Blood testing, PT/INR

Pepper2

I have to have monthly blood tests also due to my chemo meds. My oncologist gave me standing orders that are on my tablet. I just print them out every month and go to any lab in the area. They get faxed to my dr. Here in Plainview there is no independent lab so I just go to the local clinic. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I am monitered by the coumadin clinic at the VA. I am on Medicare so the VA gives me a standing order (on paper In my case) and I take it to a local lab.  I try for Quest labs or another big one is Labcorps.  Some places they have smaller local labs that you can find on line or even contacting a local Dr office and ask who they use.  Sometimes you may have to go to a lab at a local hospital. I did that once in Livingston while at Rainbows End, once at Deming and once in Farmington NM. There is a

Quest in Memphis that used be convienent but they moved across town and I found  a smaller local lab that was more availble.  Most or all of the one's I have been to would accept an order faxed from the Dr.  VA usually writes one good for a year but Labcorps in some states requires one not over 6 months old. Doesn't make sense to me but they contacted the Coumadin clinic and got a newer one faxed. That might be because I always try to befriend the one with the needle. The medicare covers the cost of the  test outside the VA. I assume that would be the case with an insurance company.

For my cholesterol blood check, I just went to the nearest hospital and found the lab desk. After I verified they accept my insurance, I just called my doctor and gave the nurse the lab phone# and fax#. Later I called to check that the lab had the order and went in the next day for blood sample. It was pretty easy and I already knew where to go.

Greg

I have the same issue during the summer in the UP of MI. Also there are no LabCorp any where near my summer place. I have my doctor send lab orders to a clinic/hospital about 35 miles away. When I go I have to pay with a 30% discount it is $35.00. good luck

• 4 weeks later...

My summer place in the UP of MI is far away from any Cardiologist. I have found that public clinic's can be cheaper then a doctor's office. You only need the doctor to give an order to a clinic and provide the results back to the doctor. But even the clinic that I use in MI doesn't have the test machine for a finger prick. When I go there during the summer they draw blood and it takes about 30 minutes for the result which I don't wait for. The doctor's office who issued the orders receives the result and they call me. I much prefer the finger prick and you get the results on the spot. Good Luck

2 hours ago, whj469 said:

Self testing is not an option for me because I would have to buy the test machine. When I last inquired insurance or Medicare wouldn't pay the $4,000 for the test machine. Maybe they are less now?

You might want to look at this:  https://myphm.com/coumadin-patients/.  They say it is covered by Medicare.   Quick google search reveals several manufacturers which means price is way down.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

My dr gives me a standing order. I then scan it into my tablet and print it out as needed. I go to a lab if available or a clinic if not and have it drawn. Haven’t had to pay yet..

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived