Hydralic landing gear

chief916

5 hours ago, chief916 said:

Any suggestions on what type of gear oil to use on my heartland 4100 TH front landing gear reservior?

If it is a Lippert you do not use gear oil, you use automatic transmission fluid. Please check with Heartland before you add something you should not. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

4 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

If it is a Lippert you do not use gear oil, you use automatic transmission fluid. Please check with Heartland before you add something you should not. 

Sorry for the mix-up...I will call Heartland on Monday.  Mntom...don't have anything datawise but thank you.

10 hours ago, chief916 said:

Sorry for the mix-up...I will call Heartland on Monday.  Mntom...don't have anything datawise but thank you.

If it is a Lippert system, forget about calling Heartland and just call Lippert.  You can also check the Lippert web site.  The answer may be there.

https://www.lci1.com/leveling-and-stabilization

I don't know if I would personally call Lippert. I have a remote that runs seven different things on my trailer that only had a few functions working. There is a "HELP" button on the remote and it says to call LCI. I called asking for troubleshooting and their response was a canned "We only sell those systems, we don't program them": I told them I was not asking about programming, just troubleshooting and got the exact same response........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

If it is a Lippert system, forget about calling Heartland and just call Lippert.  You can also check the Lippert web site.  The answer may be there.

https://www.lci1.com/leveling-and-stabilization

The front landing gear and slides on our RV operate on the same hydraulic system. The tank has a very clear label on it specifying the type of ATF and how to check the level. That is why I said to check to be sure. Hydraulic fluid and ATF have different characteristics and are not interchangeable.

To the OP, I presume there is no label on your tank?

11 hours ago, Chalkie said:

The front landing gear and slides on our RV operate on the same hydraulic system. The tank has a very clear label on it specifying the type of ATF and how to check the level. That is why I said to check to be sure. Hydraulic fluid and ATF have different characteristics and are not interchangeable.

To the OP, I presume there is no label on your tank?

Yessir...you are correct bout not having a label.  Thanks for your feed back.

21 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I understand that.  I said "IF" it is a Lippert unit, forget about calling HL and just call Lippert.  Lippert will be able to help the OP.  HL won't do squat.  Been there, done that.  And if the info is on the Lippert web site, the OP could have solved his problem without a phone call.

22 hours ago, Mntom said:

I don't know if I would personally call Lippert. I have a remote that runs seven different things on my trailer that only had a few functions working. There is a "HELP" button on the remote and it says to call LCI. I called asking for troubleshooting and their response was a canned "We only sell those systems, we don't program them": I told them I was not asking about programming, just troubleshooting and got the exact same response........

Interesting.  I've had nothing but good service from Lippert tech support when I had problems with their systems.

2 hours ago, remoandiris said:

I understand that.  I said "IF" it is a Lippert unit, forget about calling HL and just call Lippert.  Lippert will be able to help the OP.  HL won't do squat.  Been there, done that.  And if the info is on the Lippert web site, the OP could have solved his problem without a phone call.

I understood that you said "IF". Now IF the OPs system is Lippert, I got curious on how good the Lippert site is for Tech Support, and wow, just wow, did I have to do a lot of digging to find the info on the fluid. Here is what is said:

Fluid Recommendation The Lippert Electronic Leveling System is pre-filled, primed and ready to operate direct from the manufacturer. Type “A” Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is utilized and will work. ATF with Dexron III® or Mercon 5® or a blend of both is recommended by Lippert Components, Inc. In colder temperatures (less than 10° F) the jacks may extend and retract slowly due to the fluid’s molecular nature.

I finally found that information here in the Master Owner's Manual which I have saved to my computer as it may not be such a bad thing to have on hand IF your system is Lippert.

12 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I understood that you said "IF". Now IF the OPs system is Lippert, I got curious on how good the Lippert site is for Tech Support, and wow, just wow, did I have to do a lot of digging to find the info on the fluid. Here is what is said:

I finally found that information here in the Master Owner's Manual which I have saved to my computer as it may not be such a bad thing to have on hand IF your system is Lippert.

Thank you fellas...I think we have it all worked out... I do have a Lippert system and now a copy of the master Owners manual.  I greatly appreciate the knowledge base everyone has out there.

V/R

Ben (Chief916)

20 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Meh.  I have dealt with Lippert on their landing gear for my current coach and my previous one.  Phone calls worked well during their operating hours and the web site filled the gaps on the off hours.  They even gave me a free controller upgrade when mine went inop a few weeks past warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how old this thread is but I have a hydraulic landing gear question. We have a Lippert system, OEM was Petroblend, we had popping and per Lippert drained a qt out and added CAT Hydraulic Oil Additive, this did get rid of the popping. We are a bit low on hydraulic fluid but are now confused as what to add. Can I top off with ATF fluid? Should I use the regular Hydraulic fluid? Should I use the CAT additive?

Thanks as usual

Archived