Anode rod "tailings"(revisit)

oletimer

12 hours ago, Mntom said:

I just ordered and received THIS WATER SOFTENER and I just put it in operation yesterday. What a difference!! I was quite surprised when I pulled the anode out of my six month old trailer. It was pitted a lot and one part was almost 1/3 gone! Anyhow, the shower this morning felt just great. Even the coffee tastes better!

Back in the early-90s, we were lease holders at The Ranch in Lakewood, New Mexico.  That water came from about 750'-800' and came out the spout in chunks.  They now have RO water.  I purchased a softener just like the one on this link, and used it everywhere I went until it sprung a leak from rubbing the tool box during travel.  It was easy to hookup, and worked great for about 15 years.  "The Ranch" solved their problem, and I got lazy, soooo.  Might have to repair the old one, or purchase a new one.  However, I can tell the difference between lime, and calcium buildup, and anode flakes(tailings).  Had a softener at home for years(well water), and Mntom is correct, about the coffee, and shower.  Also you use much less soap, and things are easier to clean.  Hope the "Top Dog" doesn't see this comment, or I HAVE  to get that softener SOON.  I was just surprised the HW tank didn't come with a check valve, our first four 5th wheels must have had Attwood tanks, because we never had any back flow.  If I remember correctly, I had to regenerate (back flush & recharge) after 1K gallons of use.  BTW, those softeners can be mounted in the lower compartment, but would be hard to regenerate.

Thanks for ALL the comments, I'll just learn to take a nap before I have to recharge the softener.    Dick T 

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

20 minutes ago, Mntom said:

I believe you can turn it upside down to drain it. No resin comes out during shipping and I am sure that it was turned every way you can imagine then. The instructions tell you to dump some water out before you add the salt so I am sure you can drain it.

On my old one it had a drain, because if you removed the cap, and turned it upside down, the "pearls" would leak out.  The drain is slow, but works.  To back flush, you need to unhook from the RV.  Having said this, that is, IF it like the one  had.

Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

13 hours ago, Mntom said:

I just  received THIS WATER SOFTENER and I just put it in operation yesterday. Anyhow, the shower this morning felt just great.

I also like the water softer, but in asking talking to a couple sales rep's I got the same answer. My question was does one winterize the water softer. The answers were similar, You Can't.  Don't let it freeze. Keep it were it warm.

Thus my only choice is no water softer for rhe RV or have I been mis-informed.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

3 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

I also like the water softer, but in asking talking to a couple sales rep's I got the same answer. My question was does one winterize the water softer. The answers were similar, You Can't.  Don't let it freeze. Keep it were it warm.

Thus my only choice is no water softer for rhe RV or have I been mis-informed.

Like I said, the one I purchased (looked just like this one)in 1993, had a drain valve, but was very slow to drain.  That wasn't a big problem, because I always unhook the water supply, that is hoses, and filters anyway if things are going to freeze, and store them in the basement.  I did the same with the softener.  Would that be a problem for you?  Just askin'.   Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

I got an answer.

Tom,

You are supposed to store the softener with salt and water inside per

the "long term storage" directions.  You must also keep it away from

freezing weather conditions.

I also looked at the instructions: https://www.flowpur.com/RVPRO10000_Installation.pdf

On the bottom right side of the first page of the manual are the long term storage instructions. I tried to copy them here, but couldn't get it to copy properly.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

6 hours ago, Mntom said:

I got an answer

6 hours ago, Mntom said:

You are supposed to store the softener with salt and water inside per the "long term storage" directions.  You must also keep it away from freezing weather conditions.

Generally there is a period every other year between Nov and after Christmas we have parked the RV some where remote. This year is a little exceptionally long and 400 miles further north. It is to be 16 degrees tonight thus the water softer would have to be stored in the house. Then leaving after Christmas if the temperatures remain near sub zero I would have pack the water softer into a motel room at night. I could leave in Texas when I leave each spring then I wouldn't have soft water in Northern MN.

Another option, I should buy a cheap Water softer each winter upon arriving in Texas and sell summer. LOL

Thanks for leg work.

Clay 2015 DRV MS

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived