Best RV Generator?

RedRaider89

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:11 AM, Mntom said:

I got that information by looking up the parts. The engine on mine does not say Honda, but it is a Honda knockoff and YES, the coil and even the carb is the same ON MINE.

Oh, okay. Now I understand.  A Honda knockoff. Little different than the real thing. Again, I'm sorry, but Champion is not the same as a Honda.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

• 4 years later...
On 11/5/2017 at 4:13 PM, RedRaider89 said:

I am looking into buying a Generator for my RV when Boondocking and keeping it on my acreage.  Any advice?  I have my eye on a Champion 3400 Duel Fuel Gas/Propane Generator based on my research.  It needs to be able to power a 13,500 BTU AC unit.  Thanks. 

I had a honda 2000i for 13 years. Now I purchased GENMAX Portable Inverter Generator.
The difference in price might be worth taking a chance, there's no difference really to me it works well and that's all that matters.

On 11/5/2017 at 5:30 PM, Yarome said:

True. Output will also depend on elevation (even on gasoline), but on LP you'll want to calculate your needs at 80% of rated output. On the 3.4k the sustained is 3100 watts on standard fuel.

Even on LP you shouldn't have many issues running a 13.5k AirCon.

By way of suggestions... the Champion is a decent genny in it's class and adequate for occassional use. For long term use or full-timers that regularly boondock/dry camp, you might consider going with a Honda or Yamaha. They are a bit more expensive, but as is generally the case.. you get what you pay for in terms of clean output, fuel consumption and reliability. Maintanence /repair and customer service are also factors you might consider. Champion's can be very challenging in that regard whereas a Honda or Yamaha can be readily serviced just about anywhere and maintenance parts are readily available "off the shelf". The Honda would be the leader in the service center department. 

Many folks, myself included, go the dual portable route. Ie., 2x 2000watt portables. That allows for more economical use of a single generator for charging batteries and such while still having the capability to run heavy loads (ie., AirCon) by running them both in parallel when needed. Not to mention that 2 singles are much easier to maneuver and store due to their lighter weight and size.

Just food for thought. 

More food.  Chow down!

From personal experience....I have a Honda, Yamaha, and a couple of Champions. The 2400i Yam is converted to tri-fuel, although I normally *only* use it on Natural gas - and never on gasoline.

As noted - if you use *any* gen on propane, it will eat a lot of fuel.  Plan ahead.

(IMO) The Champion *IS*.... the Champion!

Service at Honda and Yamaha dealers takes second (3rd or 4th) place after M/Cs, ATVs and various other red and blue products.  You will/may.....wait and wait - and wait some more before "they" get to it.  I do know a few folks who work in the service depts and will admit it's an unfortunate fact.

Disclaimer - a lot depends on where you live!  Climate for vehicles as well as gen usage.  I'm in a year-round area with lots of (dry) off-roading, sand dunes & desert, etc. Many M/Cs, ATVs, etc.,  that "break" and need service ASAP.  They won't admit it, but profit from repair bills on high-ticket items may be the reason?

Champion service is outstanding - and if you search out one of the longest running threads on RV Net (is it OK to say that here?) you will find lots, and lots of info - for everything on the "early" Champions, as well as the later models. 

Usually *if* you need service - the shop recommended by Champion is *not* doing "vehicles" - only small engines.....like gens.

Bottom line - any of the three is a good choice....as well as some of the newer "players" - which may be mfg by Champion also.

Edited by Pappy Yokum