Bobtail mileage

ARGO

I'm contemplating a several hundred mile trip to get a trailer with my VNL. I rarely go very far w/o the whole rig, anybody got a WAG on what mileage they see? I realize every truck is different, but a difference between BT & towing a trailer will get me in the ballpark to see if I should pay a transporter instead.

(BTW, boat on trailer from Orlando to Balt)

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

My Volvo 610 with Detroit 60 (435/1650)  is singled short with no bed 10spd manual with 3.58 gearing. I get 10-11 BT (have seen as high as 12 in the right conditions). I usually avg mid 8's to 9 towing, lowest for me is about 7.5 towing with a good headwind or lots of climbing. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Almost no difference.....

Our toybox is under 10k And our Morgan Cargo box stands at 12'-2" so we have a built in headwind in normal wind conditions..... 

I flight plan @ 10 mpg but have seen as low as 7 and high as 13.5 with a big tail wind.

Cummins has a nice chapter on their website regarding the aero-effects of trucks and various factors pertaining to milage and improvements that can be obtained.....

Drive on.....(tail, cross, head.... Winds)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Jim, my Dodge 1 ton was getting 12-14 towing, 18-22 normal driving.

Our Volvo seems to be doing 9-10 towing so far, but the slight decrease in mileage is more then paid for with the confidence I have in towing with the 780.

Thank you again for sharing the HDT lifestyle with my wife and I, we will for ever be grateful.

Michael and Licia

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

My truck must be the exception to the rules.  I get 9-10 bobtail or towing the 5er.  It doesn't seem to make much difference.  

My LGT Dodge Cummins gets about 18 empty and 7 towing the 5er. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

What we are seeing is that every truck was set up different.... rear gear, transmissions, power/torque, overall weight,  length, design- condo/mid roof/low roof, the design of the 5'er rear- how much drag does it create?  If we swapped around trucks, we would see a difference in mileage just on driver behavior/input.  How hard do you smash the skinny pedal from a light? East coast flat highway- Florida style with concrete will have better mileage than midwest "flat" that you may be on a slight incline and not realize it.  Another item of difference is the tires.  Some are a highway long distance tire with very low rolling resistance, some are more regional made for hard turns and scrubbing, some may be better on dirt/gravel.  Also the road surface... whats the tension of the surface?  Hot asphalt in the summer gives a higher rolling resistance that perfect smooth concrete.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

7.0 to 8.9 towing at about 62-65 mph depending on speed and terrain (climbing mountains or constantly increasing elevation on a hot day with radiator fan cutting in and out with A/C on = 6 to 6.5 ).  Overall average is usually 8 mpg.  Bobtail improves about 2-4 MPG with same terrain variables - but I run faster bobtail which subtracts from the economy increase and makes it more like an average of 10 mpg average bobtail.  D12D engine 10 speed Meritor, singled.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

ARGO,

Can you ship that for $800 To $900(fuel)?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

• 2 weeks later...

Let's throw this into the mix. Because I bobtail pushing 20,000 miles a year, I have seen variations that defy logic. For one thing, although I have a real time mpg readout on the instrument panel ,and mine is fairly accurate, the only way to get it right is to fill up and get the calculator out. Rarely does anyone here bobtail enough to get those quality numbers. 

The percentage of bio diesel in a given load of fuel seems to make a big difference. One load of fuel might have none, and the next has 20%, the resulting BTU decline has to make a difference. And of course there is no way of knowing what is going in. Even temperatures of the fuel coming out of the storage tanks between fills can wreck the numbers, so called "hot fuel". which Canadian pumps compensate for by law, but US pumps do not. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I seem to buy less fuel with the Freightshaker. $100 goes further that the Chevy did. So I can't complain. Now bobtail the Chevy wins but not by a lot. Short trips, town, it burned a lot of fuel. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

37 minutes ago, beyerjf said:

Let's throw this into the mix. Because I bobtail pushing 20,000 miles a year, I have seen variations that defy logic. For one thing, although I have a real time mpg readout on the instrument panel ,and mine is fairly accurate, the only way to get it right is to fill up and get the calculator out. Rarely does anyone here bobtail enough to get those quality numbers. 

The percentage of bio diesel in a given load of fuel seems to make a big difference. One load of fuel might have none, and the next has 20%, the resulting BTU decline has to make a difference. And of course there is no way of knowing what is going in. Even temperatures of the fuel coming out of the storage tanks between fills can wreck the numbers, so called "hot fuel". which Canadian pumps compensate for by law, but US pumps do not. 

When we left North Dakota on Nov 1, all the fuel at the pumps was either No1 or a "Treated" winter blend.  Our bobtail mileage dropped a little, our towing mile dropped greatly.  

Glad to be in warmer territory!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins