan on buying in couple of years. This spring I am going to buy tires. At the Love's Truck Stop north of Las Vegas on I - 15 they can sell me set of 8 drives for 2800.00 after taxes, another made a comment like I would not be able to get them if I did not buy them yesterday. Now after I do this I am going to have to save again to get the bed built and for the wiring to be done. 

Before you read my list of questions I would like to thank the forum members like Jack Mayer, Rick and Alana, wrknrvr, Imurphy AV8er, Bg5'er and many others for advice on the snow, they were really polite and gave me good advice. May not been what I wanted to hear but the way the advice was delivered it was friendly and polite, like an administrator teaching a teacher or a teacher redirecting the behavior of a student done correctly. So thanks for the advice on driving on snow, I have decided not to do it, I just really wanted to hear from those who had, yes I really did have to ask for the people out there who were wondering.

So a few questions I guess I have is / are:

1. Am I stupid because I don't over spend and do things when I can afford to do them?

2. Will I be able to get parts for my truck in 5 or 10 years or will they all vanish off of the face of the earth?

3. Was I supposed to know everything about how drive and repair a semi "In Vitro?"

4. Did it take others on the site a while to learn the "inns" and "outs" of the semi?

5. Is it O.K. that I bought the semi now to have and learn on little by little now while I am still working in preparation for when I retire?

6. Is it O.K. that I take the semi out near Vegas and drive short trips with it to get the fluids ran through the system?

7. Or should I sell it because I want to take my time and do things at my own pace, like getting my CDL this spring when I am on spring break and have the 2500.00 saved up for truck driving school?

Just curious???????????? 

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana 

Cory,

Don’t fret.  My truck is a 2006 Ultrashift and parts and mechanics will be available for years to come. Don’t always believe the “Chicken  Littles”.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Relax and drive, it is not a sports sedan, but it is just a truck.

Save the $2500 toward the bed build.

Drive using common sense, the truck weighs three times what my one ton weighs.

I drive accordingly. No tailgating, slow turns, look ahead for trouble etc.

These trucks will have parts available for decades.  They have so many still on the road from the late 90's, there is no worry of discontinued parts.

I owned the truck for 5 months, before I took my first 2500 mile vacation.

So glad I bought it, so much safer easier to drive than my one ton.

Get your hands dirty, and seek advice when attempting something new.

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

56 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Is it going to be impossible for me to find parts for the Volvo in 10 years? ... This spring I am going to buy tires.

...So a few questions I guess I have is / are:

1. Am I stupid because I don't over spend and do things when I can afford to do them?

2. Will I be able to get parts for my truck in 5 or 10 years or will they all vanish off of the face of the earth?

3. Was I supposed to know everything about how drive and repair a semi "In Vitro?"

4. Did it take others on the site a while to learn the "inns" and "outs" of the semi?

5. Is it O.K. that I bought the semi now to have and learn on little by little now while I am still working in preparation for when I retire?

6. Is it O.K. that I take the semi out near Vegas and drive short trips with it to get the fluids ran through the system?

7. Or should I sell it because I want to take my time and do things at my own pace, like getting my CDL this spring when I am on spring break and have the 2500.00 saved up for truck driving school?

Just curious???????????? 

Later,

Cory,

Just a few thoughts that aren't necessarily in the same order as your questions....

1) I wouldn't buy new drives in the spring if you still have a few years before you buy your trailer. Since with our use tires will usually age out before they're wore out, I might even consider used tires if they're in good shape and not jacked up.

2) I wouldn't pay $2500 to get a CDL. Admittedly I'm a bit hard-headed and like to learn some things on my own, but $2500 seems a bit outrageous.

3) You'll be able to find parts for years to come, no worries there.

4) Instead of paying to have your bed built, have you given any thought to building it yourself? Start out now with small projects, build your confidence and skill, and progress to the bed. Between building the bed, delaying the tire purchase, and forgoing CDL school, that's a ~$10k savings.

5) We all have to start somewhere except for the ones that come out knowing it all. Those are usually the same ones that were born in a log cabin that they built themselves. For the rest of us, we pay attention, learn as we go along, take our time, and build our skill sets.

6) I'm right there with you as far as buying in advance. I still have 9 years to go before I retire AND live overseas but already bought my truck b/c the deal was too good to pass up. Even if I had invested what I paid for it, I'll still be competitive price wise in 9 years. Plus, like you, I can build it up as I have the time and know that come retirement day, I can get in the truck and drive off right then. Plus, with 9 years before DDay, I'll have ample time to watch deals and buy all the parts for pennies on the dollar.

17 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

Relax and drive, it is not a sports sedan, but it is just a truck.

Save the $2500 toward the bed build.

Drive using common sense, the truck weighs three times what my one ton weighs.

I drive accordingly. No tailgating, slow turns, look ahead for trouble etc.

These trucks will have parts available for decades.  They have so many still on the road from the late 90's, there is no worry of discontinued parts.

I owned the truck for 5 months, before I took my first 2500 mile vacation.

So glad I bought it, so much safer easier to drive than my one ton.

Get your hands dirty, and seek advice when attempting something new.

Michael

Thanks, and I appreciate your advice - I currently have a bumper pull also 23.5 long. I can't wait to get my lights / brakes done so I can take it out and use it! I love your picture is looks very nice!

12 minutes ago, Black said:

Cory,

Just a few thoughts that aren't necessarily in the same order as your questions....

1) I wouldn't buy new drives in the spring if you still have a few years before you buy your trailer. Since with our use tires will usually age out before they're wore out, I might even consider used tires if they're in good shape and not jacked up.

2) I wouldn't pay $2500 to get a CDL. Admittedly I'm a bit hard-headed and like to learn some things on my own, but $2500 seems a bit outrageous.

3) You'll be able to find parts for years to come, no worries there.

4) Instead of paying to have your bed built, have you given any thought to building it yourself? Start out now with small projects, build your confidence and skill, and progress to the bed. Between building the bed, delaying the tire purchase, and forgoing CDL school, that's a ~$10k savings.

5) We all have to start somewhere except for the ones that come out knowing it all. Those are usually the same ones that were born in a log cabin that they built themselves. For the rest of us, we pay attention, learn as we go along, take our time, and build our skill sets.

6) I'm right there with you as far as buying in advance. I still have 9 years to go before I retire AND live overseas but already bought my truck b/c the deal was too good to pass up. Even if I had invested what I paid for it, I'll still be competitive price wise in 9 years. Plus, like you, I can build it up as I have the time and know that come retirement day, I can get in the truck and drive off right then. Plus, with 9 years before DDay, I'll have ample time to watch deals and buy all the parts for pennies on the dollar.

Black,

Nice to see there is somebody out there with the same mindset as me. I like the idea of building my own bed. I do weld and think that would be a fun project. I probably just need to talk to some good welders on the forum and love the Log Cabin line, that was classic LMAO man really hard too!!!!!

1 hour ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Just curious???????????? 

Later,

1.  You are not stupid for trying to stay within a budget.  My wife does her best to keep me in line in this regard.  Sometimes I go a little overboard on stuff, but I do understand there is only so much money to go around.

2.  My truck is a 2000 model year and no longer made by Kenworth and there are still parts readily available for it.  Most everything underneath the skin is common to not just my make and model.  Even if the dealer may not have a part (which I have never come across), there were so many T2's on the road that a truck dismantler will probably have what I need.  The same will be true for the Volvo.

3.  I grew up driving all kinds of equipment on family ranches and had family in the trucking business, so I have a bit of a head start when it comes to driving an HDT, but it is not rocket science and does not take much effort to learn.  You just need to think ahead a little more when driving an HDT versus a smaller vehicle.

4.  I learn new stuff all the time about my HDT.  Some stuff is from hands on tinkering and some is from talking to other owners.  I am no mechanic, but I can work my way through a lot of things with advice from others and the internet.

5.  I've had my HDT for around 5 years and I still have another 4 to 6 years to go before I retire.  It has been a great experience so far and I am glad I did it when I did.

6.  We take our rig (HDT and 5er) out at least once a month for weekend trips (usually 3 or 4 days at a time).  It is our goal to use it at least once a month while we are both still working and then 1 or 2 longer trips a year as well.  I also use the HDT for errands now and then.  I sold my dually when I bought the HDT, so it is my "big" pickup now.

7.  If you really want an HDT for travel (and it sounds like you do), I would not consider selling at this point.  You are a new owner with a learning curve ahead of you, but we have all been there.  You will learn as you go like we all did.  I know you have discussed the CDL school before.  I personally would not go that route, but that is a personal preference thing.  The CDL school is going to do nothing to increase your mechanical knowledge of the truck.  It is going to teach you to pass a pre-trip inspection and to pass a CDL driving test and (on edit) to keep up with mandated logging.  You will get seat time with an instructor that may be beneficial to you, but I don't know if it will be worth the money it costs.  There are other ways to get the same experience for less money.  Personally, I would put that $2500 to a different use - like mechanical items on the truck.  This is just my opinion on this though.

You just need to remember that nothing related to the HDT is an emergency.  Don't get overwhelmed by trying to do everything at once.  Take things slowly and one at a time.  The first 3 years I owned my HDT, I took things slow and concentrated on getting it mechanically sound.  We used it for short trips and used those trips to figure out what was an immediate need for fixing and what was a down the road need.  The HDT is now mechanically in great shape (hopefully I haven't jinxed myself by saying that).  There are still some little things I want to do to it, but overall it has been great.

I'll be in Vegas with some friends and my rig for the NASCAR race at the end of February/beginning of March.  Maybe we can get together while I'm there.

Good luck and remember, take a deep breath and relax.  Nothing is ever as bad as it seems at first.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Cory, from what I can see, you are doing things just fine. Build as your budget allows. Simple, but realistic. If you can weld, build it yourself! You will probably need a grinder with a few wheels to improve the first welds, but you will get better. Far as getting a CDL, the driving part of the training would be good, but the part about the "paperwork" side would be useless to you unless you plan on becoming a commercial driver. I am going to purchase a truck this spring (I hope) and like you will only do things as the budget allows, so don't worry about the 'chicken littles' as Suite Success said. So what if it takes you two years to get the bed on it? It's yours so it is your pace. Do it as you see fit.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

29 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Thanks, and I appreciate your advice - I currently have a bumper pull also 23.5 long. I can't wait to get my lights / brakes done so I can take it out and use it! I love your picture is looks very nice!

Build the bumper pull hitch first.  Super easy build, get a Jackalopee from Henry(He is brilliant, and offers great advice freely, thanks Henry:).

Then go camping.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

30 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

1.  You are not stupid for trying to stay within a budget.  My wife does her best to keep me in line in this regard.  Sometimes I go a little overboard on stuff, but I do understand there is only so much money to go around.

2.  My truck is a 2000 model year and no longer made by Kenworth and there are still parts readily available for it.  Most everything underneath the skin is common to not just my make and model.  Even if the dealer may not have a part (which I have never come across), there were so many T2's on the road that a truck dismantler will probably have what I need.  The same will be true for the Volvo.

3.  I grew up driving all kinds of equipment on family ranches and had family in the trucking business, so I have a bit of a head start when it comes to driving an HDT, but it is not rocket science and does not take much effort to learn.  You just need to think ahead a little more when driving an HDT versus a smaller vehicle.

4.  I learn new stuff all the time about my HDT.  Some stuff is from hands on tinkering and some is from talking to other owners.  I am no mechanic, but I can work my way through a lot of things with advice from others and the internet.

5.  I've had my HDT for around 5 years and I still have another 4 to 6 years to go before I retire.  It has been a great experience so far and I am glad I did it when I did.

6.  We take our rig (HDT and 5er) out at least once a month for weekend trips (usually 3 or 4 days at a time).  It is our goal to use it at least once a month while we are both still working and then 1 or 2 longer trips a year as well.  I also use the HDT for errands now and then.  I sold my dually when I bought the HDT, so it is my "big" pickup now.

7.  If you really want an HDT for travel (and it sounds like you do), I would not consider selling at this point.  You are a new owner with a learning curve ahead of you, but we have all been there.  You will learn as you go like we all did.  I know you have discussed the CDL school before.  I personally would not go that route, but that is a personal preference thing.  The CDL school is going to do nothing to increase your mechanical knowledge of the truck.  It is going to teach you to pass a pre-trip inspection and to pass a CDL driving test and (on edit) to keep up with mandated logging.  You will get seat time with an instructor that may be beneficial to you, but I don't know if it will be worth the money it costs.  There are other ways to get the same experience for less money.  Personally, I would put that $2500 to a different use - like mechanical items on the truck.  This is just my opinion on this though.

You just need to remember that nothing related to the HDT is an emergency.  Don't get overwhelmed by trying to do everything at once.  Take things slowly and one at a time.  The first 3 years I owned my HDT, I took things slow and concentrated on getting it mechanically sound.  We used it for short trips and used those trips to figure out what was an immediate need for fixing and what was a down the road need.  The HDT is now mechanically in great shape (hopefully I haven't jinxed myself by saying that).  There are still some little things I want to do to it, but overall it has been great.

I'll be in Vegas with some friends and my rig for the NASCAR race at the end of February/beginning of March.  Maybe we can get together while I'm there.

Good luck and remember, take a deep breath and relax.  Nothing is ever as bad as it seems at first.

Chad,

Thanks, will you be staying on the infield or up on "Snob Hill" at Nascar? I stayed on the infield with my buddies one year for the 3 day event it was a blast. I was told "Snob Hill" was the area over looking the track at the end where most of the motor coach people stayed. my phone number is 702-672-7990 If you are able to get off property and come over to the Aliante Casino (15 minutes from the track) there are quite a few of us here in Vegas that I am sure from the forum I can get to meet up together!

Later,

Cory Ossana

20 minutes ago, Mntom said:

Cory, from what I can see, you are doing things just fine. Build as your budget allows. Simple, but realistic. If you can weld, build it yourself! You will probably need a grinder with a few wheels to improve the first welds, but you will get better. Far as getting a CDL, the driving part of the training would be good, but the part about the "paperwork" side would be useless to you unless you plan on becoming a commercial driver. I am going to purchase a truck this spring (I hope) and like you will only do things as the budget allows, so don't worry about the 'chicken littles' as Suite Success said. So what if it takes you two years to get the bed on it? It's yours so it is your pace. Do it as you see fit.

Thanks for the comment and I so agree with you. I need to buy a nice Lincoln Welder, I have a harbor freight item now. It works but could be better.

Cory Ossana

35 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Chad,

Thanks, will you be staying on the infield or up on "Snob Hill" at Nascar? I stayed on the infield with my buddies one year for the 3 day event it was a blast. I was told "Snob Hill" was the area over looking the track at the end where most of the motor coach people stayed. my phone number is 702-672-7990 If you are able to get off property and come over to the Aliante Casino (15 minutes from the track) there are quite a few of us here in Vegas that I am sure from the forum I can get to meet up together!

Later,

Cory Ossana

I am not exactly sure where we are setting up camp.  This will be my first time at a NASCAR event, but I am going with some friends that go every year.  They get several sites each year.  This year they offered one to me and I decided to give it a shot.  My wife isn’t coming, but a buddy from work will be tagging along with me.  We’ll be there for a week.  I will get in touch when it gets closer.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Nope everything we do is on a budget.  Take care of the stuff that can kill you.  Tires will age out before you wear them out.  What is the date code on your tires now?  A tire shop will always tell you the best time to buy is now... and that your current tires are junk.   

We have a 1998 Volvo.  Parts are everywhere... 

NOPE...  It takes time.  You need to use it 2-3 hours a month, Sunday afternoon, Wednesday evening, driving.  GEt outside the city and drive for 50 miles.  It good for the truck and you.  

Still learning..... every time I drive I learn something.... usually by the "LOOK" I get from the passenger side....

YUP... take all the time you need.  BE safe.  Cleaning your headlights was a great start!

As I said earlier, Drive the truck.  It takes hours/days/months to become familiar with every little rattle, squeak, noise.  I drive ours as our daily driver.... After 120,000 miles I know most of the "Usual" noises.... It the new noises that get my attention now.

Going thru the CDL classes is a good idea.  You will learn the correct way to drive your truck.  Actually getting the CDL is up to you.  

DON'T sell the truck.  You have a plan, just follow it.  You're a teacher, do your research, learn your truck.  Buy some coveralls and crawl under it and start identifying parts and pieces.  Buy a grease gun, cheapie Harbor Freight, and see how many of the 2000 grease fittings you can find on a Sunday afternoon... Volvo has a diagram for them all.....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Cory,

I am like you just getting into this HDT thing. A couple of things, Craigslist is your friend where you can score some of the tools you need to start on this project. Then also check out pawn shops for used tools.  Trying to purchase all this equipment new is crazy for just one or 2 projects. Then find your local metal supply business and get to be friends with them they will become your favorite shop. They might even give you some ideas as far as companies that scrap out a lot of metal from projects they do. Might be able to score some material for real reasonable. Also might try some scrap yards as they might have some material you can use. The idea is to keep Mama happy and feed your need without breaking the bank or hurting it very much. You will be surprised how on the cheap you can do this with some thinking outside the box.

Tom

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

Hi Cory, 

I bet you're that teacher that participates WITH his students and encourages the heck out of (most) everything they say and do.  

No way can I improve on the advice and encouragement already written to you, but I think you are doing this the right way as outlined by you here.  I think just maybe, this particular truck choice was, well, borderline.  By that I mean the diagnosis and repairs have been uncomfortable and stressful.   And too often!  

Approaching a big subject gradually is the only thing that makes any sense to me.   I'm an old automotive guy, so some things are second nature.  Driving and maintaining a semi is not in my background at all.  Well EXCEPT for a brief infatuation with a 23 channel CB radio once.

About planning that flatbed, I'm at the same stage you are.  I am shopping for a deal on a used steel flatbed on Craigslist and Racing Junk.  They can be found.  Lots of steel beams too.  The prices are usually not so great or the size is wrong, like you I'm not in a hurry.  Maybe you can tack weld a bed enough to get it to a welder to finish? Just a thought.

Good Luck,

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Cory,

Just slow down and quit fretting.  Like everyone's said, you have nothing to worry about, getting parts in the future. Don't plan so far ahead that you scare yourself, or your wife.  Just tackle little projects as needed, and delay the big expenses until it's time.  You're not the only one in this boat.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Cory,

I'm not sure who is giving you that bad advice, but  you need to carefully consider their "qualifications". :(

Your truck will have parts available for probably your entire life. They are not going away anytime soon.  As far as owning the rig now, vs later, that is up to you.....either way works, and frankly having it and taking your time to get it the way you want it is probably wise. It takes awhile to get acquainted with all-things-HDT if you have not been around them before. And driving it is good for it....drive it as much as you can, as long as it is in safe condition.

As far as learning goes, I've been around larger trucks pretty much all my life and I still learn something every day. Every Rally I go to I learn something!!  That is why I keep going back (well, one reason).

Try not to worry too much - it's all good.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

8 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Just curious???????????? 

Later,

Cory,

We are going to sound like a broken record but you will see that there are many others very similar to you in this group and my response will be pretty much the same as others. Just try not to get discouraged. Think about what you teach the kids when they are not getting something the first time though an assignment.

1) Not stupid at all, we do this on a budget and I was spending much more on a dually that would be much more expensive to replace than the HDT.

2) As others have said, yep,  for many years. There are much older trucks still on the road today and they seem to be able to find parts!

3) No, we learn as we go. When we bought our truck, we had lots of research but had only driven one HDT for  about 5-10 miles. My son and I bought our truck in Texas and drove it home back to Minnesota with aside trip to Indiana to help our other son out who had a house fire. I think we put 1500 miles on the truck that first trip! I have a video of us playing with the air ride seats on the way home.

4) Yes, we have owned ours for 5 years now and we still are learning but now we can help others with what we have learned. 

5) Perfectly OK , we still work for a living and have 2 -1/2 more years to go till retirement. I wish I had found out about the HDT's even sooner. It has actually changed our outlook at retirement, where no we want to travel more and for longer periods like 3-4 months at a time when we retire (the wife has said NO to full timing it, she wants  sticks and bricks to come back home too)

6) Perfectly OK, ours sometimes will sit for months (especially when we lived in MN and it sat all winter), but we still manage to put on 10-15k miles a year.

7) In my opinion, I would not sell it, it is already paid for, so what doe sit cost you to hang onto it, just plates and insurance, a little but of fuel for your run around trips,  an oil change once a year, and repairs to keep it safe.

In our opinion, while the CDL class might be helpful to you, we did not feel we needed it, but we had already pulled our same trailer with a dually for about 3 years and managed to not wipe anything out and the HDT was mainly taller and about the same width and length until we added our bed.

Regarding the tires, do what others have said and check the date codes to see how old and check the tires for dry rot cracks. Go to truck stops and see if you can chat with a local owner operator and see who they use for service and tires in the area.

Regarding the bed, if you can weld that is one plus you have over me, luckily my sons both weld and while I designed it, they help me build our truck bed. We did do more that we needed to but we also like having nice looking and functional vehicles. We had a build thread on year when we did it 4 years ago but even you can find it all of the pictures are on photobucket which will not show up on here any more. If you want to check it out, I can post a link to our photobucket page. If I just needed a bed just to get buy, I would probably  build a treated wood one because of my lack of welding skills.

Go to rally when you can and make lots of friends, they will probably be your friends for life even if they move on to motorhomes, etc... We try to make the ECR rally each year now and miss going to the National Rally that we did for 2 years (we will get back to that one soon). This is a great group.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I think it is a complete waste of your time and money!!

You should get out while you are still alive.

Out of the kindness of my heart, I would pay you pennies on the dollar for that technological dinosaur,  for parts to use on my dinosaur.

But you need to hurry before it's too late!

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

40 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

John, you would most certainly start a bidding war!!

Rocky, 

It won't be much of a bidding war if they see that the truck is ORANGE.......lol

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

5 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

Out of the kindness of my heart, I would pay you pennies on the dollar for that technological dinosaur,  for parts to use on my dinosaur.

X2.........X3........4X

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

10 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

I'll bit tree fiddy........ even if it is orange:D

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Archived